Why are we ruining my favourite set of rules

Moderators: terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

madaxeman
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: Why are we ruining my favourite set of rules

Post by madaxeman »

I think that's the thing really - the FoGR rules haven't magically stopped working all of a sudden, and I don't think anyone has stopped liking them either.

Competitions are however a certain very specific type of gaming experience, where speaking for myself a lot of the appeal is trying out something "new", seeing how it works and (hopefully) having people comment favourably on the painting too (!). I've now done that with my TYW, ECW, Scots, Swedes, Polish, Ottomans, Italian Wars, Spanish, Hindus, Pirates, Louis XIV French, XIV Century Austrians and I suspect a few more morphs of all of the above and I now kinda want to try something else for the majority of the time. But I will still try and do as many 1-day events as I can for FoGR too, its just that 1-dayers is where my priority now lies for "new" stuff..
http://www.madaxeman.com
Holiday in Devon? Try https://www.thecaptainscottagebrixham.com
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Why are we ruining my favourite set of rules

Post by hazelbark »

Vespasian28 wrote: Interestingly, five out of the nine games at our club this Saturday were either FOGAM or FOGR so at least at our club they remain popular in their current form.
I think this is a serious challenge for the hobby. If a club is happy with what it is doing then who cares about the wide world. The wide world really only notes what is publicized so that means events competitions that are larger than that a "club". So which, should drive what? The answer as usual depends on where you sit. (ie what you play, when and such). I think it generally behooves clubs to brag about what they are playing and results on broader forums. Without that noise the events dominate perception. With noise people see, "here is fun". So they think "I want to join in, even at my own club or event".

Return to “FOGR Update”