Panzer Corps 2 - Axis Operations DLCs announced

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Panzer Corps 2 - Axis Operations DLCs announced

Post by AlbertoC »

When Panzer Corps 2 launched in March we saw a very good critical response and we were joined by many thousands of players, all eager to fire up their Panzers and dive into classic WW2 gameplay on a beautiful new game engine.
With that launch there was also an offer of a Field Marshal Edition of the game that included the first two DLCs that will be coming to Panzer Corps 2.

Now we're finally ready to reveal details of the first two of Panzer Corps 2's exciting post-launch additions. We're calling them the new Axis Operations campaigns!

The New Axis Operations

Ever since Panzer Corps 2 was announced, a new Grand Campaign was by far the most frequent request which we heard from our players. It was hardly surprising, because the Grand Campaign was the most popular series of DLCs for the original game. We always listen to wishes of our community and give such things top priority. Axis Operations is our response to all of the people who wished for the creation of a new Grand Campaign. Simply put, it will be a series of campaigns that can be linked together, to form one giant, potentially 100+ scenario, behemoth of a campaign.

The Wehrmacht Campaign in Panzer Corps 2 is a good introductory campaign which many players have enjoyed and learnt the basics of Panzer Corps 2 gameplay in the process. But it was not without problems. Some issues which you, the community, raised were: missing mission debriefings, degrees of victory, historical heroes and the need for more varied objectives. In general, some players felt that the campaign did not offer enough storytelling and immersion in historical events.

Axis Operations will address all these issues. There will be more storytelling and interesting characters in these campaigns. There will also be a lot of innovation in terms of gameplay features, mission design, bonus objectives and rewards for fulfilling them, and more. The AI won’t remain the same either, so be prepared for some nasty surprises from your computer opponent!

The original Panzer Corps Grand Campaign stretched from 1939 to 1945, covering a whopping 144 scenarios. Our aim is to go bigger and better for the new Axis Operations. Even though Panzer Corps DLCs covered a lot of historical ground, we will still visit lots of places never explored before, and battles which you’ve never fought in the past. Find it hard to believe? Read on.

The first two DLCs included with the Field Marshal Edition of Panzer Corps 2 represent the first two links of the Axis Operations chain.

Axis Operations - Spanish Civil War

For starters we aren't going to begin in Poland this time. We're turning the clock back a bit further and the first campaign of the Axis Operations takes the player to the prelude to World War II, the Spanish Civil War, which we will be releasing on July 16th.
This campaign will give players the opportunity to experience content that not even the original Panzer Corps, with its extensive library of DLCs and expansion packs, managed to cover.

In Spanish Civil War you take command of the Condor Legion and in line with the Grand Campaign traditions you will be able to transfer your veterans, hardened by three years of fighting in Spain, to the next campaigns.

A unique and innovative feature of the Spanish Civil War campaign is how you will communicate and coordinate with your AI-controlled allies. Nationalist Spanish troops are not under your direct control, but you will still be able to issue high-level orders to your allies (like “Attack”, “Defend” and “Hold Ground”) so that their actions better match your own strategy. This creates a completely new experience never seen before in a Panzer Corps campaign. We can’t wait to hear your feedback about this new way of playing.

Axis Operations - 1939

The next part of our future content plans will release on August 27th, and it will be Axis Operations: 1939.

But once again... we're still not quite in Poland yet. Axis Operations 1939 starts in March of 1939, which I'm sure our history buffs will recognize as the important date when Germany marched into Czechoslovakia.

That scenario, by the way, has some very unusual mechanics attached to it. If you've ever wondered why they call them Panzer 35(t) and Panzer 38(t) you'll found out here.

After that... we're still not quite getting to Poland just yet. Something else happened in 1939, a battle that might have actually changed the course of history. There was a French invasion of Germany! We're going to explore that conflict.

To compare with the original Grand Campaign, we're already looking at more than 20 battles worth of new content before we get to the fighting in Poland in 1939.

After 1939 is completed, once again your CORE force will be saved, so that they will be ready for the next instalment of the Axis Operations.

Field Marshal Edition - 7 days Priority access

As mentioned above, the first two Axis Operations campaigns will release on July 16th and August 27th. We do have an extra surprise for all our Field Marshal Edition owners, though.

