Idea for a future AO 1944 DLC: "Operation Valkyrie"

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

smashtheaxis
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Idea for a future AO 1944 DLC: "Operation Valkyrie"

Post by smashtheaxis »

It's maybe a little early to talk about a possible 1944 DLC, but wouldn't it be interesting if you could take part in the coup attempt initiated by the civilian and military resistance groups on July 20th 1944? Like, a few mission into the campaign, the assassination attempt on Hitler happens and you have to choose a side.

You would be able to choose to support the coup and command army troops in Berlin to fight loyalists and the SS. If you win, the military takes power. Maybe there could be some additional alternative timeline missions to secure the coup. There was also fighting in Paris between putschists and loyalists, for example. Eventually leading to an alternative early ending of the war. Or an alternative 1945 DLC.

Or you could stay out of it and just continue the regular campaign tree.
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: Idea for a future AO 1944 DLC: "Operation Valkyrie"

Post by Retributarr »

smashtheaxis wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:36 am It's maybe a little early to talk about a possible 1944 DLC, but wouldn't it be interesting if you could take part in the coup attempt initiated by the civilian and military resistance groups on July 20th 1944? Like, a few mission into the campaign, the assassination attempt on Hitler happens and you have to choose a side.

You would be able to choose to support the coup and command army troops in Berlin to fight loyalists and the SS. If you win, the military takes power. Maybe there could be some additional alternative timeline missions to secure the coup. There was also fighting in Paris between putschists and loyalists, for example. Eventually leading to an alternative early ending of the war. Or an alternative 1945 DLC.

Or you could stay out of it and just continue the regular campaign tree.
Like "Artie-Johnston" on the T.V. Comedy Show "Laugh-In"... used to say as he wore his German-Helmet and wearing large spectacales... while in the process of spreading the thick heavy bushes apart with his hands to spy on something very important and then saying... "Very Interesting... But!!!... Not Very Funny!".

I'm somewhat 'Foggy' on this, so I could be completely wrong here!. My poor recollection tells me that if the 'Coupe-Attempt' was successful... that the Germans... were then planning on surrendering to the Allies.

Now!... one step further... not only would/could this be the end of the War as it was then taking place, but!... this could also now be the golden-opportunity to now initiate "Operation-Unthinkable"... the plan to bring Russia to its knee's... to put the Russian-Threat... out of business... for once and for all!.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

The game isn't allowed to have Nazis, or Waffen SS, and that door swings both ways.

Not having them be playable means it's equally not possible to specifically fight against them. So the way things are, "German Civil War" is not possible I'm afraid.
smashtheaxis

Post by smashtheaxis »

Kerensky wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:15 pm The game isn't allowed to have Nazis, or Waffen SS, and that door swings both ways.

Not having them be playable means it's equally not possible to specifically fight against them. So the way things are, "German Civil War" is not possible I'm afraid.
Good point. But if they are called Loyalists, "the regime forces", "the political leadership" or something vague like that?
Retributarr

Post by Retributarr »

Kerensky wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:15 pm The game isn't allowed to have Nazis, or Waffen SS, and that door swings both ways.

I agree!... and what you say "Makes-Good-Sense!". How-ever... couldn't some 'Subtle-White-Washing' of the despicable entities be done to tone down who and what they are?... say by starting by using an old term that the 'Americans' used to use... by naming these dark-entities as "Goons" or sum-such label?. Also by giving them some kind of 'Off-Color' for their uniforms and equipment?... even a different 'Flag'?... use that 'Dust-Mite' picture image as a 'Catalyst' to juice your creative efforts.

I think that if it is at-all-possible... that such an inclusion in the Game would be very-fitting in this WWII atmosphere. In the end... the final decision is yours alone!.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

smashtheaxis wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:39 pm Good point. But if they are called Loyalists, "the regime forces", "the political leadership" or something vague like that?
We did that with Operational Group E...but that was a single reference buried in the campaign and was just historical flavor for the giant prestige sink of DLC 1939.

Not sure an entire DLC can skate around the issue so easily. :cry:
Buffalohump
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Buffalohump »

Kerensky wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:55 pm
smashtheaxis wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:39 pm Good point. But if they are called Loyalists, "the regime forces", "the political leadership" or something vague like that?
We did that with Operational Group E...but that was a single reference buried in the campaign and was just historical flavor for the giant prestige sink of DLC 1939.

Not sure an entire DLC can skate around the issue so easily. :cry:
If not a full campaign how bout a single operation? I am thinking Operation Oak, Skorzeny's raid to rescue Mussolini.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”