First Impressions/General Feedback

Afghanistan '11 changes the paradigm of wargaming and manages to bring Counter-Insurgency and guerrilla warfare to your screen, properly represented thanks to a revolutionary gameplay formula!
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

First Impressions/General Feedback

Post by bebro »

So having played three tutorial missions, and after trying mission #5 several times (mostly because it took me a bit to get into the "economy" - I needed a while to figure out how to optimize PP gain so that I didn't end up in the negative :D) I thought it's time for some general feedback about this game.

Good things first:

1. The game is fun to play. When things get really going, and enemy units are showing up attacking your FOB's or trying to down your helis and you need to react quickly to take them out and make PP before they disappear again the game has absolutely a "one more turn" feel. There are less active stages in between where you just disarm IEDs or build stuff, but it is overall a nice mix.

2. You need to be constantly aware that the enemy is not sleeping just because you don't see him right now. Think you can safely take this road because you checked it for IEDs using a Husky a while before? It can't hurt to just send out some supply trucks huh? Bad idea...boom! However, when you combine the specifc abilities (airstrikes, drones for recon, etc.) and the strengths of your various units you can avoid many casualties and take out enemy units to make PP.

3. Winning "hearts and minds" is a great game idea/mechanics. All the various factors influencing the H/M score leave the nice impression that the devs did a good job to depict this conflict, which is not an easy subject for a wargame.

4. The game is visually good without a tendency to pose as "gfx wonder" that tries to impress more with visuals than with gameplay

5. Stability seems overall good for me - I had two crashs, but I know 'bigger' games which did a lot worse after release. Of course I do hope patches deal with remaining issues

I have only two main gripes so far:

1. Micro-managment and UI issues, lack of real save/load feature - these are touched in various threads now so I won't repeat everything, but improvements here would be cool

2. It seems that modding possibilities are zilch. People who just want to play the game might not care about that. Also, I am fully aware that more complicated stuff like gfx modding in a 3d game is not everyone's cup of tea and would also be not easy to implement from the dev side. However, at least some data modding, map editing, scenario making etc. etc. would be nice.
TMP95
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: First Impressions/General Feedback

Post by TMP95 »

Thinking of purchasing. Appreicate this type feedback.

I definitely wish there was a type of editor and ability to mod even a select set of data fields for differing units.
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Re: First Impressions/General Feedback

Post by Every Single Soldier »

This engine is brand new and custom built, the plan is to 'lift the hood' in the future but first need to get it tuned properly and optimized

Return to “Afghanistan '11”