Charging in front / rear

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Charging in front / rear

Post by dave_r »

Had an incident last night...

I had a battle group of spearmen who got contacted in the rear in the Joint Action Phase. There was only a single base that was contacted so it turned to face. It was my turn next and I won the impact phase 2-1 and the medium foot disrupted and lost a man. The Medium Foot conformed to me at the start of the movement phase and I chose NOT to reform (i.e. pg 68 - turning the entire battle group to face the chargers is not compulsory). This mean I could not confirm as the battle group is unable to pivot or slide to match the BG to my rear.

The melee phase was drawn and I bolstered to steady in the JAP (having gone disrupted in the previous JAP phase).

In my opponents turn he charged with a battle group to the front, which then looked like this:

This did not count as a flank or rear charge (Pg 54 "If the enemy battle gropu is facing in more than one direction, it has more than one front edge for this purpose - the above requirement must be satisfied for all of them"), so counted as a frontal contact, in which case it was 12 dice each. Even though a single base was contacted on the rear, this counted as hitting the front of that column, so it was an even combat (my opponent was heavy weapon and I was defensive spear).

Needless to say my opponent wasn't particulary happy with this and seemed to think this wasn't correct. It didn't help that I won the impact 11-7 and he lost two bases and disrupted. Breaking in the following melee phase, which fragmented the unit behind.

Thoughts?
Evaluator of Supremacy
grahambriggs
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: Charging in front / rear

Post by grahambriggs »

The file with the base fighting to the rear when charged in the front. P92 POAs 6th bullet. "Close Combat POAs that require a minimum number of ranks only apply if ALL those ranks have the required capability and are facing in the same direction." The base facing to the rear isn't facing in the same direction, so this file should have been a POA down.
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

grahambriggs wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:56 pm The file with the base fighting to the rear when charged in the front. P92 POAs 6th bullet. "Close Combat POAs that require a minimum number of ranks only apply if ALL those ranks have the required capability and are facing in the same direction." The base facing to the rear isn't facing in the same direction, so this file should have been a POA down.
Both of those bases were facing in the same direction - albeit in the same direction as the charger. I turned both ranks when charged, this may have been incorrect and should only have turned the single base. This wouldn't have affected impact, but the melee would have been 2dice against 1 at minus rather than two dice each at evens.
Evaluator of Supremacy
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

I suppose I could have turned the other base around in the melee phase as part of the "feeding more bases into an existing melee" process
Evaluator of Supremacy
grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs »

Yes just the base contacted should have turned when hit by the rear charge. the "Feeding more bases in" rule only allows you to expand to create an new file, or to contract to improve the POA of a file. Neither would apply here as turning a base is neither expansion nor contraction. The only way for him to have turned would be to reform the whole BG.
grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs »

Also not sure why you say the melee was 2 dice for your opponent. I count 5 bases in that BG and they are all eligible to fight. Because you haven't reformed you only get 1 dice back.
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

grahambriggs wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:13 pm Also not sure why you say the melee was 2 dice for your opponent. I count 5 bases in that BG and they are all eligible to fight. Because you haven't reformed you only get 1 dice back.
That picture was after they had conformed in my opponents turn - in my turn they were at an angle, so three bases were eligible to fight, they were disrupted, so down to two.

In the picture you can see, four dice were thrown - five, reduced to four because they were disrupted.
Evaluator of Supremacy
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

I was robbed, but was smashing him up everywhere else so didn't care too much. These were just obfuscating tactics to stop me breaking his army
He didn't confirm in his turn, when the rear impact was fought. Saying shift and slide was conforming but he would have to turn, which isn't allowed
Should have been 4 dice v 2 in the first melee, his turn but he only allowed me 3.
Then when contacted in the front a single base should have turned, he kept them both facing in the opposite direction and said since it wasn't a rear charge it counts as frontal so he gets the poa for 2 ranks

He is supposed to be an umpire as well
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

philqw78 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:10 am I was robbed, but was smashing him up everywhere else so didn't care too much. These were just obfuscating tactics to stop me breaking his army
He didn't confirm in his turn, when the rear impact was fought. Saying shift and slide was conforming but he would have to turn, which isn't allowed
Should have been 4 dice v 2 in the first melee, his turn but he only allowed me 3.
Then when contacted in the front a single base should have turned, he kept them both facing in the opposite direction and said since it wasn't a rear charge it counts as frontal so he gets the poa for 2 ranks

He is supposed to be an umpire as well
Whoa. I moved a base over for you, but _YOU_ specifically told me not to as you wanted both of your bases fighting against my spearmen in only one rank.

And it wasn't a rear charge.
Evaluator of Supremacy
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

Irrelevant where you moved a base. We should have fought as if conformed (even though you refused), which meant my disrupted 5 against your 2 that were facing my direction

It was a rear charge which is why you disrupted. Try looking at your own photo again
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

philqw78 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:37 pm Irrelevant where you moved a base. We should have fought as if conformed (even though you refused), which meant my disrupted 5 against your 2 that were facing my direction

It was a rear charge which is why you disrupted. Try looking at your own photo again
That's what we did! your four dice on 4's against my two dice, also on 4's. I should have only had 1 dice though.
Evaluator of Supremacy
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

Not in the first melee
phil
grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs »

Sounds like two fools blundering around in ignorance to me
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

We'll see next weekend Mr soft and squidgy army
phil

Return to “Rules Questions”