The most frustrating part of PC2: when you find out that you have to restart the entire campaign..

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Post Reply
smashtheaxis
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:55 pm

The most frustrating part of PC2: when you find out that you have to restart the entire campaign..

Post by smashtheaxis » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:45 am

The most frustrating part of Panzer Corps 2 is that you can win several scenarios and get deep into a campaign until you reach the point where you notice that the campaign has become unwinnable and you have to give up and start again from the beginning..

Because your "wins" actually weren't good enough. You might have won the last 8 scenarios or so, but because you didn't play them perfect enough, because you were too wasteful with your prestige or didn't support your allies well enough to prevent them from draining all your prestige, you have lost the game. Now you are 10 hours into a campaign and you can either give up or you have to play all the scenarios again. On either a lower difficulty setting, or hopefully with more skill acquired during the first play, and the fact that there are less "surprises".

I'm playing AO:SCW right now and I am stuck at Teruel. I have something like 1800 prestige, but I have to use pretty much all of it to restore my army and buy land units to replace the air units I can't use in this scenario. Plus having to buy aux infantry to fight through all the bad terrain full of enemy infantry. Which leaves me with zero prestige, a fact that also renders my allies useless after 4-5 turns, because they can't replace their loses. The little prestige earned by taking cities is not enough for that.

I think the Republicans are just too overpowered in this campaign. Makes me wonder how bad it will get when you are facing a truly overwhelming enemy like the soviets in future campaigns..

I was hoping to continue playing the new DLC soon, with my core from this campaign, but that's now far into the future. :-/

GUNDOBALDO08
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: The most frustrating part of PC2: when you find out that you have to restart the entire campaign..

Post by GUNDOBALDO08 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:33 am

If ti is too frustrating you can open console and write “setany prestige 3000”... ;)

o_t_d_x
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:39 pm

Re: The most frustrating part of PC2: when you find out that you have to restart the entire campaign..

Post by o_t_d_x » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:04 pm

I tell you what is really frustrating: I played iron man in my first try when the game was new and reached stalingrad. Field marshall diff combined with iron man in your first play through, is not easy. And then the power shortage killed my iron man save game.
Second try i reached balaton with fm iron man. And powershortage again, save game wrecked, all for nothing. One mission before berlin........

I made two mistakes:
  • 1. Always save your iron man save game, outside the game.
    2. Never post in the forum, when youre full of ... aaaaaaaaaaarghghgh emotions. :twisted:

nexusno2000
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Posts: 1405
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Re: The most frustrating part of PC2: when you find out that you have to restart the entire campaign..

Post by nexusno2000 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:02 pm

smashtheaxis wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:45 am
The most frustrating part of Panzer Corps 2 is that you can win several scenarios and get deep into a campaign until you reach the point where you notice that the campaign has become unwinnable and you have to give up and start again from the beginning..

Because your "wins" actually weren't good enough. You might have won the last 8 scenarios or so, but because you didn't play them perfect enough, because you were too wasteful with your prestige or didn't support your allies well enough to prevent them from draining all your prestige, you have lost the game. Now you are 10 hours into a campaign and you can either give up or you have to play all the scenarios again. On either a lower difficulty setting, or hopefully with more skill acquired during the first play, and the fact that there are less "surprises".

I'm playing AO:SCW right now and I am stuck at Teruel. I have something like 1800 prestige, but I have to use pretty much all of it to restore my army and buy land units to replace the air units I can't use in this scenario. Plus having to buy aux infantry to fight through all the bad terrain full of enemy infantry. Which leaves me with zero prestige, a fact that also renders my allies useless after 4-5 turns, because they can't replace their loses. The little prestige earned by taking cities is not enough for that.

I think the Republicans are just too overpowered in this campaign. Makes me wonder how bad it will get when you are facing a truly overwhelming enemy like the soviets in future campaigns..

I was hoping to continue playing the new DLC soon, with my core from this campaign, but that's now far into the future. :-/
While I understand where this is coming from, it is possible to play the entire SCW on max difficulty and have loads of prestige.