All of you who own the Field Marshal Edition will get priority access to the first two Axis Operations campaigns, a full seven days before their release dates!

Field Marshal Edition owners will be able to download, install and play Spanish Civil War on July 9th and 1939 on August 20th.

More information on both DLCs will be available in the future, with a complete description, scenarios list, details on new units and new screenshots!
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Axis Operations DLCs announced

Post by Horseman »

Amazing, well hyped now. So that's one Month to complete my AAR!
Matyna
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Matyna »

I hope those I-15 will get theyr proper model and will not be using CR.42 one.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

I was expecting that decision given the huge support for Grand Campaign on the forums. What's great is that it at least in a certain way combines what I hoped for in seeing other locations in the DLCs. Spanish Civil War looks really different - the units will be less powerful (Ju 52 as bombers!) and will hopefully add lot of them for the German, Italian and Spanish factions, building up the roster for any future expansions. It's reassuring to see that the Axis Operations DLC is not designed as a copy of Grand Campaign, but a separate beast.

What I'm curious about is if some scenarios will be less combat oriented, like the invasion of Czechoslovakia. I remember PzC 1 Royal Hungarian Army - Turan Campaign v1.2 (viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36969) had a interesting scenario in which the aim was to sprint through the Romanian lands with only partisans fighting back to get as much territory as possible, accumulte prestige and see a plot twist at the end. Throwing in something like this from time to time could be an interesing distraction - same in the future additions, some small scale maps with very specific objectives as bonuses for good results?
BaronVonWalrus
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by BaronVonWalrus »

Consider my money - and even more of what free time I have - assuredly taken.
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Retributarr »

"Tassadar": Your commentary on... "The Invasion of Czechoslovakia"... and what could be done with it as well as for other future DLC's is... definitely intriguing!. This would 'Rocket-Power' some 'Much needed "Fire & Spice" into the Game to help 'Energize' it!... to make it 'Riveting'... and difficult to stop playing.

These types of additions to the PzCr2-Game... could very-well start an 'Infection' to others who are still on the sidelines... and have not yet entered this PzC2-HoloDeck-World!.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Matyna wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:37 pm I hope those I-15 will get theyr proper model and will not be using CR.42 one.
Eagle eyes you have there.
But yes, a new I-15 model is one of the new unit models that was planned in the upcoming roster. Hopefully we will indeed get it. :)
Tassadar wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:55 pm What I'm curious about is if some scenarios will be less combat oriented, like the invasion of Czechoslovakia. I remember PzC 1 Royal Hungarian Army - Turan Campaign v1.2 (viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36969) had a interesting scenario in which the aim was to sprint through the Romanian lands with only partisans fighting back to get as much territory as possible, accumulte prestige and see a plot twist at the end. Throwing in something like this from time to time could be an interesing distraction - same in the future additions, some small scale maps with very specific objectives as bonuses for good results?
Without spoiling too much, I can confirm that Czechoslovakia is indeed a unique scenario. For now, I will say it's an exercise in restraint. It's all about maneuver, encirclement, and using measured tactics to achieve your objectives. Not going in and blasting every enemy to dust (although this is still feasible for anyone not interested in fancy mechanics and who just want to get on with the show). Degrees of victory/bonus objectives allow for flexibility in what it means to 'beat' a scenario.
Last edited by Kerensky on Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Tassadar wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:55 pm I was expecting that decision given the huge support for Grand Campaign on the forums. What's great is that it at least in a certain way combines what I hoped for in seeing other locations in the DLCs. Spanish Civil War looks really different - the units will be less powerful (Ju 52 as bombers!) and will hopefully add lot of them for the German, Italian and Spanish factions, building up the roster for any future expansions. It's reassuring to see that the Axis Operations DLC is not designed as a copy of Grand Campaign, but a separate beast.
Ju-52 bomber conversion is steeped in historical relevance, as you will see in the campaign.

The short version is:

Franco's coup forces were in Africa, and the Republican Naval Blockade was between them and mainland Spain.
Germany (and Italy) provided aircraft to air lift to get them across the Strait of Gibraltar.
Nationalist aircraft were too light to harm a battleship. In July 1936... air units are still biplanes.
So they converted some their Ju-52 transports into bombers to attack the battleship Jaime I.

