Panzer Corps 2 vs Panzer Corps 1

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

JagdpanzerIV
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Panzer Corps 2 vs Panzer Corps 1

Post by JagdpanzerIV »

Besides the interface, is there any meaningful differences?

I'm asking because, i'm wondering if i will simply play more or less the same game with a different interface.
i got over 1000 hours into PzC I.

Thanks.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Re: Panzer Corps 2 vs Panzer Corps 1

Post by Kerensky »

It wouldn't be a sequel if it wasn't similar to the original game.

That said, there are many mechanical improvements and changes to the gameplay that add a lot of variety to gameplay. Especially encirclement and surrender mechanics.
These short clips do a good job highlight a few of the interesting new mechanics that elevate Panzer Corps 2 above the original, while still being true to the core concepts of the original.

viewtopic.php?f=464&t=97198
Wushuki
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Wushuki »

I would say it's much better. A few of the changes:

- Combat has been reworked, there is now a separate to hit mechanic. This makes much more sense and has a huge difference on experience and armor calculations in particular. A green tiger tank will just miss a lot, whereas an elite M3 Stuart still wont be able to penetrate heavy armor.

- Most unit classes have been rebalanced. Examples are: AT now provides defensive fire support, recon adds a bonus to neighbouring units, infantry has 15 strength.

- Encirclement is now in the game. You can now attempt to surround enemy units.

- The slots system has been reworked so that not all units require 1 slot. Weaker units require less. This allows you to balance out a few powerful units or more weaker ones.

These changes make for a significantly more enjoyable game in my experience.
JagdpanzerIV

Post by JagdpanzerIV »

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm a bit worried because back in time, i loved panzer general 1 and 2 but hated panzer general 3.
adiekmann
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by adiekmann »

JagdpanzerIV wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:05 am Thanks for the feedback.

I'm a bit worried because back in time, i loved panzer general 1 and 2 but hated panzer general 3.
Most people did. Panzer Corps (1) and Panzer Corps (2) are both good games and worthy successors of the first two Panzer General games. PC1 is more like PG1, but better in many ways and incorporates many aspects (like heroes) that were only introduced in PG2. PC2 continues that progression and I strongly believe will continue to get better, like PC1 did, with time, updates, and additional DLCs.

Keep playing PC1 until you've had your fill, and then move on to PC2 afterwards if you're hungering for more.
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Retributarr »

On top of what has been mentioned... the 'Developers' are making earnest effort's to take out some of the 'Repetitive-Dreary-Drudgery' out of this WWII Epic by giving us some sideline shows like... "The Civil War In Spain"..."Czechoslovakia"... "The Saar-Offensive" and such-like to make the Game seem more new and refreshing instead of re-doing or following the same old-rote or play-book that usually accompanies a featured War-Game like this.

PzC2 will enhance your experience and understanding of the European War in ways that you are not likely to get anywhere else!.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Panzer Corps definitely feels more like Panzer General.
Panzer Corps 2 feels more like Panzer General 2.

Personally, I am totally on board with this.

Years ago when I was actively playing PG and PG2, I would always revisit PG for the nostalgia hit... which would near instantly wear off once you actually play it. And then I put that game right back down.
PG2 is the game I would revisit, and then actually play and replay extensively. PG2 also had a lot of extra content, which Panzer Corps 2 is just starting to roll out.

That said, some PG2 campaigns were very underwhelming. I think the Soviet campaign was like 6 scenarios? Imagine if Panzer Corps 2 shipped with Allied campaigns of that length. I think people would be more mad than not having them at all, which they already are displeased with. :P
Retributarr

Post by Retributarr »

Kerensky wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:08 pm Panzer Corps definitely feels more like Panzer General.

Years ago when I was actively playing PG and PG2, I would always revisit PG for the nostalgia hit... which would near instantly wear off once you actually play it. And then I put that game right back down.
PG2 is the game I would revisit, and then actually play and replay extensively. PG2 also had a lot of extra content, which Panzer Corps 2 is just starting to roll out.

That said, some PG2 campaigns were very underwhelming. I think the Soviet campaign was like 6 scenarios? Imagine if Panzer Corps 2 shipped with Allied campaigns of that length. I think people would be more mad than not having them at all, which they already are displeased with. :P
"KERENSKY!!!"...while you're here discussing "PG2"... you are "The-One" that just might be in the know as to where one could 'Download' revisit and play that old-Game!. I still have the 'Original-Disks'... but... alas... cannot get those old programs to work with the updated 'Windows-Version'.

Any assistance or guidance would surely be welcome!.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

https://www.gog.com/game/panzer_general_2

Those 'old discs' are just too old I think. I keep my old PG2 box because it's awesome to have the actual game box.. but that's about all it's worth really. The contents inside are too out of date to be of actual use.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

The PG2 hand-painted maps were amazing.
dalfrede
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by dalfrede »

Retributarr wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:42 pm "KERENSKY!!!"...while you're here discussing "PG2"... you are "The-One" that just might be in the know as to where one could 'Download' revisit and play that old-Game!. I still have the 'Original-Disks'... but... alas... cannot get those old programs to work with the updated 'Windows-Version'.

Any assistance or guidance would surely be welcome!.
Open General is a freeware 'upgrade of PG2' , plays PG2 campaigns as well as new OG campaigns.
Just DuckDuckGo 'Open General'. It was a free rival to PGF in 2009, PGF is a pay upgrade to PzC.
OG is still being upgraded, PGF is not.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

dalfrede wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:17 am Open General is a freeware 'upgrade of PG2' , plays PG2 campaigns as well as new OG campaigns.
Just DuckDuckGo 'Open General'. It was a free rival to PGF in 2009, PGF is a pay upgrade to PzC.
OG is still being upgraded, PGF is not.
If PGF=Panzer General Forever then it's FREE !
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

terminator wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:21 am If PGF=Panzer General Forever then it's FREE !
Typo, should be:
PzC is a pay upgrade to PGF.

