Battle Troops?

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: hammy, philqw78, terrys, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

TERRYFROMSPOKANE
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Battle Troops?

Post by TERRYFROMSPOKANE »

Page 93 says a base of battle troops providing support shooting during the impact phase receives a -1 POA. Earlier discussion on this site revealed the intent was to apply this POA only to medium foot and not to light foot (despite the definition of battle troops on page 17).

OK, fine so far.

The Impact POA's on page 94 include "Any spearmen....if not charging....unless in a single rank if they are NOT supported by a 2nd rank of Battle Troops". I capitalized the NOT because other postings on this site indicated this word should be added to the text. Now does the phrase "battle troops" include supporting light infantry as per the definition on page 17 -or- are they excluded as per the discussion concerning the -1 POA for Impact Phase shooting?

What about offensive spearmen or defensive spearmen charging unless less than 2 ranks and (in the Melee Phase) "spearmen in at least two ranks"?

In these other cases involving spearmen the language used is "2 ranks of Spearmen". Does this mean light foot in a mixed battle group can not count as a second rank?

Thanks, Terry G.
petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: Battle Troops?

Post by petedalby »

I suspect you'll need Terry Shaw to answer that one Terry - sorry.
Pete
Caliph
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Caliph »

Taking my grey hair, failing eyesight and rapidly advancing age into account, as far as I can see;

Spearmen in a single rank with a second rank of non-spear battle troops, if not charging, get the + on impact.
If they are charging, because they haven't got a second rank of spear, they don't.

Light foot are defined as skirmishers on p13 so are not battle troops. So a single rank of spear with a second rank of supporting light foot therefore do not have a second rank of battle troops so gets no + if not charging.

If it says spearmen in at least two ranks, I assume that means two ranks of spearmen are needed to get the POA or whatever. If it isn't two ranks of spears, for impact or melee, you don't get the spear POA.

I believe the definition on p17 refers to the Functional Category of the battlegroups as a whole ie whether the battlegroup is classed as skirmishers or battle troops. It clearly refers to mixed battlegroups, "with supporting light foot". The defined function of light foot is not as battle troops, just because they are in a mixed battlegroup the defined function of the bases does not change.
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

No problem with the first bit.
I believe the definition on p17 refers to the Functional Category of the battlegroups as a whole ie whether the battlegroup is classed as skirmishers or battle troops. It clearly refers to mixed battlegroups, "with supporting light foot". The defined function of light foot is not as battle troops, just because they are in a mixed battlegroup the defined function of the bases does not change.
And I'd like to agree with this too but it is undone by the Glossary on page 132. I suspect that the intention is that LF should not be able to be the 2nd support rank but as it stands it is unclear. Just as it was with the support shooting. Hence it needs a clarification from Terry.
Pete
terrys
Panzer Corps Team
Panzer Corps Team

Post by terrys »

The March version of the rules errata cover most of these:
http://www.bhgs.org.uk/field-of-glory-a ... ieval.html
Page 93 says a base of battle troops providing support shooting during the impact phase receives a -1 POA. Earlier discussion on this site revealed the intent was to apply this POA only to medium foot and not to light foot (despite the definition of battle troops on page 17).
From the errata:
Page 93: (Clarification) SHOOTING POAs: Light Foot do NOT get an additional -POA for support shooting during
the impact phase. For clarity replace "of Battle Troops" with "other than light foot"

The Impact POA's on page 94 include "Any spearmen....if not charging....unless in a single rank if they are NOT supported by a 2nd rank of Battle Troops". I capitalized the NOT because other postings on this site indicated this word should be added to the text. Now does the phrase "battle troops" include supporting light infantry as per the definition on page 17 -or- are they excluded as per the discussion concerning the -1 POA for Impact Phase shooting?

From the errata:
Page 94 (and QRS): TABLE "IMPACT POAs"
> RH COLUMN - 3rd entry "Unless FRAGMENTED ...." INSERT "not" before "supported"
What about offensive spearmen or defensive spearmen charging unless less than 2 ranks and (in the Melee Phase) "spearmen in at least two ranks"?
Charging spearmen ONLY get a +POA (under the relevnet conditions) if they are 2 ranks of spears - none spear battle troops don't give the spears a +POA unless they are receiving a charge.
In these other cases involving spearmen the language used is "2 ranks of Spearmen". Does this mean light foot in a mixed battle group can not count as a second rank?
Correct.
LordNytram
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by LordNytram »

Really sorry but can I clarify the melee position with spearmen. The rules clearly state for impact that spearmen can get their poa if they have a second rank of battle troops. However for the melee, it just says "Spearmen (at least two ranks)". Does the second rank in melee have to be spearman too or can it be "battle troops"? So in the case of a mixed battle group with defensive spear in front and a bow or xbow unit in the second rank, does the bow / xbow base help the front rank spear get its spear poa in melee?
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

Must be spearmen
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

Agreed - works for impact - not melee
Pete

Return to “Rules Questions”