Routing BGs

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Malty666
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Routing BGs

Post by Malty666 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:47 pm

When a BG routs, can it shift a base sidewards AND wheel in the same move.

The rules seem to indicate it can as it avoids troops and obstacles according to the evade rules (which allow the shift). And it also can wheel to face its rear table edge (to keep the distance as short as possible).

Is this right as it seems like a lot of structured moving for routers?

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:34 pm

Routers can indeed wheel and shift but they can only wheel in very prescribed ways. If routing in the JAP with no enemy BG in contact then routers wheel to face theor own base edge and then move. The wheel or move can include the shift.

What routers cannot do is wheel to an angle that will allow them to rout and shift. The direction of rout is fixed and the wheel is really just a mechanism for defining the exact path.

Routers and evaders can be a real pain (says someone who managed to lose 2 AP in one impact phase when a single evade burst through one fragmented and one disrupted BG, what made it worse was that they were the last 2 AP that took my army to broken :( )

Malty666
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Malty666 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:55 pm

LOL

The game we were playing - if his routers had burst through, he would have lost the game. We did the wheel to rear edge and then shift (after about 10 readings of the rules - it was our first game) and he ended up winning by a single point :cry:

My numidian cavalry rear charge on his already engaged triarii (who were fighting a fresh BG of African spearmen to the front) ended up with the numidians fragmented :oops:

But you roll the dice and have to accept where they fall....

deadtorius
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by deadtorius » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:16 am

Keep in mind that if your Numidians are cav and not LH when you hit him in the rear the POA's are ++ for you -- for him regardless and he drops a cohesion level on impact. LH will still get the ++ to -- but being lights don't cause their target to auto loss of cohesion for a rear charge. Better luck next time

Polkovnik
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Polkovnik » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:17 am

LH charging steady foot in the rear will be ++ but half the dice. This is a perfectly even fight. So if the foot are better quality (which the triarii will be) then the odds are in the favour of the foot.
However, the advantage then comes in melee as the triarii will fight against their original frontal opponent with half the dice and POA reduced by two factors.
As you found though, it has the potential to be a sacrifice of the LH to save the BG in front.

Malty666
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Malty666 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:05 pm

It was a last ditch attempt on my part to tip him over the break point of his army - he only had 1 point remaining - However, I was the one who ended up going over, losing 6 points in a really unlucky turn :roll:

C'est la guerre... :wink:

deadtorius

Post by deadtorius » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:04 pm

Unlucky turns.... been there had that happen to me....
Blathergut is famous for making his death rolls even with 3 or 4 hits against him and I am famous for rolling 1's on death rolls... bye bye elephants and companions :cry:

Return to “Rules Questions”