Pre-Battle Initiative

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

TERRYFROMSPOKANE
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Pre-Battle Initiative

Post by TERRYFROMSPOKANE » Mon May 25, 2020 4:16 pm

From the text on page 137: "...successful generals have endeavored to bring the enemy to battle in the place of their own choosing whether as invader.....or in defence of their own territory..."

I have a Thracian army all of whose infantry is medium foot. My opponent is Later Macedonian with lots of heavy foot. Their territory types are Agricultural or Developed. I would much rather fight in my own territory where I could choose Hilly or Woodlands to give me a better chance to deploy my infantry to my advantage against heavy foot. However the rules go on to mandate that if I win the initiative I must be the invader and choose a terrain type from my opponent's list. This sure doesn't give my Thracians any opportunity to be "bring the enemy to battle in a place of their own choosing...in defence of their own territory".

Thanks, Terry G.

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Re: Pre-Battle Initiative

Post by philqw78 » Mon May 25, 2020 5:20 pm

Shit innit
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

grahambriggs
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by grahambriggs » Tue May 26, 2020 9:56 pm

Take a TC as CiC and less than 10 mounted bases. You'll then have at least a 50% chance of fighting in your own territory. And you'll be able to afford more MF.

philqw78

Post by philqw78 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:15 am

grahambriggs wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:56 pm
Take a TC as CiC and less than 10 mounted bases. You'll then have at least a 50% chance of fighting in your own territory. And you'll be able to afford more MF.
You'll also have a much greater chance of moving second with your now slow and shootable army, looks great
phil

ChrisTofalos

Post by ChrisTofalos » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:58 pm

However the rules go on to mandate that if I win the initiative I must be the invader and choose a terrain type from my opponent's list.
I don't think I'm the only one who thinks this is wrong. Limiting terrain choices reduces variety, one of the appeals of the period. It also assumes the better general/better scouting army is always the invader, which is patently wrong.

grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:38 pm

Terry, I suggest you read the first part of the terrain rules on page 136. If you are playing outside of a competition, it says you can ignore some of the terrain rules. So why not agree something sensible for terrain with your opponent?

philqw78

Post by philqw78 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:42 pm

Bloody anarchy
phil

Return to “Rules Questions”