How does an IED end up 4 hexes deep in surveilled territory?

Afghanistan '11 changes the paradigm of wargaming and manages to bring Counter-Insurgency and guerrilla warfare to your screen, properly represented thanks to a revolutionary gameplay formula!
Soar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

How does an IED end up 4 hexes deep in surveilled territory?

Post by Soar »

While crossing a bridge that was 4 hexes deep in the detection zone of an observation post that had been on station since the bridge was first constructed, a truck was blown up by an IED. There had been some militia wandering in the general area, but I destroyed them. Do militia not disperse once they've completed an IED mission in this game? Can IEDs just randomly appear without hostile missions being required? The manual says very little regarding IEDs.
ParadogsGamer
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: How does an IED end up 4 hexes deep in surveilled territ

Post by ParadogsGamer »

I think the militia don't need to be adjacent to the hex where the IED is placed. So you wouldn't necessarily have seen it being placed.
Soar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Soar »

EDIT: I initially misread the above post. Yes, if militia don't need to be directly adjacent to the hex they place the IED on, that would explain what happened - I did see a cadre disperse in the general vicinity from completing a mission. However, it would be nice if this sort of thing was explained in the manual.
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Post by Every Single Soldier »

Also, there are two types of IED's, the main one is placed by Militia forces and can be swept by infanrty and the Husky, the other is the boobytrap which is randomly placed around villages with a low HM score , this is probably what you saw, we are going to differentiate them by explosion and sound in the next patch
Soar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Soar »

Ah yes, I ended up learning about booby traps later, but didn't think to connect them to this incident. That's probably what it was. That means I still didn't know booby-traps were a mechanic despite having hit two of them until I read about them on the Steam forums, so the improved feedback is definitely needed.
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Post by Every Single Soldier »

Incoming ... :shock:

Return to “Afghanistan '11”