A new story begins... Panzer Corps 2 has been announced!

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Delta66
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: A new story begins... Panzer Corps 2 has been announced!

Post by Delta66 »

Like others, I couldn't care less about 3D or Gfx improvements. Today I still rather play vanilla 2010 Panzer Corps, rather than other 3D games with "stunning gfx". Maybe some miss the points that part of the ease and comfort of play in PzC precisely lied in the slick and clean 2D gfx.

I really want some improvements in AI and gameplay and also historical accuracy (even if it is not a hardcore sim historical quality matters), and there is so much to do in those areas and I'm won't be interested in a simple visual overhaul whatever the gfx quality. So I'm a bit careful about the move to Unreal engine, I fear most of the development time might be invested in surface rather than substance. Modding is also an important issue.
HeinzG
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by HeinzG »

What a coincidence!

Just re-installed my original PzC, came here to freshen up memories and was surprised to read the PzC story continues. Sounds interesting, I'm curious how the plain and simple 2D PzC morphes in to 3D.

If beta testers are needed, I'd be glad to volunteer again!

Cheers!
beb1331
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by beb1331 »

Please. INTEGRATING DIPLOMACY AND TIGHT MANAGEMENT CONCEPTS OF RESOURCES (IRON, FUEL, RUBBER, MONEY FOOD etc.) IE TO PRODUCE A TANK UNIT PanzerIC YOU NEED SOME MATERIAL *** Wars are not only won on the battlefield***. And if possible a mode that allows to play on a surface of random game that one discovers in each battle. Because we begin to know the fighting zones of each campaign in panzer corps :-(
beb1331

Post by beb1331 »

Please. INTEGRATING DIPLOMACY AND TIGHT MANAGEMENT CONCEPTS OF RESOURCES (IRON, FUEL, RUBBER, MONEY FOOD etc.) IE TO PRODUCE A TANK UNIT PanzerIC YOU NEED SOME MATERIAL *** Wars are not only won on the battlefield***. And if possible a mode that allows to play on a surface of random game that one discovers in each battle. Because we begin to know the fighting zones of each campaign in panzer corps :-(
L3nny2050
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by L3nny2050 »

A W E S O M E . . . I'm so excited to see the series continue.
But the most important point - keep the gameplay as before simple(easy to learn)
but to became a master - make it hard!
That formula makes the original so unique.

Looking forward to see some more...
JMLiege
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by JMLiege »

It is great news.

First innovation I expect is better animations with animated troops such as turning turret in direction of the attack and while moving, tanks will let some nice track traces (not stack trace...) on the ground ;)
Planes making loopings, Heavy navy gun (turret still) will turn then firing.... sdkf 222 , when doing some recon, a small soldier open the turret and look around at the end of the move... PS: I have plenty ideas... :)
Really I hope very nice animations with such 3D engine

About the game mechanism, if we could have a more accurate troops fighting values ( i.e. Tiger veteran unit versus T34(10) green should not mean the T34 wins...at least not without heavy loses)
I known that the scale is more strategic but if so why not mixing troops such as having a flight bomber group with a figther squadron as a unique Unit on the map (which should modify the default characteristics of a unit - if no fighter squadron, the flight bomber unit will have a lower air defense, etc.

This can also be done for ground troops. Imagine associating an infantry unit with assault-gun unit which then modify their fighting values (more defense points against tanks, more attack points against infantry but more exposed and slower) ... and so on.
What do you think of it ?

This would be a good evolution of the game and add more possibilities (Kampfgruppen, Tanks army or division unit to generate), and then more flexibility and possibility then just being submerged by an advantaged opponent. (It's always annoying to lose with a tiger II (14) against 2 T-34/85 units (even with 15)... This does not reproduce the real potential of the tiger II.

Still you'll have a buy here.
Regards,
JM
bcnkor5
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by bcnkor5 »

[quote="AlbertoC"]When we released Panzer Corps six years ago, our goal was to revive a genre by going back to its roots. We worked with Flashback Games and The Lordz Games Studio

After over five years of expansions, mods, challenges and tournaments, a brand-new instalment of the franchise is ready to take the strategy gaming segment by storm again. This time, with even bigger ambitions.

is currently in development using Unreal Engine 4, The move to a fully 3D engine is a natural evolution of the game.

---------------------------------------
1-Very Interesting.
2-Departure 2018, a bridge very far ...
3-I imagine it can be Sanctus Reach style?
4-Any picture to give us an idea of how it will be?
----------------------------------------
My megamod
REAL MEGAMOD - PanzerCorps GOLD v1.30 by BCNKOR SPAIN
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 47&t=70418
ptje63
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by ptje63 »

Great news - will certainly try the game, but (like others before me mentioned) do hope the emphasize is on incorporating the various wishes and suggestions that have been made on this forum, because that will make it a succesful game - and yes, not the fancy 3D graphics- dont make the same mistake others made before you. This type of turnbased wargaming has never attracted players that went for overwhelming graphics. But... lets not be too hasty with judgements - see first - cant wait...
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

Hello All!