BUT it requires very exact play, and some foreknowledge of each scenario.
Green Knight
https://www.youtube.com/c/GreenKnight2001

impossible
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:02 pm

Re: The most frustrating part of PC2: when you find out that you have to restart the entire campaign..

Post by impossible » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:40 pm

chose trophies of war, flexible command, perimeter control.

encircle valuable enemy units, especially 152mm artillery, 76mm air defense and t-26 tanks. all your tanks except the verdeja should be captured t-26-s, all your artillery should be 152mm and the looted 1932 and eventually all your recon should be captured UNL-35. if you happen to get a scavenger hero its walk in the park.

i finished the spanish dlc with 38k prestige now playing the new 1939 axis operations it is even more ridiculous and way too easy with imported core.

KesaAnna
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:59 am

Re: The most frustrating part of PC2: when you find out that you have to restart the entire campaign..

Post by KesaAnna » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:50 am

GUNDOBALDO08 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:33 am
If ti is too frustrating you can open console and write “setany prestige 3000”... ;)
I'm happy to see that somebody besides just me is willing to say that ! :mrgreen:

In my view , in this game particularly , at least this cheat, is unfortunately miss - named.

In my view , Perimeter control and AA veteran , for example , could be called cheats.

( As regards AA Veteran though , granted , it will take me nearly the entire SCW campaign to amass enough experience , but , eventually , my horse - drawn , one - slot AA guns will start knocking airplanes out of the sky anyway , and not just suppressing them. )

Over - strength could be called a cheat , but then I never use it anyway --- and so , " No over - strength " isn't really a handicap either.

A whole room full of heroes , some of them quite good , can be something of a cheat.

In Spain I put one of my fighter aircraft units in that fat little Russian fighter the Republicans have , for jollies . But I was worried about my stockpile of Russian fighter aircraft , so I gave the unit two heroes I had picked up , hopefully to mitigate the damage .

Hopefully to mitigate the damage ! --- So far that unit has fought in four scenarios , and shot down 40 aircraft , most of them fighters , and hasn't lost a single strength point !

Parking an airplane , even just a recon plane , over my precious Russian 203mm 1931 howitzers , so that the enemy simply cannot strafe or bomb them with aircraft , might be a bit of a cheat ?

That your artillery will not provide fire support to Nationalist infantry IS a bug --- and a bug that can bleed your prestige like a vampire.

And I realize that the Battle of the Ebro was the greatest Republican offensive of that war , the really big show for them. But , geez , if I had an army like that , I would be sufficiently confident to invade Kansas.

So , for me , " Set anyprestige " simply balances out the game , and lets me merely enjoy it.

smashtheaxis
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:55 pm

Re: The most frustrating part of PC2: when you find out that you have to restart the entire campaign..

Post by smashtheaxis » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:56 pm

GUNDOBALDO08 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:33 am
If ti is too frustrating you can open console and write “setany prestige 3000”... ;)
Thanks for the hint, but I fear that I might use this cheat more than once if I start now.. :D

smashtheaxis
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:55 pm

Re: The most frustrating part of PC2: when you find out that you have to restart the entire campaign..

Post by smashtheaxis » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:04 pm

impossible wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:40 pm
chose trophies of war, flexible command, perimeter control.

encircle valuable enemy units, especially 152mm artillery, 76mm air defense and t-26 tanks. all your tanks except the verdeja should be captured t-26-s, all your artillery should be 152mm and the looted 1932 and eventually all your recon should be captured UNL-35. if you happen to get a scavenger hero its walk in the park.

i finished the spanish dlc with 38k prestige now playing the new 1939 axis operations it is even more ridiculous and way too easy with imported core.
Hmm, the mission is probably much easier with that amount of captured equipment. My Pz1s loose big time to the Kursk-like Republican tank rush, hehe.

IttoOgami
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:42 pm

Re: The most frustrating part of PC2: when you find out that you have to restart the entire campaign..

