Length of games

Moderators: terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

jonphilp
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Length of games

Post by jonphilp »

Hi,

Out of interest how are people finding the full amended rules with regard to the time it is taking to get a result in a game in both competition and club games. I must admit the increase in the number of horse units and the increased staying power of average units has increased the time my games are taking, especially for the early period. My worry is that my potential club opponents are looking at faster rule sets that can come to a non-forced conclusion in under 3 hours.

We do need the final version (for better or worse) as soon as possible as people are drifting away from FOGR and especially if they are starting to rebase units they will not return. One of my regular opponents has already done this so I am building a non-FOGR army so we can continue our games. One of the reasons he mentioned was he likes the TYW period and the rule set he is now using properly portrays the use of Commanded Shot and Dragoons something he feels FOGR is losing.

Regards
viking123
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Re: Length of games

Post by viking123 »

It does take longer to break average BG's by base lose but they go just as fast by poor cohesion tests. As Dragoons are now moving slower with 6MU of an enemy BG they get catch more often and die. Last weekend using 900 point armies we got 4 total breaks and a number where it was clear who the winner was in 3 hours 15 minutes. As always it is in part down to how fast players play. If you take a long time over a turn then you will never get a result no matter how many points you are using.
You say one of club members is dropping FOG R is that "he likes the TYW period and the rule set he is now using properly portrays the use of Commanded Shot and Dragoons something he feels FOGR is losing". Yet the changes to Commanded Shot and Dragoons being made is because there was a body of views that currently they are no reflected correctly under FOG R. What does he think they should be like?
The whole point of the discussion on the forum was for players to express their opinions and argue for changes they think are necessary and defend issues they think should not be changed.
Bob
jonphilp

Re: Length of games

Post by jonphilp »

Hi,

If you go back and look at the threads on commanded shot & dragoons you will see the different view points. Personally I do not like the changes to the dragoons , if we put a late ECW game at the club house rules will have to be in place. As for commanded shot , club members who are far more knowledgable in their use in the TYW do not like the new rules especially those who use early Swedish armies. However let's see how things settle when the amendments finally surface. My worry is the changes will change the way the games play out. I really like FOGR for the early period. You can see the way the changes for this period are being viewed in the way Wessex is not using the majority of the changes for the Italian Wars competition.

Return to “FOGR Update”