First V3 Game

Moderators: terrys, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

First V3 Game

Post by philqw78 »

Just a quick note on my initial thoughts on my first V3 game played against Bob Amy, Sassanid v Dom Rom

No massive changes. No great shakes anywhere, just slightly bigger tweaks than V2 made

Set up.
I thought there were going to be changes that reduced the amount of terrain in the centre of the table. No, in fact the opposite, things on the baseline can be more easily moved towards the centre. There was more terrain and with a manoeuver army it seems like you will have little chance of getting an open table. You have to take terrain from enemy list and he can take 5 optional pieces.
Who moves first is VERY random. If you have an IC and enemy a TC it's still only plus 1 to the move first dice

Impact
Seat of your pants. More death bigger dice swings. No re-rolls and more dice.
The first impact involved Cats and Nellies v supported legions, all superior. My elephants hit the left of a 9 (6+3) of legions with one base, the cats hit the other two bases. Result was:
Elephant 2 Hits v 0 from the legion
Cats 2 hits v 4 from the legion. (Good job impact shooting now has a minus poa IMO)
Re-rolls may have made a difference as there were some ones
Cats lose a base and disrupt. No generals committed to combat as there is a far greater chance of losing them now
We also had an impact of cats into Average undrilled protected IF. They were 3 deep so counted superior. Again squeaky buns as the cats get no re-rolls and will then be badly outnumbered if something goes wrong, it didn't thankfully
Movement.
Little change, especially as Bob forgot to move his HF 4 MU when outside 5/3, and I forgot I could move to 5/3. Neither of us had pikes

Shooting
No change

Melee
This appeared slower since we had a fair amount of superior v superior combat. Not as many hits were done and losing tests were therefore easier to pass until you lost a base or two. But the chance of losing a base was mitigated by less hits being done and chance of failing a test mitigated by not fighting with generals, therefore they didn't die. Random dice swings made more of a difference IMO
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
grahambriggs
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: First V3 Game

Post by grahambriggs »

Re the moving first it's deliberately pretty random. We wanted to get away from the V2 ethos of "I'm moving first so I know exactly where my army will be at the end of turn 1" because it isn't how armies did it.
notrum
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by notrum »

Wait and see, most test games Terry and I played finished in 3hrs.
Also wait till you try the new army list with those armies

Steve
davidandlynda
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by davidandlynda »

It looked like the the legion were very lucky with their impact rolls,they only get 2 per base against elephants
David
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

The elephants beat the odds to do 2 back at the same time
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!

Return to “Field of Glory 3.0 Beta”