Yes both PGF and OG are freeware.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
JagdpanzerIV

Post by JagdpanzerIV »

Thank you guys, i will give it a try after i'm done with pathfinder kingmaker ;)
KesaAnna
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by KesaAnna »

JagdpanzerIV wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:12 pm Besides the interface, is there any meaningful differences?
Well , I never actually played Panzer Corps I ....

But I cannot resist here a personal anecdote ;

Did Panzer Corps I have a dedicated , fully - fleshed - out , Spanish Civil War DLC / expansion ? With the practical possibility of putting your Germans in Trubia tanks or Bilbao armored cars ? Or of equipping your Germans with Russian tanks and Russian howitzers ? Did your Stuka's begin their careers as Junkers Ju 87 A's , or even as Henschel Hs 123's ? Did you get to play with Spanish Nationalists , AND Italians , along with your Germans , and all at the same time ?

For that matter , did Panzer Corps I have fascinating AA gun and recon mechanics , that make investing in AA guns and recon units absolutely worth the while ?

Did it have camos , insignias , and heroes , which double the personalization and role-play aspects of your core units ?

In Panzer Corps 2 , it also appears we will be having some kind of funny business in Czechoslovakia and Denmark too !

( Czechoslovakia and Denmark as official content ??? Germans in Trubia tanks as official content ??? You mean I don't need a modding work - around for this neat , eccentric stuff ??? :shock: :D )

And the game only launched this March !

By the way , I had no idea when I bought the Field Marshall edition that the first expansion would be the Spanish Civil War ; my hearts desire ! :mrgreen:

For a game that only launched this March , I already rate Panzer Corps 2 as the best investment I ever made in a war game since Avalon Hill's " Jutland ".

Which is to say that , for me at least , Panzer Corps 2 is absolutely top drawer ! :D
IttoOgami
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by IttoOgami »

JagdpanzerIV wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:12 pm Besides the interface, is there any meaningful differences?

I'm asking because, i'm wondering if i will simply play more or less the same game with a different interface.
i got over 1000 hours into PzC I.

Thanks.
I feel there are so many interesting game mechanics added that gives it so much more opportunities.

The new heroes alone... I don't know if I even got one of each so far.
The general traits and weaknesses
Mechanisms for big encirclements.
Buffs and more specializations for unit types - especially AT guns are so much more improved. Units are more balanced (though I shed some tears here, no more endless instant kills with my overpowered 5-star 15 strenght 8.8 :)

Other than PzC 1 so far I think the DLCs don't live up to the Vanilla campaign yet, but I am fully convinced we will get there.
Schlack
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Schlack »

JagdpanzerIV wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:05 am Thanks for the feedback.

Same, but I dont get the PG3 vibe from PC2.

I really like the customisation that the Heroes give you.
FOARP
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by FOARP »

Kerensky wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:08 pm Panzer Corps definitely feels more like Panzer General.

Yeah, weren't the UK and US campaigns basically the same just with different voice-acting in PG2?

Honestly, as someone who loved PG1, I've always found the way that PG2 (and also Pacific General which had similar problems) got praised kind of confusing. Like I've said elsewhere, bad AI is one thing, but the AI literally not moving its artillery at all is a game-breaker as it makes the AI incapable of sustaining an offensive. Did everyone just play multi-player and not play against the AI? Also, PG2 had a few too many puzzler-like "reach objective X by turn Y" missions where it felt like the AI was AFK.

What was the problem with PG3? I remember reading people complaining about the AI moves being scripted but this doesn't seem like such a problem.
RandomAttack

Post by RandomAttack »

FOARP wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:20 am

Yeah, weren't the UK and US campaigns basically the same just with different voice-acting in PG2?

Honestly, as someone who loved PG1, I've always found the way that PG2 (and also Pacific General which had similar problems) got praised kind of confusing. Like I've said elsewhere, bad AI is one thing, but the AI literally not moving its artillery at all is a game-breaker as it makes the AI incapable of sustaining an offensive. Did everyone just play multi-player and not play against the AI? Also, PG2 had a few too many puzzler-like "reach objective X by turn Y" missions where it felt like the AI was AFK.

What was the problem with PG3? I remember reading people complaining about the AI moves being scripted but this doesn't seem like such a problem.
As I remember (OLD memories!), my main issue with PG3 & Peoples General were very low unit densities. Really brought out the puzzle game aspect, since you had so few units there really wasn't much of an option to win using different tactics. Kinda like playing tic-tac-toe as far as tactical options. While my memories are vague, I didn't care for any of the sequels after PG2 (and I bought them all).
FOARP

Post by FOARP »

RandomAttack wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:44 pm
FOARP wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:20 am

As I remember (OLD memories!), my main issue with PG3 & Peoples General were very low unit densities. Really brought out the puzzle game aspect, since you had so few units there really wasn't much of an option to win using different tactics. Kinda like playing tic-tac-toe as far as tactical options. While my memories are vague, I didn't care for any of the sequels after PG2 (and I bought them all).
People's General was truy awesome and I loved, even if I'll admit that you have a point about the low-unit density and the feeling that you were essentially playing a puzzler game rather than a wargame (I think the biggest difference between the two is whether enemy attacks are ever actually a worry). I agree that it's much better when you're playing across a broad front with different concerns to balance: the Norway map in PG1 remains the gold-standard as far as I am concerned, closely followed by the Korean War map in TOAW.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”