New visual and usability observations

Empires Apart is an old-school Real Time Strategy game set in medieval times. Play as one of six uniquely designed factions. Gather resources, raise an army and lead your civilization to victory in a multiplayer focused classic RTS, brought to the modern age.
germancito
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

New visual and usability observations

Post by germancito » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:47 pm

There is a grass field that does not allow the grid to appear on top of it. It is below, but above the sandy ground.

The houses of the Byzantines I think they have a visual problem, I think they are very big. I would try to reduce them a little, to be like the houses of the French, but they would still be 2x2 squares.

The Arab architecture is very good, maybe I would make the warehouse different from the houses a bit more.

The bushes of berries I have seen that they seem decoration of the surroundings, that is to say, they do not seem a resource, it is not obvious. It would be good to increase the number of berries or fruits in each bush, highlight them perhaps, so that they look better, and communicate well that it is a resource. This also in necessary with the cactus. The fruit of the cactus is a type of fig. In the deserts it would be nice to put palms of dates close to the oasis.

The moose are as big as horses, making them finer and a little smaller would help in general with the size proportions of the game.

The death units that fall to the ground generate a lot of visual noise, I think the dead bodies should be covered by the earth at 30%, and be a little less colorful. This would generate a better sense of contrast between the ground and the units that are still standing fighting.

Some icons of evolution of technology, are not very figurative, for example the bellows does not have the icon of a fuel, but an icon of a spear with the sign of sum, because it is the weapons that are improved by this technology. I think this makes him lose the medieval and historical sensation, and he makes it too pragmatic. That icon of the spear only communicates "improves with this your melee weapons".

The stone resource could be different visually, instead of being something by soil, you could opt for a more natural aspect although with the particular polygonal aesthetic that you handle. The classic quarries are tall and light in color, they could be large, but not higher than the plateaus in some maps. Perhaps by doing so, would be more durable deposits and in smaller numbers to those of gold.

The names in Spanish or in the effective language of each country, of the units and buildings, should not be in italics, should be more immediate at the time of reading. Although the miniature is actually the one that should guide the player, and the miniatures do not achieve that, so it should be changed to a symbol.

The Arab mill has a golden circumference, I suppose it is some buff that improves the farms, if so it would look better square, and without transparency on the entire surface, only the line of the perimeter that shines. That makes the city more visually clean.

It could include aggressive wild animals, which attack without provocation, bear, crocodiles, wolves, perhaps near relics or narrow passages.

The mouse should change, when it lands on a memory having selected a villager, even when it is placed on a foundation of construction. A mouse with hammer, pick or saw would be a feedback for the player that would be appreciated.

When it comes to building a tower, it would be very useful if there was a slightly illuminated line that would indicate the range of fire of that tower, even when it is chosen.

There is an Aztec building that looks like it literally has a fan on its roof.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New visual and usability observations

Post by IainMcNeil » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:14 am

Thanks for the feedback - we'll pass it on to the team.

Return to “Empires Apart”