Fascinating stuff, and hardwired into the campaign's new objectives.
Retributarr

Post by Retributarr »

Tassadar wrote: ↑
It's reassuring to see that the Axis Operations DLC is not designed as a copy of Grand Campaign, but a separate beast.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote="Kerensky" post"
Ju-52 bomber conversion is steeped in historical relevance, as you will see in the campaign.

In July 1936... air units are still biplanes.
So they converted some of their Ju-52 transports into bombers to attack the battleship Jaime I.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retributarr reply:
Kerensky!... I'm "Impressed" by your 'zero-ing' into the 'fine-intricate-details' of the integral-mechanics of the 'Units' that are to be available in the PzC2-Game!.
Keep up your diligence in these matters!... because it really does matter!.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Retributarr wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:19 pmI'm "Impressed" by your 'zero-ing' into the 'fine-intricate-details' of the integral-mechanics of the 'Units' that are to be available in the PzC2-Game!.
Keep up your diligence in these matters!... because it really does matter!.
Thanks.

It is one of the primary strengths of a Grand Campaign environment. Ability to focus in on excruciating levels of detail. I fully intend to lean into it. Hopefully more details will be available soon. Right from the very beginning of the Spanish Civil War, the very first scenario...... well maybe I should wait for Slitherine to reveal more information before I unload into more details. But as I mentioned, it's all about the Ju-52's historical place and function as a transport, and then as a bomber conversion. :wink:
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

Kerensky wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:52 pm
Tassadar wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:55 pm I was expecting that decision given the huge support for Grand Campaign on the forums. What's great is that it at least in a certain way combines what I hoped for in seeing other locations in the DLCs. Spanish Civil War looks really different - the units will be less powerful (Ju 52 as bombers!) and will hopefully add lot of them for the German, Italian and Spanish factions, building up the roster for any future expansions. It's reassuring to see that the Axis Operations DLC is not designed as a copy of Grand Campaign, but a separate beast.

The short version is:

Franco's coup forces were in Africa, and the Republican Naval Blockade was between them and mainland Spain.
Germany (and Italy) provided aircraft to air lift to get them across the Strait of Gibraltar.
Nationalist aircraft were too light to harm a battleship. In July 1936... air units are still biplanes.
So they converted some their Ju-52 transports into bombers to attack the battleship Jaime I.

I actually collected a series of magazines in my young childhood about various airplanes and learnt about the bomber role of Ju 52 there for the first time (there's even the bomber variant on the cover). Ah, the times before internet was a thing...

It was around that time when I got interested in the purely technical aspect of WW2 tanks, planes and such, so that machine brings some memories. Besides, there something unique about three engine propeller aircraft in the way they look and in the design itself. Italian bombers come to mind as well. Love it when Panzer Corps brings up the less known vehicles or the more common ones in less known roles, so glad to see this. Spanish Civil War also means I'll get to see the CR.32 to which I'm looking forward to, regardless of how weak it will be.

Now I've got to wisit Kraków again one day as they have a Ju 52 on display in the aviation museum - granted, it's the French built Amiot AAC.1 Toucan version, but it counts. :)

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Tassadar wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:45 pm I actually collected a series of magazines in my young childhood about various airplanes and learnt about the bomber role of Ju 52 there for the first time (there's even the bomber variant on the cover). Ah, the times before internet was a thing...

It was around that time when I got interested in the purely technical aspect of WW2 tanks, planes and such, so that machine brings some memories. Besides, there something unique about three engine propeller aircraft in the way they look and in the design itself. Italian bombers come to mind as well. Love it when Panzer Corps brings up the less known vehicles or the more common ones in less known roles, so glad to see this. Spanish Civil War also means I'll get to see the CR.32 to which I'm looking forward to, regardless of how weak it will be.

Now I've got to wisit Kraków again one day as they have a Ju 52 on display in the aviation museum - granted, it's the French built Amiot AAC.1 Toucan version, but it counts. :)
Interesting.

I'll have to check and see if it's appropriate for us to relabel the game's Ju-52 Bomber as Ju-52/3M.

