Battle of Yamazaki

fitzpatv
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Battle of Yamazaki

Post by fitzpatv »

Another scenario that can be fought for either side. Toyotomi Hideyoshi has a somewhat larger, but lower-quality army than the usurper Akechi and must win by 40 points without losing 22. Initially, he must approach via a corridor between the forests of Mount Tenno on the left and a lake, wood and stream on the right. As it's initially uncertain whether the Akechi are in the forest, this makes for a slow, careful game of manoeuvre at the outset. In fact, the woods are empty but, in view of the qualitative disadvantage, it pays not to expose the van until the rest of the army comes up.

The Akechi faction have a force on the left, near a hill beyond the forest, while the remainder are drawn-up further back behind a fordable river. Fighting develops on the left, where numbers and a flanking move from Mount Tenno should give the Toyotomi forces the edge. Meanwhile, the AI will push troops over the river without much conviction or co-ordination. With careful use of reserves and victorious forces returning from the left, it should be possible to win. Managed 50-7 first time.

Playing as the Akechi, standard rout percentage victory conditions apply. You have the choice of defending behind the river or trying to forge forward and catch the enemy before they can deploy out of the approach corridor. The latter approach risks being flanked from the Mount Tenno forest. Either way, you are relying a lot on the superior average quality of your smaller army.

I opted to stay behind the river. On my first attempt, the AI foolishly sent their van division in unsupported - only for it to crash through my centre, which imploded under a scarcely-believable series of duff morale checks. Quit in disgust, reflecting that luck can have a disproportionate effect in this game.

Tried again and, despite a fairer deal from Fortune, looked like succumbing to sheer numbers. The AI van again pressed recklessly ahead and got what it deserved this time, but their right overwhelmed my left. However, the AI failed to support its left adequately and was outflanked and rolled-up from this side, a bloody affair ending 65-31 in the Akechi faction's favour.

The river, incidentally, is little help in defence and often disadvantages Akechi units behind it !.

Return to “After Action Reports”