Suggestions, wishlist and ideas for Panzer Corps 2 gameplay

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Re: Suggestions, wishlist and ideas for Panzer Corps 2 gameplay

Post by Rudankort »

dalfrede wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:01 pm I think there should be an 'advance recon' feature for forts.

Forts are not built in a day and don't move.
Like airfields the player and AI should known where that are at the start of the scenario. Not stats but a symbol of some sort that shows that there is a bunch of concrete there.
Of course, building a fort or bunker takes time, but are you saying that in WW2 100% of forts were known to the enemy in advance, and they never ran into nasty surprises?
dalfrede
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by dalfrede »

Rudankort wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:09 pm
Of course, building a fort or bunker takes time, but are you saying that in WW2 100% of forts were known to the enemy in advance, and they never ran into nasty surprises?
'Fortification' and 'Airfield' are terrain and are all pre-spotted at the start of a scenario, forts are units and not pre-spotted.

Perhaps options to make such man made terrain either pre-spotted or not.
Would this be a more realistic solution?
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

dalfrede wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:31 pm 'Fortification' and 'Airfield' are terrain and are all pre-spotted at the start of a scenario, forts are units and not pre-spotted.
This is how it worked in Panzer Corps and what players are used to, so no objections from my side. :)
dalfrede wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:31 pm Perhaps options to make such man made terrain either pre-spotted or not.
Would this be a more realistic solution?
This sounds like a good option for scenario designer (more generally - make any unit pre-spotted), but probably not a good game option which players will see in game's UI.
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

Rudankort wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:23 pm This sounds like a good option for scenario designer (more generally - make any unit pre-spotted), but probably not a good game option which players will see in game's UI.
Exactly, a scenario designer option, for D Day the Allies would know most Axis positions, but in British India Axis might not known Allied air fields.

Turning off Fog of War is the players option.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
sn0wball
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by sn0wball »

Alternatively, or additionally, you could offer useful maps during the briefing, maps which correspond to the game map and could include drawings and symbols to represent the state of surveillance. A group of at least 4 tank units here, a fortification at the bend of the river, partisan acivity from here to there. Ideally, this process could be automated. The scenario designer can assign the degree of certainty to the map, to areas or units and a script could translate the hex map into a drawing with symbols.
zonks
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by zonks »

I really like the idea of the procedurally generated campaigns, I've been waiting for another game like Steel Panthers for an age, and while this isn't on the same scale, it would still provide hours and hours of fun.
I'd like to see the same type of mechanic in the campaign setup, choose a nation, number of battles, carrying over your core army and getting to choose what theater you wanted to fight in based on the date, West, East, North Africa, it isn't too far from that now.
Though what I would really like is Steel panthers with these graphics, it would be a dream come true :D
Ravihon
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Suggestions, wishlist and ideas for Panzer Corps 2 gamep

Post by Ravihon »

13obo wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:22 am It's PG2 that introduced artillery fire to everyone in its range- in PG they fired only at units next to the artillery like in PzC. Thought I'd clarify in case someone from the development actually reads this and may get confused.

+1 for Pg2 style artillery though. I really like how some artilleries provide counter-fire at units, some (usually heavier artillery with longer range) provide counter-battery fire at enemy artilleries, and some don't provide counter-fire at all. Traits like these force the player to have a diverse core and not just stick play purchase 1/20th of the best available units.

Regarding your 2nd point, again in Pg2, fighters had "leader" trait that gave them opportunity to intercept twice (instead of once) per turn. Again, brilliant idea to have unit-type specific leader traits such as +1 range for artillery, +defence for infantry, etc, etc.
I really like above suggestion, different counter fire types making a variety in Artillery viable....good one.
"Da wo ich bin, ist vorne..."
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Re: Suggestions, wishlist and ideas for Panzer Corps 2 gamep

Post by Rudankort »

Ravihon wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:40 am I really like above suggestion, different counter fire types making a variety in Artillery viable....good one.
Yes, different types of artillery is a good idea, but I'm not a big fan of PG2 system, where every siege turns into a mess of multiple artillery units firing all the time.
RandomAttack
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by RandomAttack »