Thanks for a great response regarding our initial announcement. I've now tried to address some common questions and concerns in this forum post:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 64&t=76490
Sorrow
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Sorrow »

An option for 3D counters would be great. :oops: :shock: :roll: :twisted: :arrow:
cedonxp
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by cedonxp »

Been playing PC for years non-stop. Please tell me that Nico will have a chance to influence this game. I would like to see triggered counterattacks and variable starts and a lot more campaign decisions that influence multiple campaign possibilities. Massive Russian campaign battles AG North, Center, South......possibly unit makeup influences, leader assignments etcetera. Can't Wait!
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

cedonxp wrote:Please tell me that Nico will have a chance to influence this game.
Of course we will listen very carefully to any feedback coming from him.
PanzerCro
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by PanzerCro »

when we can expect some screen shoots ?
cedonxp
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by cedonxp »

Historic units for purchase with higher fighting capabilities? Historic unit names available for selection?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

We're not planning to release screenshots for a while. There are some elements we're happy with but still a lot that need work so don't want to show something that's not representative of final quality as we'll be judged on the first images we release. We also need a clearer idea of the release date before we release any images so need to be further through development.
soetekouwd

Post by soetekouwd »

guille1434 wrote:No need to add eye candy by making it a 3D affair... After all this will not be a console action game... In my opinion, the real improvement is to add functionality and modding options, not flashy graphics... Besides it would be great that the tons of new graphics developed by modders for Panzer Corps could be used for the new game.

Maybe looking at the story of Panzer General and its derivatives could teach us something: The real progress in the franchise was Pacific General, for example (except for its UI, which was a step backwards, it added a lot of interesting combat rules, carrier units support, new traits, etc...) but in general PG2, Panzer General 3D, etc... were not such big hits as the original Panzer General was, notwithstanding the addition of 3D graphics.

Just my opinion.
Panzer Corps was absolutely fantastic. Once I played through all the DLC campaigns I would simply start all over again (like I did when Panzer General when it first came out)! As such, I totally agree with the above statement/quote. I prefer new, innovative and exciting functionality rather than 3D views and flashy graphics. Remember Panzer General 3D with 3D graphics? That game never lived up to its predecessors. It was a complete waste of money; terrible to play. Would love to see Panzer Corps 2.0 grow into a great success, and have me buy it immediately when it comes out. By the way, besides the Panzer General 3D example there a notorious other sequels that did not live up to their predecessors suchs as Master of Orion 3, and more recently Dragon Age 3 (Inquisition) and Mass Effect 3 etc.
eagleowl68

Post by eagleowl68 »

Looks like I'm going to need to start saving up! :lol:
PanzerPip

Post by PanzerPip »

Dear All,

This community having the chance for feedback in a stage of early involvement is great, thanks for that to Slitherine.

1. Some thoughts on lessons learned:

Since Panzer General, I have seen many 3D projects come and go. Not a sinlge of these 3D projects has ever reached the fame of its 2D predecessors in my view. PG 1 already had a nice action gimmick. Do you remember these animations popping up? Brilliant at that stage, nevertheless I turned it off most of the time. PzC is a well deserved success story because it takes PG 1 and pushes it with gameplay and content not (only) by graphics. PzC is one rare example that taking former intelectual property now open source and forming it, is generating legally justified new intelectual property worth something on its own. Also PG 1 did not invent hexgaming and hexgamers did not invent rolling dices. So you perfectly did it once. Do it a second time but the lesson to learn to have success with 3D is written in the history of SSI and legendary Panzer General.

2. Some general thoughts:

- Have a vision.

What shall the endgame look like and more important do? I think the main difference to PzC should be enhanced models, and sound but not the game rules but this is up to you. Important is to know what the vision is.

- Invest a lot in content.

While enhancing graphics and interface, still do the most work regarding the historical respectively the historical hypothetic content whereas I do not only mean units but content important for their use, such as mission, sound, geography and long term gaming fun (career mode, army development, collectibles, rewards). As this might even be the most pain, include ideas of the community and the content already on hand in PzC.

- Have a good map.

One of the secrets of PG 1 in my view was the ingenious map it had. The map looked simple and schematic but nonetheless it was a vivid and accurate visualization of the whole world. An artist knowing a lot about geography and war gaming must have crated it.
One difficulty might be high expectations and vast material on hand. Here and there, some retro look can help avoiding troubles with implementing missing links. E.g. regarding the land scape games like Skyrim and so on show that actually a world can be digitally rebuilt but as this hopefully still remains a turn based strategy game also the 3D landscape can stay as it was: a nice perhaps even arty implemented playground, a schematic but nonetheless vivid visualization of the world.

I wish you good luck gentlemen. You will need it. ;-)

Greets,

Pip
deranzo
Warhammer Designer
Warhammer Designer

Post by deranzo »

Will modding be easy to make new units/animations/sound etc again? It really lengthens game's life
it is a good day to die
deranzo
Warhammer Designer
Warhammer Designer

Post by deranzo »

IainMcNeil wrote:We're not planning to release screenshots for a while. There are some elements we're happy with but still a lot that need work so don't want to show something that's not representative of final quality as we'll be judged on the first images we release. We also need a clearer idea of the release date before we release any images so need to be further through development.
That is right decision. Downgrading graphics, mechanics etc after some screenshots/videos really annoy gamers.
it is a good day to die

Return to “News & Announcements”