Well, here I am.

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Well, here I am.

Post by bru888 »

I have been resisting the dark side, in favor of my loyalty to OOB. But the signs are there, and I cannot ignore them: The latest DLC being roundly trashed in the forum, sloppy stuff (errors and typos) being reported and not addressed, the game manual never being updated, the developers largely in absentia.

People keep comparing OOB to PC, with the one drawback for me about PC having been the wooden animation. If PC2 introduces the animation style of OOB without overwhelming my frames per second, and PC2 continues what I have heard are the best aspects of PC, well . . .

I can no longer look away. Here I am.
- Bru
bru888

Re: Well, here I am.

Post by bru888 »

bru888 wrote:the developers largely in absentia
Maybe this is the thing that has me most in doubt. Those guys should be in the forum over there, fighting for their game. Instead, silence.
- Bru
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Can you link some of the threads with negative comments on the latest OOB DLC? I'd be curious to see what they did, or didn't, do.

As for PzC 2, it's still quite some ways away from what I understand. I don't believe any official material has been released for public viewing yet, other than the announcement video.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Kerensky wrote:Can you link some of the threads with negative comments on the latest OOB DLC? I'd be curious to see what they did, or didn't, do.
No. I feel like a rat as it is. Go look and see for yourself.
- Bru
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Ah they are in the general section, I see. Okay I'll do some reading! :)
bru888

Post by bru888 »

It's not just the "Thumbs Down" thread. It's a bunch of others in that forum and Tech Support in which people report problems and no official responses are seen. You will notice that in most threads that even have replies, it's a few users speculating among themselves instead of receiving developer guidance and reassurance. This is especially reprehensible in Tech Support.
- Bru
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

bru888 wrote:
Kerensky wrote:Can you link some of the threads with negative comments on the latest OOB DLC? I'd be curious to see what they did, or didn't, do.
I think you are beginning to take this a bit too seriously. This is a game. I can understand some frustration, but dont take this too personally. Vote with your wallet. :D
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Andy2012 wrote:
bru888 wrote:
I think you are beginning to take this a bit too seriously. This is a game. I can understand some frustration, but dont take this too personally. Vote with your wallet. :D
Andy, that's good advice. I was thinking along the same lines in the past few days.

Part of it is all the time and effort that I put into the one scenario that I finally published and the one that I was working on until I read all of that stuff about Kriegsmarine. All that did was intensify my lingering doubts about OOB. What a waste for me if that franchise is headed for the dustbin of war gaming history.

Anyway, you are right. I am going to step back for a while and let matters take their own course, as they will anyway without me getting worked up over it.
- Bru
rubyjuno
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by rubyjuno »

bru888 wrote:I have been resisting the dark side, in favor of my loyalty to OOB. But the signs are there, and I cannot ignore them: The latest DLC being roundly trashed in the forum, sloppy stuff (errors and typos) being reported and not addressed, the game manual never being updated, the developers largely in absentia.

People keep comparing OOB to PC, with the one drawback for me about PC having been the wooden animation. If PC2 introduces the animation style of OOB without overwhelming my frames per second, and PC2 continues what I have heard are the best aspects of PC, well . . .

I can no longer look away. Here I am.
This is one of the reasons developers have such a difficult task - like many (but obviously not all) Panzer Corps players, I can't stand the cartoon-style graphics and animations of OOB. I bought OOB and the first DLC and really wanted to like it, but I gave up after a few scenarios. The stupid supply system and silly graphics annoyed me too much. The graphics in Panzer Corps suit me fine. So that is what a difficult job the developers of Panzer Corps 2 have - they can't please everyone :?
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Comparing the two games (OOB and PzC, speculating about PzC2), one person said "I don't think they really compete cause all sensible war gaming fans will buy both series." I doubt that and I will tell you why.

Obviously, I have been hanging out a lot in the OOB forums. Coming here, I see very little overlap of user names with those over there. With a quick scan of every thread in this forum so far, and not counting the Slitherines, I found only five names that looked familiar to me and only one of those has posted more than once or twice.

So whatever it is - perhaps the "stupid supply system and silly graphics" that others have praised about OOB, perhaps other things - the customer bases don't seem to mix based on this admittedly unscientific observation. Maybe it will be good for both games if PzC2 does not become OOB2 in that regard.
- Bru
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

bru888 wrote:Comparing the two games (OOB and PzC, speculating about PzC2), one person said "I don't think they really compete cause all sensible war gaming fans will buy both series." I doubt that and I will tell you why.

Obviously, I have been hanging out a lot in the OOB forums. Coming here, I see very little overlap of user names with those over there. With a quick scan of every thread in this forum so far, and not counting the Slitherines, I found only five names that looked familiar to me and only one of those has posted more than once or twice.

So whatever it is - perhaps the "stupid supply system and silly graphics" that others have praised about OOB, perhaps other things - the customer bases don't seem to mix based on this admittedly unscientific observation. Maybe it will be good for both games if PzC2 does not become OOB2 in that regard.
I bought and played and enjoyed most of Panzercorps (own almost all DLCs, way more than OoB), but never posted much because it worked flawlessly. I am pretty active in the OoB forum because a) I joined because the original kept crashing and I was very angry about the money I sank in there, b) there was a lively discussion about the game, it was new, fresh and stirred emotions, c) Erik does great ported campaigns, which make classic Panzercorps campaigns look awesome and play differently d) the DLCs kept coming and some were even good. Others werent. And that was pretty lively debated.
So, there is overlap. But for weird reasons (including mine). And until I have seen market research, I dont know how this will play out.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Hey folks, this is my buddy Andy! He's one of the five crossover guys I was talking about. Nice to see you, buddy! :wink:
- Bru
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

bru888 wrote:Hey folks, this is my buddy Andy! He's one of the five crossover guys I was talking about. Nice to see you, buddy! :wink:
See how chummy OoB is? It's a permanent hug-and-tug! :mrgreen: Everybody, come on over. Base game is free and Erik ports all the great Panzercorps Grand Campaign stuff to a fresh look and new game, also free. Check it out. Free. Do I need to say more?
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Andy2012 wrote:
bru888 wrote:Hey folks, this is my buddy Andy! He's one of the five crossover guys I was talking about. Nice to see you, buddy! :wink:
See how chummy OoB is? It's a permanent hug-and-tug! :mrgreen: Everybody, come on over. Base game is free and Erik ports all the great Panzercorps Grand Campaign stuff to a fresh look and new game, also free. Check it out. Free. Do I need to say more?
They should name an official DLC after that guy. Maybe Erikskrieg. :)
- Bru
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

@bru: Well, you can honor Erik by playtesting his campaigns with us. Blitzkrieg 41-42 is already pretty good.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”