I think you already said that there would be no ranged direct fire. But that was a key feature of PG2 IMO. Somewhat overpowered at times, sure, but also led to some very interesting tactical problems. Tigers shooting across major rivers; Russian T-34s (and American Shermans) rushing in close in with "overwhelming" numbers-- their only hope of effective engagement. I guess it boils down to scale, and PzC2 seems to be closer to PzC1 than PG2. If that is true, then I get it. If it's NOT true though, please reconsider.
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

RandomAttack wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:02 pm I think you already said that there would be no ranged direct fire. But that was a key feature of PG2 IMO. Somewhat overpowered at times, sure, but also led to some very interesting tactical problems. Tigers shooting across major rivers; Russian T-34s (and American Shermans) rushing in close in with "overwhelming" numbers-- their only hope of effective engagement. I guess it boils down to scale, and PzC2 seems to be closer to PzC1 than PG2. If that is true, then I get it. If it's NOT true though, please reconsider.
The scale in Panzer Corps 2 will be loose, just like in PzC, but will gravitate more towards large-scale operations. So yes, this is definitely one of the reasons.

But I'm not a big fan of how this feature was implemented in PG2 either. Basically, it allowed long ranged units to circumvent a lot of fundamental game mechanics. For example, tanks could ignore initiative caps and close terrain, and just shoot at infantry in a city from safe distance. In my opinion, you either build game rules and tactics around ranged combat (like we did in Armageddon) and then most units have this ability, or you build your game around zero-range combat, like PG did, and implement range advantages using things like initiative. When only a few units are exception from general rule, they just become OP.

Having said that, I'm thinking about range modifier coefficients which could be applied in small-scale scenarios to increase ranges of all units across the board. For example, this could be useful in urban scenarios. As long as such option is used rarely and carefully, it might create some tactical variety in this kind of a game. Not to mention the mods.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Not sure if this has been mentioned already:

I really liked those transport categories that were introduced during the evolution of PzC.

With the diff. transport types available (with different methods of movement, having pros/cons on certain terrain) it added a higher level of realism, and a bit more complexity, as you has to decide what unit to use, with what TP for certain effect.

I could go for light/medium arty/cheap trucks, or light/medium AT towed by relatively fast, and armored halftracks, but needed extra/slower/more vulnerable TPs suited for towing heavy stuff. Really liked that.

(the whole concept could be even expanded to air or naval TP, if that is not considered "overdone")
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Retributarr »

Shall we not try to follow the "KISS-Principle"?,..."Keep-It-Simple-Stupid!!!".

Meaning```...Try to make the Game as realistic as is feasibly possible, without Unnecessarily Over-complicating it with Tedious Mechanics Involved in the Game-Play!.!
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Well, this got into PzC later, and I found it neither over-complicated nor tedious - it just added a layer of decision making, but not vastly more micromanagemt or so.

Without it you would buy transport for units, and with it, you do so as well, but with a bit more thinking involved.
AnalogGamer

Post by AnalogGamer »

Just came up with an idea that may have already been beaten to death. Thought I would throw it on the floor and see if the cat licks it up.

Multi-turn purchases/replacements for "big-ticket" auxiliary items.

Example 1 - Big battle, big map. I want an airbase where there is none. I place a pioneer/engineer unit on my preferred hex. Purchase airbase. Pioneer can take no action for set number of turns(say 3). Taa-daa. Your "engineers" have actually done their job and carved an airstrip. Or better yet, a specialized engineer unit BECOMES an airbase with an additional construction cost. They build it and take care of it and the planes that stop there.

Example 2 - Your Battleship is hurting. Into port with holes showing and smoke flowing. 1-2 points per turn replacements at high cost.

Example 3 - Engineers constructing railway stations anywhere along a rail line over 2-3 turns.

These would all be a trade-off of one's prestige pool for auxiliary units that will not be brought forward. But that could provide a positive cost-to-benefit ratio for a battle, that leads to a decisive, that leads to other good things down the road. An investment if you will.

