V2 Roman Auxilia now in 6's

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

V2 Roman Auxilia now in 6's

Post by petedalby » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:07 pm

I'm way off the pace on V2 so apologies if this has been asked before.

Roman auxilliary foot with Light Spear must now be in BGs of at least 6 in the Dominate and Foederate Roman lists.

Why does this not apply to Principate Roman or the Thracian Roman client option lists?

Thanks
Pete

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Re: V2 Roman Auxilia now in 6's

Post by philqw78 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:15 pm

Perhaps it was thought Graham Evans might not use them. Its the only valid reason I can see.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

ShrubMiK
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ShrubMiK » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:00 pm

Lol.

But why not ask the same question regarding minimum legionary BG sizes as well? That difference was always there...

Perhaps there is a feeling that the later Roman army was less flexible in its command and control than earlier.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:17 pm

ShrubMiK wrote:Lol.

But why not ask the same question regarding minimum legionary BG sizes as well? That difference was always there...

Perhaps there is a feeling that the later Roman army was less flexible in its command and control than earlier.
Indeed, though no doubt the revisionists will claim that the later Roman army was as good as the early in every respect.

Jhykronos
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Jhykronos » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:37 pm

rbodleyscott wrote: Indeed, though no doubt the revisionists will claim that the later Roman army was as good as the early in every respect.
Whataday mean "as good"? They were better, and we have forty years of ancients gaming data to prove it! :)

IanB3406
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by IanB3406 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:32 am

I'm feeling the late Romans could vary greatly in quality. I put Julian's army at Strasbourg as an example, where I believe all the infantry should be top quality and with archer support, to the point of making all auxilia and legions superior with possibly the primari as elite. Even the newly raised troops from Gaul where likely veterans from previous disbanded / defeated units beaten by the allamani. Certainly some of the auxilia should be as maneuverable as earlier legions, being described as able to recover and allowing the routing cataphracts to pass their lines while holding steady. Bg size is a very abstract way to represent this regardless. Mounted should be average at best.

Regardless, the medium foot classification is likely wrong nd a carry over from older rules. My ob has all as heavy foot in four + 2 archers.

It is likely other field armies where of lower quality.....but not this one.

Return to “Rules Questions”