Basic tactics apply?

Empires Apart is an old-school Real Time Strategy game set in medieval times. Play as one of six uniquely designed factions. Gather resources, raise an army and lead your civilization to victory in a multiplayer focused classic RTS, brought to the modern age.
Post Reply
ljonata
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:10 pm

Basic tactics apply?

Post by ljonata » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:24 am

Hi,

(1) I would like to know if basic tactics such as "use knights against hand-arm units", or "skirmishers against knights" apply, like in the AoE.

(2) I think it would in interesting to implement the relevance of being in a higher position, like on the top of a hill to increase the range of archers, for example.

(3) Please implement the Game Limit mode. In this type, let's say 2hours, the player with more points wins, like in the AoE.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 13507
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:19 am

Re: Basic tactics apply?

Post by IainMcNeil » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:25 am

Yes all units have strengths and weaknesses.

Empires Apart is designed to be faster to resolve in multiplayer than AoE. Most games wont go past 20-30 minutes. Many of the top players games resolved in 10-15 minutes. It depends if you want to fight to the death though - the best players tend to reign once they can see the result.

We can look at adding time limits & scoring if players think there is a need for it.

ljonata
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:10 pm

Re: Basic tactics apply?

Post by ljonata » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:39 am

IainMcNeil wrote:Yes all units have strengths and weaknesses.

Empires Apart is designed to be faster to resolve in multiplayer than AoE. Most games wont go past 20-30 minutes. Many of the top players games resolved in 10-15 minutes. It depends if you want to fight to the death though - the best players tend to reign once they can see the result.

We can look at adding time limits & scoring if players think there is a need for it.
Thank you for the reply. Some old AoE clans had SKIRMISH games, for example, so it made a lot of difference to finish the 2nd or 3rd in a game. If you limit the result of the game to win or lose a game in 10 minutes, I prefer to play chess. It should be possible to lose but still enjoy my result.

PanCalvus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:47 am

Re: Basic tactics apply?

Post by PanCalvus » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:03 pm

ljonata wrote:Hi,

(1) I would like to know if basic tactics such as "use knights against hand-arm units", or "skirmishers against knights" apply, like in the AoE.
Those are probably not the matchups I'd have used as examples, (aoe 2 skirmishers are anti-archer units and generally get shredded by heavy cavalry) but for the rest what McNeil said.

ljonata
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:10 pm

Re: Basic tactics apply?

Post by ljonata » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:02 pm

Maybe this is a reflex of the younger generations, who can't read more than a twitter or bear more than 30 minutes in the same match.

PanCalvus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:47 am

Re: Basic tactics apply?

Post by PanCalvus » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:59 am

ljonata wrote:Maybe this is a reflex of the younger generations, who can't read more than a twitter or bear more than 30 minutes in the same match.
Or maybe it's casual oldtimers like myself who know the base building game and who like the base building game but who don't want to play it for an hour every time before the most interesting part of the match starts. (1 hour treaty games are a pretty common option for lower ranking layers on aoe2.) It feels pretty good, to be able to have a full match, make interesting strategical choices, pull of a heroic victory and look at the timer to see the game has ran for 25 minutes. It will also encourage people to resign less easily. Another hour of slogfest which you're probably going to lose anyway is not worth it, but seeing where this goes for another 10 minutes is fine. And I feel it will also bridge the gap between good and less good players a little, the fight happens on a bit more of an equal footing because the way there is more streamlined, yet just or at least nearly as full of choices.

And of course there are plenty of moments at which I would still prefer the longer form game. The aoe2 historic campaigns alone are a very nice feature that ea is not going to be approaching any time soon. I'm just saying faster, a bit more streamlined gameplay is pretty cool, and worth trying ones.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 13507
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:19 am

Re: Basic tactics apply?

Post by IainMcNeil » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:27 am

Currently the ranked games are 1v1. However the game really shines in team games of 2v2 up to 4v4. The factions have been designed to play very differently and compliment each other. Where one is weak another is strong and together they make a powerful combination. We expect some really interest team play mechanics once the game is out in a live environment.

Any game where you have more than 2 sides, no matter how many players becomes a bit of a lottery. It's far more about who decides to attack who than about the skill of the teams. You'll see where you came after the match finishes but there is no current plan to have any rankings in more than 1 team v 1 team.

ljonata
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:10 pm

Re: Basic tactics apply?

Post by ljonata » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:40 am

IainMcNeil wrote:Currently the ranked games are 1v1. However the game really shines in team games of 2v2 up to 4v4. The factions have been designed to play very differently and compliment each other. Where one is weak another is strong and together they make a powerful combination. We expect some really interest team play mechanics once the game is out in a live environment.

Any game where you have more than 2 sides, no matter how many players becomes a bit of a lottery. It's far more about who decides to attack who than about the skill of the teams. You'll see where you came after the match finishes but there is no current plan to have any rankings in more than 1 team v 1 team.
I understand your arguments... but why not give the choice to the user? In real-world environments, it's everybody against everybody! Russia didn't tell Turkey "hey you, wait I destroy Hitler's Germany before we can fight", agree?

I understand quick plays are necessary and wished sometimes... so does long and anarchy games! So why not give this option to the old school players?

ljonata
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:10 pm

Re: Basic tactics apply?

Post by ljonata » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:44 am

Since the developers are very kind for giving us voice during the development (and here my great 'Thank you' for that), maybe adding this option would be an opportunity to satisfy and enhance the game. Moreover, it would make it more interesting for that audience (more audience = more buyers = more money).

And let's agree that adding this option is not complex. Doesn't change mechanics, graphics, communication protocols.... nothing! Just add timing and counting points (ok, this last part might be a bit more complex if it doesn't exist not).

PS.: I don't mind if the kind of game mode that I am talking about is not ranked.

PanCalvus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:47 am

Re: Basic tactics apply?

Post by PanCalvus » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:14 pm

ljonata wrote:
IainMcNeil wrote:I understand quick plays are necessary and wished sometimes... so does long and anarchy games! So why not give this option to the old school players?
The option is already there. You can play 8 players 8 teams. You just need to keep score yourself if you want to use it for some sort of ranking. And let's be honest, free for all matches aren't very suited for doing rankings. They're more fun to just play...

ljonata
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:10 pm

Re: Basic tactics apply?

Post by ljonata » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:34 pm

PanCalvus wrote:
The option is already there. You can play 8 players 8 teams. You just need to keep score yourself if you want to use it for some sort of ranking. And let's be honest, free for all matches aren't very suited for doing rankings. They're more fun to just play...
I didn't see the option "time limit". And the victory for points, I mean like collecting resources and technology (10% in the AoE), kill units (20% in AoE).

PanCalvus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:47 am

Re: Basic tactics apply?

Post by PanCalvus » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:19 pm

ljonata wrote:
PanCalvus wrote:
The option is already there. You can play 8 players 8 teams. You just need to keep score yourself if you want to use it for some sort of ranking. And let's be honest, free for all matches aren't very suited for doing rankings. They're more fun to just play...
I didn't see the option "time limit". And the victory for points, I mean like collecting resources and technology (10% in the AoE), kill units (20% in AoE).
Oh, my apologies, I thought you were talking about free for all there, multiple opponents without teams. That option is available. I thought this because you said you were looking specifically for long games. If that's what you want I don't think you'll have a real need or a time limit on EA. But no, I haven't seen a time limit option.

Winning on points always seemed like more of a way to shorten unplayably long games to me, a fix for a downside of the game's design. If that has your preference than maybe you're right and EA is not the perfect game for you for the moments you want to play like that.

Post Reply

Return to “Empires Apart”