Developers should show something new

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

funat
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Developers should show something new

Post by funat »

I don't know any case of software development (not only games but in general) where announcement has been made without a single follow up in a complete year. The development probably got stuck, stopped and there might be nothing to wait for. In short - vaporware. This is not a game from scratch - they have the graphics engine, they have the basic rules set, design can do things in parallel with programming, so it is not such a big effort to post a blog or a screen.
Not sure if their development team quit or they lost funding - but something happened for sure.
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

funat wrote:... announcement has been made without a single follow up in a complete year. The development probably got stuck, stopped and there might be nothing to wait for. In short - vapourware...
Someone from Slitherine commented on this topic literally a week ago. The game was also mentioned in Slitherine's end of year message about games to wait in 2018.

There's no need to exaggerate just because you aren't getting what you want.
funat
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by funat »

Slitherine comment happened after raised comments here. And also not mentioning the game in the Slitherine 2018. wait list would be an official statement that all progress is frozen.
So obviously they're not ready to pull the plug yet, but if they had anything to show they would. To me the announcement was a surprise anyway - I always considered OOB to be PzC 2.
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

Seems clear that their hands are tied by the publisher.

A lot of the games mentioned here that post those nice and detailed development blogs are either self-published or with a different publisher with less stringent rules.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

As a matter of interest, 8 weeks ago on Dec 10th I posted asking if the devs could use me as a PC2 playtester, and also asked if the project had gone dead in the water, and boss Iain McNeil replied on Jan 5th with-
"Very much alive but not ready for testers yet thanks"
http://slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=464&t=81069

As an ex-game developer myself at Cases Computer Simulations in the 1980's, the main question we faced was "what can we put into our games that other games don't already have?", so I should imagine the PC2 devs are facing the same thing.
For example I'm very impressed with Matrix/Slitherine's 'Order of Battle' game engine, it's like PC1 in many ways but goes a step further by having an excellent supply lines system, however in my opinion the graphics are a tad too cartoony and childish and a bit gaudy, kids might like them but they're a little off-putting to old farts like me.
Okay here's my simple two-fold suggestion to the PC2 devs-
1- We love PC1 to bits except for its lack of supply lines, so simply incorporate supply lines into the PC1 engine!
2- At the same time, spruce up the PC1 graphics a little bit to make them a tad more vibrant (but don't overdo it!)

PS- Here's a shot from Order of Battle showing its too-cartoony graphics, but note the excellent orange wavy line that indicates the perimeter of the beachhead, everybody inside it is in supply. As the game progresses, the line expands to follow each unit, it's especially exciting when you push deep into enemy territory and the line becomes a narrow vulnerable 'finger' connected to the supply source that must be protected.
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/516 ... rld.War.II
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

Further to my previous post, I just took this screenshot of an Order of Battle scenario (Smolensk) to illustrate better what I said about how a similar "supply lines" system in PC2 would dramatically boost the tension and excitement level.
My panzers began on the left of the map near their supply bases (50 and 20) and three of them have plunged east into the Russian hinterland along the blue arrow (which I've photoshopped in), but the Russkis have counterattacked (red arrow) and have cut the German supply line, what cheek, note how the orange squiggly zone around the 3 panzers no longer connects to the life blood of the supply bases.
Now the onus is on the Germans on the left to break through to the pocketed panzers to re-establish their supply line before they begin wilting through lack of goodies (fuel, ammo,replacs etc)
Needless to say, we can have fun cutting off the enemies supply too, it works both ways..:)
"Supply is the basis of the battle"- Erwin Rommel quote

PanzerCro
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by PanzerCro »

Will we get some infos, lets say, before Easter ? :)
verstaubtgesicht
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by verstaubtgesicht »

PanzerCro wrote:Will we get some infos, lets say, before Easter ? :)
Apparently not...
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Technically speaking, you are getting info when the developers don't reply, and the info is- they don't want to speak. So there, you must be satisfied now!
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

AlbertoC wrote:Postby AlbertoC » 01 Feb 2018 10:34
Just a bit more patience guys, please :D we'll have something to show very soon.

