Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #8

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #8

Post by AlbertoC »

Hello All! Welcome to the first dev diary of 2019. Today we wanted to make another dive into game mechanics. And since many people asked about naval rules, this is what we are going to cover in today’s issue.

Of course, the main focus of Panzer Corps series is ground warfare. Compared to that, ships can be considered less important. At the same time, scenarios involving ships and naval landings provide a different set of challenges and for this reason feel unique and memorable. In Panzer Corps 2 we wanted to try and make the ships even more interesting to play with, both in single player and multiplayer environment. In scenarios focused on naval warfare, ships can be purchased, upgraded and repaired in ports and can capture neutral and enemy ports. So, it is possible to have up to 8 fleets struggling for control of a map, much like it works for ground units. We keep the basic “rock – paper – scissors” approach from Panzer Corps for capital ships, destroyers and submarines, but add a number of new rules on top.

Damage model

All ships are single entities, and their strength number indicates hit points. Reduced hit points do not automatically reduce the ship’s firepower. Larger ships, like battleships and heavy cruisers, have more hit points to reflect their higher survivability. All damage done to ships falls in two categories: “kills” and “wounds”. “Wounds” can be repaired in open sea, while “kills” can only be repaired in ports. One “wound” per turn is healed automatically. Unspent move and attack actions are used to heal additional “wounds”.

When attacking enemy ships, both distance to the target and relative orientation of the attacker and the defender affects the accuracy of the shot. Smaller ships are also harder to hit from long distance.

Support fire

To better represent cooperation between ships, we introduce several new support fire rules.

- Destroyers provide support fire against enemy submarines.
- Ships with AA ability provide support fire against enemy bombers.
- Capital ships provide support fire to smaller ships and naval transports against enemy capital ships.
- Ships provide support fire to adjacent ground units against enemy ground units. This means that ships become very important in their role to support naval landings, especially destroyers because larger ships cannot enter shallow water.

Submarines

Submarines can switch between submerged and surfaced states. Surfaced submarines have better movement speed, spotting and firing accuracy, but can be spotted and attacked like any other ship. Only surfaced submarines can enter shallow sea hexes. Submerged submarines are much more difficult to spot: they can only be spotted only by destroyers, and only if they moved on their turn. Submerged subs also ignore ZOC of enemy ships.

Carriers

Carriers serve as mobile airfields. Air units attack from carriers and automatically return at the beginning of their turn. Each carrier has a certain aircraft capacity (up to 7), and aircraft types which it can carry are configured for each carrier type separately.

Special damage

Each point of damage done to a ship also gives a certain chance to cause “special damage” which affects the ship’s stats in various ways. Here are some examples of special damage:

- Damaged turret – reduced naval/ground attack strength.
- Damaged AA turret – reduced air attack.
- Damaged propellers or engine room – reduced speed
- Damaged radar – reduced spotting
- Damaged sonar (destroyer) – can no longer detect submerged submarines
- Damaged flight deck (carriers) – all aircraft lose move and attack actions next turn

Naval landings

As was explained in previous dev diaries, embark only requires unspent attack action, which allows to embark a whole army in a single port in a single turn. Same is true for disembark: it only requires unspent attack action, which means that naval transport can move and disembark on the same turn. This makes naval landings much more flexible. Additionally, infantry units have a special ability to attack directly from landing craft. This, combined with damage and suppression from other ships, allows pushing enemy units back from the shore.

komejant
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #8

Post by komejant »

Really like what I have seen about the game so far, I only have one small gripe. Will it be possible to change the color scheme of unit strength icons? Current green/gray option makes it hard to get a good overview of friendly/enemy units on a quick glance. Green/red or blue/red would be much better imho. Also is there an option to show flags over units?
RandomAttack
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by RandomAttack »

I realize this is just a snapshot of the rules, but the whole at-sea support fire description sounds incredibly gamey/unrealistic/convoluted. My first thought was: so I can have a battleship adjacent to three transports, and an enemy battleship comes juuuuust within range to spot/shoot at a transport, and my battleship gets a free shot in support? What if my battleship is "1 hex" out of range-- does it still support-fire?? Please don't go down the OOB path where one ship can spot for another ship-- it just didn't work that way in WWII. No ship should be able to fire on another ship beyond its spotting range. On the other hand, a ship (say a destroyer) adjacent to land units and providing support fire sounds much more reasonable-- that happened frequently.