I'm not entirely sure if the early Ju-52s were just conversions of transports, or the actual military model. I seem to recall reading the Ju52s used to bomb the Jaime I were units converted on the fly, not the purpose built bomber variant, but I can't find the source I recall reading this from...
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

Took this little gem from the shelf now to check. :)

According to the authors, the first bomber variant used by the Germans was a Ju 52/3m g3e conversion known as the Behelfsbomber (support bomber), menat as a stopgap due to delays in Dornier Do 11 development. They later added a few gXe variants with some small changes to engines, gear or guns.

As for the ones that bombarded the Jaime I, these were two Ju 52/3m transport planes fitted with three DSAC 250/VIII bomb containers each (shown below), carrying a total of 6 250kg bombs per plane. One of the planes did not locate the target and the other managed to hit it with just one of the bombs, killing or wounding 47 sailors and causing very minor damage to the ship itself.

In general, in Spain for bombing purposes Ju 52/3m g3e was used intially, but then it was replaced with the Ju 52/3m g4e varaint that was the most common one. It seems however that the role was relatively flexible depending on the needs.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Tassadar wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:22 pm As for the ones that bombarded the Jaime I, these were two Ju 52/3m transport planes fitted with three DSAC 250/VIII bomb containers each (shown below), carrying a total 6 250kg bomb per plane. One of the planes did not locate the target and the other managed to hit it with just one of the bombs, killing or wounding 47 sailors and causing very minor damage to the ship itself.
Very interesting, and it confirms what I remember reading.
The bombers used against Jaime I were not purpose built bomber versions, but an adhoc conversion of the transport model that had been used to shuttle the Army of Africa from Morocco to Spain.
Thanks for the verification! :mrgreen:
Matyna
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Matyna »

Kerensky wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:36 pm
Matyna wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:37 pm I hope those I-15 will get theyr proper model and will not be using CR.42 one.
Eagle eyes you have there.
But yes, a new I-15 model is one of the new unit models that was planned in the upcoming roster. Hopefully we will indeed get it. :)
Great to hear! As almost all biplane fighters use this model, o hope everyone gets its own! Also BR.20 need new model, also a lot of another stuff of couse. Loking forward to this DLC and new models and stuff. Will there be even some new Single scenarios?
monkspider

Post by monkspider »

YES!!! This looks amazing, it is adding everything I wanted to see. I was always a loud advocate for adding the Kondor Legion to the Grand Campaign and you are actually doing it. The added storytelling and historical flavor is also huge. Mission debriefings, need I say more. In short, it looks like the Grand Campaign is being taken to the next level!
SineMora
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by SineMora »

A new GC right off the bat? And with the Condor Legion? I'll take that 8)

I'm hoping for more variation in scenario scope as well, as the original GC just kept growing in scope every scenario and turned the latter part of the Eastern Front into an endless grind. I'd rather see a few smaller, more focused scenarios here and there, similar to Smolensk '43 (7 turns on Guderian), ideally by reducing the # of core slots for some of these, because battles like Kursk don't feel that special when every other scenario is just as big.
Mildly pretentious Swede. Goes by Path on most platforms, including Steam.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=596&t=98034 -- Generalissimus AAR (no Trophies / Heroes)
MathiasK
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by MathiasK »

Legion Condor Nice !!!
Some questions:
1. Will we have the typical Legion Condor Camo for the planes and also for the tanks ??? Also typical italian, republic and national spanish camo ?
2. Will we have typical spanish units like - Henschel Typ 33 and Ford V8 E917 trucks, AAC37, UNL-35 and Bilbao AC recon cars, BT-2, BT-5 and T-26 M33 with camo, Pzkfw IB with modified turret ?
3. Will we have addional terrain typs for spain , like cactus fields, hammada regions or vinefields and appel plantages ?
4. Will we have named historical units in this new grand campaign typ ?

Add: For now I can see only soviet uniformed Infantry and desert camo german planes - no spanish stuff for now - but I hope thats only the ALPHA version....
Last edited by MathiasK on Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmurphy238
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Dmurphy238 »

I am so happy! Spanish Civil War looks great! The only thing (and this is minor) that bothered me a little was the purple color used to designate the Republicans; it looks a little cheesy. BUT, it is historical as purple was part of the Republican flag so I can happily live with it. Am happy to hear they will be changing up the victory conditions and creating interesting objectives (a la PC1). The Czech scenario and the '39 French invasion on Germany sound very interesting! Thank you!!!!
Last edited by Dmurphy238 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

Sounds nice, I´m looking forward! :D

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”