Very soon = 1 month or longer, it is probably a new definition of this phrase, Alberto. :wink:
cicciopastic
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by cicciopastic »

just comments from other t3d

see here
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 64&t=82839

"Exactly one year ago a new pc game was announced and many passionate ww2 strategic pc game lovers suddenly felt their heartbeat intensifying...
I guess many have fallen asleep by now wondering if it was a bad joke or at least are saddened by the lack of even a minimal update..."
ptje63

"Testing UPDATE5 - 1.0.88 - ALPHA -tigers on the hunt forum .
Have a look .
The developer listens , responds , and adjusts .(Peter Fisla)
don`t take my word , just read the forums . ( ignore my posts , they are babble )
One developer improving his game by listening to the community,
And yet there is one developer , he frequents the forums and comments more times than I have a beer .
12 months later and the die hards of PZ2 claim they are perfecting the game and give them time.
If it goes ahead it was never a community project which the developers supposedly wanted input .
Currently 2238 posts and responses by the devopler of tigers on the hunt since the 2nd of feb , 2016.
The interaction of the developers of PZ2 has even sunk below the PISS-POOR effort."

fuselex

i totally subscribe these! hope that on the first anniversary Alberto will give us some good new

dai cazzarola alberto, ma che ti costa ..... dicci qualche cosa..... non capisco ... proprio non capisco
fuselex
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by fuselex »

something new ?

AlbertoC wrote:
Postby AlbertoC » 01 Feb 2018 10:34
Just a bit more patience guys, please :D we'll have something to show very soon.

How long did that take to type albert . 20 seconds ?
it is the lack of responses to dedicated fans that is the downfall .
fuselex

Post by fuselex »

I`m only here to vent my frustration over a classic game .
I will never buy PC2 due to the developers lack of interest in the community .
Nothing , they announced it , and never involved the community.
that is how a game dies.
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

fuselex wrote:...
Dude's totally going to buy it. Probably on day 1.
proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by proline »

Sourdust wrote:
I for one will not. Not because of the lack of pre-release engagement which really doesn't matter in the end, but because of the piss poor programming that went into the iPad version and especially the Mac version where they won't even fix the distorted ultra wide UI. If you don't believe me, I'll point out that I have never bought OOB or any other Slitherine game. PzC was the only game worth putting up with the poor quality control.
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

proline wrote:
Sourdust wrote:
I for one will not. Not because of the lack of pre-release engagement which really doesn't matter in the end, but because of the piss poor programming that went into the iPad version and especially the Mac version where they won't even fix the distorted ultra wide UI. If you don't believe me, I'll point out that I have never bought OOB or any other Slitherine game. PzC was the only game worth putting up with the poor quality control.
My prediction: you're gonna buy it.
proline

Post by proline »

Sourdust wrote:My prediction: you're gonna buy it.
If you've never used the Mac version of Panzer Corps you have no idea just what kind of crap Slitherine is willing to release. Now that I have, I do.
cicciopastic

Post by cicciopastic »

today's the 364 day without any single information .... 2 more day and we'll have all waited one year .... thank to be so close to your fan base

kind regard cicciopastic
proline

Post by proline »

cicciopastic wrote:today's the 364 day without any single information .... 2 more day and we'll have all waited one year .... thank to be so close to your fan base

kind regard cicciopastic
I can pretty much guarantee they aren't going to say anything more about this vaporware just because of some arbitrary anniversary.
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

proline wrote:
Sourdust wrote:My prediction: you're gonna buy it.
If you've never used the Mac version of Panzer Corps you have no idea just what kind of crap Slitherine is willing to release. Now that I have, I do.
Yep, tried the Mac version, and quickly went back to the Windows version. And I also recall the debacle that was the re-release of Battle of the Bulge, which I responded to probably overly stridently on the forums.

Still, you'll buy PC2. You wouldn't be on these forums otherwise.

I've been having a good whinge about the lack of community engagement myself, but when it comes down to it, we're all going to buy the thing.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”