Bloodclaw units too weak in melee

There is no peace among the stars: the Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by all kinds of threats. Among them is the Orks, a barbaric and warlike xeno race. One of their fiercest leaders, Grukk Face-Rippa, leads his Red Waaagh! in the Sanctus Reach system...
JPLOZ
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Bloodclaw units too weak in melee

Post by JPLOZ » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:28 pm

I really like this game. After playing most of the Stormclaw campaign, I have only one complaint. The bloodclaw units are too weak. They cost 100 points. However, they lose in melee combat against the enemy units with the big swords. Their bolster pistols are not worth much, unlike the bolster rifles carried by bolster units. So considering that they cost 100 points and dreadnoughts 300, I stopped buying them. Units with the power fist or power axe are far more effective in melee combat.

IMO, the bloodclaw units should be able to hold their own against enemy units designed for melee combat.

ImperialGrunt
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Bloodclaw units too weak in melee

Post by ImperialGrunt » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:02 pm

Generally I would agree. For a melee unit, they do not inflict all that much damage against Orks and die pretty fast. And I don't buy them either unless I have no other option points wise.

Dizzy_slith
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Dizzy_slith » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:29 pm

In Space Wolves lore, Blood Claws are like junior Space Marines. They are a step up from scouts in Codex Astartes chapters but a step down from a full space wolf. The Wolves do their own thing as far as structure, recruiting and organization goes. Bottom line is despite their snazzy power armor and cool as heck chainswords, they are pure mince meat when dealing with Orks in hand to hand. Point for point the Orks are more powerful. And dont be distracted by the points value. Because the whole system of points per unit is an abstract system designed to work as a whole. One part isnt meant to be played without the other. Fact is, Orks have been and always will be better in melee than marines which is why it's best to keep them at range and constantly fall back where you can.

Dont be fooled by thinking Space Marines should always win. In melee with Orks, they should always lose.

uberzoned
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by uberzoned » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:36 pm

You really tore into the poor guy.

How about this. I have a Bloodclaw that's bugged and gives me unlimited attacks. Even then... even with unlimited attacks... I've been 6 or 7 attacks in and I'm still just trying to get the shine off Ork armor... I remember that one... got killed with counter attacks as well.

On the other hand, the terminator unit w/ the thunder hammer or whatever... hot damn. I've one shotted Slugga Nobz.

Dizzy_slith

Post by Dizzy_slith » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:46 pm

In about any space wolf army I build I'm always dismayed at how outnumbered I am. And I know my Blood Claws are disadvantaged. But how I use them, they are worth their points! Buying time for my other Marines to fall back and shoot the Orks at range, or other times I pair them up to kill a foe that Ive weakened. They arent useless by any means. Guess you're going to have to learn how to chop down a tree and not use a spoon. This warfare business is tricky. Think outside the box. GL JPLOZ.

zhukodim
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by zhukodim » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:43 am

Dizzy_slith wrote:In about any space wolf army I build I'm always dismayed at how outnumbered I am. And I know my Blood Claws are disadvantaged. But how I use them, they are worth their points! Buying time for my other Marines to fall back and shoot the Orks at range, or other times I pair them up to kill a foe that Ive weakened. They arent useless by any means. Guess you're going to have to learn how to chop down a tree and not use a spoon. This warfare business is tricky. Think outside the box. GL JPLOZ.
Yep, pretty much this. Blood Claws are very cost effective units.

GovRorschach

Post by GovRorschach » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:16 am

Well, they principally must be used to stick to an unit and pin it where it is until someone else come and shoot it :twisted:

Dino_SWE
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Dino_SWE » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:29 pm

Not as weak as they are at ranged.

I find their melee useful, as long as I soften up the targets first. Shaken enemies no issues. And I love that chainsword attack animation and sounds.

Voarag

Post by Voarag » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:19 pm

Put 3 units in a rhino and go hunting.

Unlike tabletop you CAN charge into CC out of a rhino.

Blood for the blood god! :twisted:

Bersercker

Post by Bersercker » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:14 pm

Imo, they are not that bad for 100 points.They can deal with ork boyz, shootas, etc that also cost close to 100 pretty well. Comparing them to dreadoughts, its the dreadnought that is underpriced, not the other way around.

Return to “Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach”