Stalingrad

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

pascout101
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Stalingrad

Post by pascout101 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:41 am

So getting crushed in stalingrad, anyone have any ideas for a win that doesnt involve all your units destroyed and prestige completely drained or are we just supposed to lose? It seems like the ai also keeps getting kills of like they attack and do 6 or 7 damage while I'm stuck doing 2 or 3.

Resolute
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Stalingrad

Post by Resolute » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:48 am

Hard to say without knowing your core setup. Karl and Gustav do work wonders here and you need a lot of infantry (Pioneers) and artillery especially to mitigate some of those kamikaze attacks. The map can be brutal but it's def. one of my favourite ones.

MickMannock
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by MickMannock » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:42 am

pascout101 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:41 am
So getting crushed in stalingrad, anyone have any ideas for a win that doesnt involve all your units destroyed and prestige completely drained or are we just supposed to lose? It seems like the ai also keeps getting kills of like they attack and do 6 or 7 damage while I'm stuck doing 2 or 3.
I'm in the midst of this scenario myself so I can't claim to have beaten it. It's very difficult because it's such a big map and you have relatively few units. Personally I have had a slight weight towards infantry over tanks in my campaign, so it works decent for me on this type of map. It's important to make good use of your tanks on all those hexes that are not city though (using overrun if possible) and against some of the artillery. I also have a He 177 that works great as a flexible artillery in this type of map.

I think I will get a victory but it's not for certain. So maybe I'll come back here and beg for advice myself. :)

Snake97644
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Snake97644 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:11 pm

MickMannock wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:42 am
pascout101 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:41 am
I'm in the midst of this scenario myself so I can't claim to have beaten it. It's very difficult because it's such a big map and you have relatively few units. Personally I have had a slight weight towards infantry over tanks in my campaign, so it works decent for me on this type of map. It's important to make good use of your tanks on all those hexes that are not city though (using overrun if possible) and against some of the artillery. I also have a He 177 that works great as a flexible artillery in this type of map.

I think I will get a victory but it's not for certain. So maybe I'll come back here and beg for advice myself. :)
As Mick said OS your infantry and arty, armor is helpful getting into the city, but once there they become a liability. As Resolute said Pioneer are key. I converted some of my grenaders and regulars (wher) in to pioneers just for this battle. It costs prestige, but remember you can always sell back the upgrade latter. Also I massed my attack on the airfield, then took the northern half the city. After that I used the railines to transfer south and take the lower half of the city. Be sure to secure the docks early so you can stop the Soviets from re enforcing across the Volga.

Nalikill
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Nalikill » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:23 pm

Armor isn't necessarily a liability in the city - there are clear hexes - but you have to be very, very careful to always end your armor's turn in a clear hex. They can be very useful for dishing out boatloads of damage in the city and then dashing back out again - or just controlling those clear pathways against the approach of enemy armor.

An overstrength, no-retaliation, ignores ZOC prototype Tiger like I was able to build in my campaign is going to wreck some face here. :-D

MickMannock

Post by MickMannock » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:36 pm

Finished Stalingrad today and it was the most difficult scenario so far. I managed to win it, with all bonus hexes, with 2 turns left. It was a heck of a grind and I lost a lot of prestige with all the replacements I had to use for my units.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”