I'm sure there is more info, but just doesn't sound right.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

komejant wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:22 pm Really like what I have seen about the game so far, I only have one small gripe. Will it be possible to change the color scheme of unit strength icons? Current green/gray option makes it hard to get a good overview of friendly/enemy units on a quick glance. Green/red or blue/red would be much better imho. Also is there an option to show flags over units?
I would agree on the importance of more distinct colors, especially for older eyes… :roll:
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
Molve
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Molve »

Yes, I trust that the GUI will be customizable to allow us older fans with poor eyesight to play the game too.

The way Panzer Corps is old and crude with today's graphics standards; that it doesn't default to (or even support) high resolutions, is actually a huge boon, since it makes all the numbers easily readable.

Low resolution + big screens = a big win for old eyes :)

Far too many simulation games are coded by 20-somethings with zero thought about playing the game on something else than a 2K 40 inch screen in a 9 pt font...
WhiteRook
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by WhiteRook »

Waiting - can't arrive soon enough. Just don't forget about the Pacific.....
dmwban
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by dmwban »

I was totally enthusiastic about sea warfare when playing History Line 1914-1918 back in the 90s. It was a refreshing alternation to land battles. Unfortunately the game had only two sea maps. So I bought Pacific Admiral from SSI back then and recently Order of Battle Pacific but I did not finish any of them. After a few maps it gets boring for me. Landing maps are more about logistics than fighting and this is less fun, too. I favor pure land battles, but this may be very subjective. I think simulations or fps do a better job of capturing the feeling - it's relaxing slow paced and you can chat with team mates until you meet the enemy. I only played the custom maps of Forgotten Hope 2 (Battlefield 2 Mod) like Midway, Wake Island, Philippines ..., which unfortunately aren't playable at the moment anymore. I haven't played World of Warships though.

Summary: A few sea maps may be a good alternation but lots of them are boring because they play out in similar ways. An exception would be if they are multiplayer or the AI uses flexible strategies instead of scripts. Landing maps are also fun as an alternation but the logistics aspect is more tedious then fun.
Molve
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Molve »

Some players want a Pacific Corps game inside Panzer Corps 2.

I trust and hope that the devs ignore this. You get a much better result with theatre-specific games - no marine landing or tropical fever special rules cluttering up a tank-inf-arty game and no mass tank battle rules (or whatever) cluttering up a battleship-carrier-planes game.

The hint is in the name: Panzer Corps 2. :D
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Retributarr »

Molve wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:13 pm Some players want a Pacific Corps game inside Panzer Corps 2.

I trust and hope that the devs ignore this. You get a much better result with theatre-specific games - no marine landing or tropical fever special rules cluttering up a tank-inf-arty game and no mass tank battle rules (or whatever) cluttering up a battleship-carrier-planes game.

The hint is in the name: Panzer Corps 2. :D
`Previously..."SSI"...had a Naval Game called...'Pacific-General' ,...just for that very purpose!.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

I might have missed it but are there any plans to cover the Pacific War in some form, e.g. as a separate DLC or separate game? Would be interesting as I don’t know that much about it yet…
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
Retributarr

Post by Retributarr »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:21 am I might have missed it but are there any plans to cover the Pacific War in some form, e.g. as a separate DLC or separate game? Would be interesting as I don’t know that much about it yet…
"PeteMitchell_2...said...are there any plans to cover the Pacific War"

No!...but based on what some ... who are advocating for the inclusion of more 'Naval' activity in PzC2, especially in the 'Pacific', I just then reminded them that a previous developer (SSI_Strategic Simulations Incorporated) accommodated those said person's with a "NAVAL" action game called "PACIFIC GENERAL".

So...if there is enough interest for such a game with 'Heavy Naval Content', then ... it should then be in an altogether different game package by itself!. Mixing PzC2 with 'Heavy Naval Content'...is like putting 'Ketchup on Ice-cream'...it doesn't mix well.
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

Excellent!

Love the changes to ships. Now we can make Naval maps and scenarios.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”