Sengoku Jidai - 2021 team event - The Emperor's Throne - Round 3

ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Sengoku Jidai - 2021 team event - The Emperor's Throne - Round 3

Post by ahuyton »

Game Three - The short-lived Shun Dynasty
As Ming authority collapses, warlords gain strength and new dynasties are declared, but the Manchu/Qing are their constant enemies.

Northern Rebels 1597 - 1683 (team Kiwiwarlord) v Qing Bannermen 1636-1700 (team Gdod)
Large armies, wide battlefield, agricultural terrain, open battle

Could Kiwiwarlord's team please launch the games when they are ready, let's please aim to start by 6 April, if possible.

Games

Kiwiwarlord v Gdod
Snugglebunnies v ahuyton
GentlemanRanker v PompeytheFlatulent
SMjohnso77 v Dang
Last edited by ahuyton on Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
pompeytheflatulent
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: Sengoku Jidai - 2021 team event - The Emperor's Throne - Round 3

Post by pompeytheflatulent »

To my fellow former Ming generals:

First the bad news: Li Zicheng's rebel army has entered and sacked the capital of Beijing, the Ming Dynasty is no more! Much propaganda was pushed out on supposedly finding the last Ming Emperor hanging from a tree behind the Forbidden City, but we all know the truth eh? :wink: Having declared himself emperor of a new Shun Dynasty, Li Zicheng was almost immediately supplanted in a bloodless coup by his chief general and evil mastermind Kiwiwarlord, who has now proclaimed himself as the new Shun Emperor of China.

Now the good news: Wu Sangui has struck a deal with Prince Dorgon, de facto ruler of the Qing: all defecting former Ming soldiers and officers will receive an equivalent rank in the newly formed Qing Green Standard Army, plus everyone will get a fancy new hat. We shall march on Beijing at the head of a joint army formed from former Ming soldiers stationed on the northern frontier as well as Qing Bannermen. Meanwhile, the rebel armies, re-christened the Shun army, are no longer the hard-charging, foul-smelling demons you all fear, for they have incorporated many defecting Ming soldiers as well as finally taken a bath. This the perfect time for our revenge!

Yes, yes, I hear all your grumbling already. "Why are the Qing making former Ming troops fight in the first line, while the Bannermen sit safely in the second line?" or "Why do we have to fight with the humiliating 'shin bing' (new soldier) sign pinned to our backs?" Well, the beatings will continue until morale improves! Just be glad that they aren't making us wear that ridiculous queue hairstyle yet. Also, have you checked out the fancy new hats we'll all be receiving? They are quite fancy if I may say so indeed!

Pangpei, general in the Qing Green Standard Army.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Hi Alan, I can't seem to host Northern Rebels vs Qing, though I can host Qing vs Northern Rebels, even with filters off. What I can host is Ming Northern Army vs Qing. Would that be fine?
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
pompeytheflatulent

I think you can host as Qing vs Northern Rebels, then just pick to play as the Northern Rebels.
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Maybe I'm dense but when I set it up as Qing vs Northern Rebels, then switched the player sides, it reverts both armies to potluck. Perhaps Alan, you can make an exception and host our match, at a time of your convenience? ;)
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

pompeytheflatulent

I meant at the last screen of setting up the game, where you set up comments and password and can pick either Pro-Ming or Anti-Ming as you finalize the game. But which choice would give you Northern Rebels? You know what I probably should just create a pair of games for GentlemanRanker, then we could discard the one with the wrong sides.
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:03 pm Maybe I'm dense but when I set it up as Qing vs Northern Rebels, then switched the player sides, it reverts both armies to potluck. Perhaps Alan, you can make an exception and host our match, at a time of your convenience? ;)
I have tried to set it up and hope that it is right! It took me several attempts as I kept forgetting which side I was supposed to be.

I also accepted the challenge you launched, and I am happy to play that through if you like, or scrap it if you prefer.
KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Round 3 result
Kiwiwarlord's Northern Rebels ( 55% ) have a close win over Gavin's (GDod) Qing Bannermen ( 60% )

A close game all the way with both sides having the upper hand at times. The Qing lost 3 Generals (all Duels I think ) during the game, the last falling right at the end.
Thanks Gavin for a tough, friendly game with much in-house banter.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

From the office of GDod, Captain to the Reincarnated Wanyan Yongji - Seventh Emperor of the mighty Jurchen Jin dynasty and now apparently the new deposed emperor of the Qing dynasty who fielded a Manchu army :? .

Dearest commanders of the previous Eight Banners of the Jianzhou, Haixi and Yeren tribes, greetings and sincere apologies for a last minute defeat against the Northern rebels of the Shaanxi province.

Despite our imperial highness's best efforts the underhanded Rebel faction under that despicable KiwiWarlord dealt a savage blow to the imperial cause by dueling and killing all three of our loyal retainers on the field. While the rebels will be unable to field a coherent army for many months due to the extreme losses on the day we also sustained heavy losses.

Nevertheless, I've sent for our imperial physician who has assured me that our loyal retainers can be reconstituted using similar techniques previously trialed on our illustrious emperor.

Moreover, our imperial biographer has provided this annotated recollection of the battle
A Manchu Mishap.jpg
A Manchu Mishap.jpg (541.04 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

SnuggleBunnies (Ming Rebels) defeats ahuyton (Qing) 67-41

A bloody mess, with my entire left wing collapsing into flight. Luckily my victorious left-center rolled up Alan's center while the rest of my left wing was considerate enough to die slowly. GG, match will post in a few days.

ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

Yes, an enjoyable game and I had some hopes for a short while, but Snuggles played with his usual deft persistence and punished my over-reaching I think.

So two games completed and it looks as if the Manchu will be denied the throne at least for now.

What news from the other games? GR, Pompey, Steve, Dang?
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

pompeytheflatulent

ahuyton wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:45 am What news from the other games?
Should be wrapping up soon, a turn or two to go.
pompeytheflatulent

To Prince Dorgon of the Qing Dynasty:

I am pleased to inform you that Qing forces under myself, Pangpei the not-at-all-bad-smelling, have defeated Shun forces under GentlemanRanker. A flank march by the Qing army to avoid a steep hill coincidedly avoided a Shun flanking force, who found themselves facing empty farts, I mean air. Constant artillery bombardment during the final approach march precipitated a premature attack in the center of the line, leading to the loss of several units I really couldn't be bothered to give a shit about, since I am pretty sure they would have taken a tea break during the fight to watch their regimental guns fire at every single opportunity. What's more concerning was that most of the bubing, demoralized after finding their fancy new hats incredibly sweaty and itchy, broken under fire as they approached the enemy lines. Our bloated cavalry units, with their fine steeds and expensive armor, failed to land a decisive blow against inferior Shun cavalry, and spent most of the battle riding in circles playing grab-ass, getting shot up and flanked in the process. It took the raw garrisons rapidly pushing through the woods on the opposite flank, and skirmishers clearing the hill behind the enemy line of artillery, to save the day.

(67-34)
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

So the results of Round 3 are:

Rebel victories

Snuggles
Kiwiwarlord

Qing victories

Pompey

Messenger lost and outcome uncertain

Dang v SMJohnso77

So I declare the Rebels Winners of Round 3 and Kiwiwarlord's men retain the Throne. On to Round 4...
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

pompeytheflatulent wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:10 pm To Prince Dorgon of the Qing Dynasty:

I am pleased to inform you that Qing forces under myself, Pangpei the not-at-all-bad-smelling, have defeated Shun forces under GentlemanRanker...

(67-34)

I glad to see you haven't been Shunned.

Return to “Sengoku Jidai: Tournaments & Leagues”