Post by IttoOgami » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:54 pm

smashtheaxis wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:45 am
The most frustrating part of Panzer Corps 2 is that you can win several scenarios and get deep into a campaign until you reach the point where you notice that the campaign has become unwinnable and you have to give up and start again from the beginning..

Because your "wins" actually weren't good enough. You might have won the last 8 scenarios or so, but because you didn't play them perfect enough, because you were too wasteful with your prestige or didn't support your allies well enough to prevent them from draining all your prestige, you have lost the game. Now you are 10 hours into a campaign and you can either give up or you have to play all the scenarios again. On either a lower difficulty setting, or hopefully with more skill acquired during the first play, and the fact that there are less "surprises".

I'm playing AO:SCW right now and I am stuck at Teruel. I have something like 1800 prestige, but I have to use pretty much all of it to restore my army and buy land units to replace the air units I can't use in this scenario. Plus having to buy aux infantry to fight through all the bad terrain full of enemy infantry. Which leaves me with zero prestige, a fact that also renders my allies useless after 4-5 turns, because they can't replace their loses. The little prestige earned by taking cities is not enough for that.

I think the Republicans are just too overpowered in this campaign. Makes me wonder how bad it will get when you are facing a truly overwhelming enemy like the soviets in future campaigns..

I was hoping to continue playing the new DLC soon, with my core from this campaign, but that's now far into the future. :-/
I think that problem was worse in Panzer Corps 1 with soft cap. Remember getting near the end of Grand Campaign 1942 for the first time and all seemed fine and suddenly my prestige just burned away while I didn't know why until I was at Kursk-Oboyan with under 2000 prestige left and lost the rest in there. Also, what I like more that with the Hero, Overstrength slot system unit strength is more manageable while in the first game a lot hinged simply on those experience stars.

My advice, don't give much elite replacement and then things will work out sooner or later. I also think you don't need to have the best Italian auxiliaries usually.

PaxusZero
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 12:50 am

Re: The most frustrating part of PC2: when you find out that you have to restart the entire campaign..

Post by PaxusZero » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:51 pm

If you ever really want to feel like a battle God, try out Setany Strength 100 (or something like that) and watch a tank just melt away opponents.

But, as above, try to avoid using elite replacements for everything. Also, avoid using replacements during a scenario, as they are MUCH cheaper in the prep phase (turn 0.)

nexusno2000
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Posts: 1405
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Re: The most frustrating part of PC2: when you find out that you have to restart the entire campaign..

Post by nexusno2000 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:56 pm

I object.

ALWAYS use Elite replacements :D
Green Knight
https://www.youtube.com/c/GreenKnight2001

PaxusZero
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 12:50 am

Re: The most frustrating part of PC2: when you find out that you have to restart the entire campaign..

Post by PaxusZero » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:03 pm

nexusno2000 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:56 pm
I object.

ALWAYS use Elite replacements :D
That's how I always felt, but then I found myself needing tanks to hold off enemies and all of them were at 5 or less strength. A couple with regular replacements kept them in the fight while the others went behind my lines to lick their wounds. It didn't take too many scenarios to get my two back to regular experience. And you hit the experience caps in the DLC pretty quickly anyway.

nexusno2000
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Posts: 1405
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Re: The most frustrating part of PC2: when you find out that you have to restart the entire campaign..

Post by nexusno2000 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:31 pm

PaxusZero wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:03 pm
nexusno2000 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:56 pm
I object.

ALWAYS use Elite replacements :D
That's how I always felt, but then I found myself needing tanks to hold off enemies and all of them were at 5 or less strength. A couple with regular replacements kept them in the fight while the others went behind my lines to lick their wounds. It didn't take too many scenarios to get my two back to regular experience. And you hit the experience caps in the DLC pretty quickly anyway.
It's the principle of the thing :D
Green Knight
https://www.youtube.com/c/GreenKnight2001

Post Reply

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”