What say ye?
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

bebro wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:59 pm Not sure if this has been mentioned already:

I really liked those transport categories that were introduced during the evolution of PzC.
Basically, in Panzer Corps 2 there are units and there are transports (both organic and non-organic), and you can configure any unit to use any subset of transports. There is no limit, like the number of transport categories in Panzer Corps. I think, this approach covers everything Panzer Corps was capable of, and more, but correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW I agree that this does not add any significant complexity, because this complexity is handled by the game for you. You always see transports available to a given unit. But, I'm also a huge fan of KISS principle. :)
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

AnalogGamer wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:15 pm Just came up with an idea that may have already been beaten to death. Thought I would throw it on the floor and see if the cat licks it up.

Multi-turn purchases/replacements for "big-ticket" auxiliary items.

Example 1 - Big battle, big map. I want an airbase where there is none. I place a pioneer/engineer unit on my preferred hex. Purchase airbase. Pioneer can take no action for set number of turns(say 3). Taa-daa. Your "engineers" have actually done their job and carved an airstrip. Or better yet, a specialized engineer unit BECOMES an airbase with an additional construction cost. They build it and take care of it and the planes that stop there.

Example 2 - Your Battleship is hurting. Into port with holes showing and smoke flowing. 1-2 points per turn replacements at high cost.

Example 3 - Engineers constructing railway stations anywhere along a rail line over 2-3 turns.

These would all be a trade-off of one's prestige pool for auxiliary units that will not be brought forward. But that could provide a positive cost-to-benefit ratio for a battle, that leads to a decisive, that leads to other good things down the road. An investment if you will.

What say ye?
I'll repeat my reply here, because the dev diary thread will eventually get lost. Yes, multiple-turn construction tasks are on our "wish list". As far as I remember, slow repair of ships was already a feature in PzC.
Ravihon
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Ravihon »

Not sure if this has been suggested already but after reading the General announcement post, where one post and Rudankorts reply dealt with unit upgrades during a campaing. If the series as a more German feature will be discontinued, I think a cost system based on historical availability could be in place. Historical availability would be a sliding scale based on number of units produced and when. Example having later in the campaing for the Germans a PzIVH or an Hetzer, should be rather cheap, but wanting a Ferdinand should be pretty expensive in 1944. Eventually some upgrade could come free as it shows the new standard for the Army, let say new Infantry men. If this could be made phased, lets say you can do 5 at once, and next month more... Getting prototypes would be based on historical availability and your previous achievements, as obviously only the best get to try new stuff. This could be done throughout all Armies, and thus can also Show some Country specifics, lets say UDSSR gets cheaper arty and or tanks at a later point in game, or US Aircraft could be cheaper...

Hope this makes sense.
"Da wo ich bin, ist vorne..."
bigweb52

Post by bigweb52 »

Has there been any news on if this is going to come to iPad ? I don't have a PC but I play panzer corps religiously on my iPad. I'm still bummed Order of battler never made its way to iPad so I'm worried this won't . I've looked high and low for any iPad info but come up empty . So please give me some if any info on if this game is in development for iPad or it will be after the full PC version. Is released ?
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

bigweb52 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:01 pm Has there been any news on if this is going to come to iPad ? I don't have a PC but I play panzer corps religiously on my iPad. I'm still bummed Order of battler never made its way to iPad so I'm worried this won't . I've looked high and low for any iPad info but come up empty . So please give me some if any info on if this game is in development for iPad or it will be after the full PC version. Is released ?
This decision has not been made yet, and so there were no announcements. Right now we are fully focused on the PC version, and the decision about other platforms will be made after release. Unreal Engine and the game itself are written in a cross-platform way, so potentially it can be ported to many different platforms, including Mac and Linux, tablets and consoles. But we need to make some tests, determine if it is feasible from performance point of view (GPU, memory etc.) and how much work will be required.
ElDude
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ElDude »

I have not seen any screen shots of this game until today. I just viewed the 3rd diary for the game. Has anyone commented on the fact that it's ugly? The bulging units marring up the map makes the mess look like a children's game. A key element of these games is the terrain. but terrain takes a back seat to the huge bulging units set upon it. not on the map, not in the terrain, but sitting on it like a toy on a child's play mat. Very disappointing.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”