Early Mykenaean Chariots

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: hammy, philqw78, terrys, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Early Mykenaean Chariots

Post by dave_r »

It was pointed out to me that heavy chariots are defined as having three or four crew (page 126).

However, the Early Mykenaean list in Army Book One (and indeed in softer than beagles) states in the troop notes

"Although most chariots carried only two crewmen, the very heavy and relatively inflexible bronze plate armour (Dendra panoply) of chariot warriors in this period, the use of a long spear as main weapon, and the strengthened chariot structure compared with Near-Eastern types, suggest that they were intended primarily for close combat and should be classified as Heavy Chariots"

I've got all these Mykenaean chariots figures (with two crew) exactly as depicted in the picture in softer than beagles (ommitted from book one) so how does that work? Is anybody bothered?
Evaluator of Supremacy
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Early Mykenaean Chariots

Post by nikgaukroger »

dave_r wrote: Is anybody bothered?
No.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
madaxeman
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by madaxeman »

Taking a wild f--king stab in the dark here I'd suggest that the rules state that heavy chariots generally have 3-4 crew, however the Mycenean chariots are an exception to this general rule in also being classified as Heavy because of the very heavy and relatively inflexible bronze plate armour (Dendra panoply) of chariot warriors in this period, the use of a long spear as main weapon, and the strengthened chariot structure compared with Near-Eastern types (all of which suggest that they were intended primarily for close combat).

Sheesh.....
http://www.madaxeman.com
Holiday in Devon? Try https://www.thecaptainscottagebrixham.com
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

There is a whole more to thinking on chariots in general that I think a rule set could justify a lot of options.

I think there is a case for some of the HCH to be bow rather than shock or both which I know is a no-no in design philosophy.

Chariots were depending on author and time period:
transport platforms for people to get off and fight.
Crashing into people scary ben-hur types with lots of more troops.
Missile platforms.
etc
etc

Also the whole 3 people make you a heavy is a bit deciding you want heavy and backward arguing. There is quite a lot of disagreement of the Hittite 3 crew being a thing. Then there is the whole chariot runner strain.

With all that I think its pretty easy to say the author was ok in whatever decision.
stancolleymore
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by stancolleymore »

When did they change from Mycenaean to Mykenaean? Or is this another of Dave's strange ideas?
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

Dave thing, like Seleukid. :roll:
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

stancolleymore wrote:When did they change from Mycenaean to Mykenaean? Or is this another of Dave's strange ideas?
The latter - it should be Mykenaian :mrgreen:
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk

Return to “Rules Questions”