Question re moving back 2 MU's.

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Robert241167
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Question re moving back 2 MU's.

Post by Robert241167 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:32 pm

Hi everyone

Just got back from a weekend at Robin Hoods Bay, Scarborough and Whitby and managed to get in a couple of games against Paul Johnston.

1 major rules query came up:

Does terrain that impacts a BG's movement also impact it's ability to about face, go back 2 MU's and turn back again?

It was light foot on a steep hill which have their move reduced to 4 MU's. I thought as they lost an MU that this would also impact other moves so they could only about face, go back 1 MU and turn back again.

Paul believed as their move was 4 MU in the terrain then they hadn't exceeded that so 2 MU was fine.

I thought this was unfair as clearly the move restricting terrain wasn't restricting this move.

It had no bearing on the outcome of the game but I was interested for future reference particularly for heavier skirmishers such as cavalry in terrain.

Cheers

Rob

AlanCutner
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: Question re moving back 2 MU's.

Post by AlanCutner » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:11 pm

Theres nothing that reduces the 2 MU allowance. Other than failing the CMT ofcourse.

ney63
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by ney63 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:45 pm

I disagree Alan you move the move distance of that terrain your in then take the 2 inch off that.

andy

AlanCutner

Post by AlanCutner » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:49 pm

LF and LH can move at least 2MU in all terrain types. So they can always move back 2MU if they pass the CMT to do so.

The only exceptions, and I modify my earlier answer accordingly, are Cv and LCh who are limited to a maximum of 1MU in difficult going. With that amendment I think we're saying the same thing.

petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by petedalby » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:38 am

I agree with Alan - 2MUs for all, unless the normal move in that terrain is reduced to less than 2 MU.
Pete

grahambriggs
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by grahambriggs » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:01 am

ney63 wrote:I disagree Alan you move the move distance of that terrain your in then take the 2 inch off that.

andy
Andy I believe you are thinking here about the "turn 90 and move" or the "expand and move" manouvers, where you do take the 2 inche off of the move distance.

This question is the "turn 180, move 2 MU and turn 180 again" manouver. Don't think it matters what sort of terrain you're in.

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:48 pm

This means if you are foolish enough to flank march with cavalry into a difficult river you can actually get on table.

Just deploy in single rank facing off table and CMT to move backwards 2 MU. Voila.

Wish I'd thought of that a couple of years ago.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

pyruse
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by pyruse » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:51 pm

philqw78 wrote:This means if you are foolish enough to flank march with cavalry into a difficult river you can actually get on table.

Just deploy in single rank facing off table and CMT to move backwards 2 MU. Voila.

Obviously it's easier to get horses into the river by backing them in; they don't get spooked that way.

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:00 pm

philqw78 wrote:This means if you are foolish enough to flank march with cavalry into a difficult river you can actually get on table.

You secretly did think about it, but if the CMT failed you would have been unable to come on board and therefore been lost. Since you were flank marching for fear of losing your hair you did not want to risk the CMT and prefer the gamey they never arrive therefore are not lost gambit.

8)

Return to “Rules Questions”