Jupiter-Class Names

The Cylons have rebelled. The alliance of the Twelve Colonies falters. Take control of the Colonial Fleet and save humanity from an endless war.
JBerg2021
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Jupiter-Class Names

Post by JBerg2021 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:12 am

Have the developers created a list of what the names are for the first 12 Battlestars and which colonies they belong to? I know that, in-game, the Galactica (Caprica), Athena (Picon), and Demeter (Aerilon) are identified, and the last four have yet to be built, but just curious if there's a set list for the other 5 of the first 8.

Just hoping we'll either see them in subsequent seasons or I can build them and be "consistent". Gotta get my lore-fix somehow, and this seems to be the only venue for that now.

BossDos
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Jupiter-Class Names

Post by BossDos » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:34 pm

There were the Columbia, Prometheus, Jupiter, Pacifica, Triton, Atlantia, Rycon, Olduvai and Heracles besides the Galactica, Athena and Demeter.

Which are the twelve Jupiters launched under the articles of colonization. The Columbia got destroyed in Operation Raptor Talon, the Rycon also got destroyed in the first war.

Only the Athena, Galactica, Prometheus and Atlantia survived the war, but the lore is inconsistent in that part.
The Story part of the Athena says that she is one of only three original Jupiters that survived.
While the Part of the Atlantia says she was decommissioned 20 years after the war.
And the Prometheus was still in use as a fleet-training ship till the fall.
But one could argue that the Atlantia is not part of the original flight of jupiters, because she and the Rycon where constructed later as command vessels.

Ghawkins
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Ghawkins » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:14 pm

BossDos wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:34 pm
But one could argue
Actually, I'm afraid I can argue most of this.

The only names for the twelve Jupiters constructed for the Articles of Colonization that are confirmed are Galactica, Athena and now after Sin and Sacrifice, Demeter. It is possible that Columbia and Archeron (even though I hate to acknowledge anything from Blood and Chrome) are of the original twelve, however this is never confirmed anywhere.

All other names for all other Jupiters are either taken from the 70's series, are fan fiction or come from related fiction whose status as canon is dubious at best (examples being the comics).
The aforementioned post is made in accordance with the canon where the Valkyrie-class is a modern battlestar which has no place in the first Cylon War timeline. So say we all.

BossDos

Post by BossDos » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:25 am

One can argue with most of BSG Content.
We definitely know that there were Battlestars called Atlantia, Triton, and Solaria. Which we know from the Reboot because Admiral Nagala took command of the Atlantia for the counterattack, in which all three vessels got destroyed.
With the knowledge of naval history, and that ship names often get reused, we could assume that at least one ship, the Atlantia was also once a name for a Jupiter. With knowledge from the original canon, we know, all three could be.
The Rycon is also pretty much canon and the Columbia and Archeron, despise arguably B&C Content, should be.

So we got a good foundation knowledge, but yes with all the fanfiction, the comics, and the not so canonical books, one could argue still.
But for myself, I don't think it matters that much. We don't know what ships were the original twelve and we don't need to, because so every player has the freedom to name his ships like he wants to.
I for myself name my ships after figures from legends and mythology, of either greek, roman or Norse origin.

JBerg2021

Post by JBerg2021 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:32 pm

I've seen all those names pop up elsewhere. The reason I'm directing this toward the developers is because this game is now primarily driving canon for the reimagined series. Though any number of Jupiters could have been built during the war, and any number of other classes as well, I wanted to hear whether there is a list of the original 12 now or if we'll see those names start to pop up in later "seasons" of the game.

Here's a list of those the game identifies. Tauron, Virgon, Leonis, Scorpia, and Lbran are all theoretically already built at the beginning of the war or added during the period of the first season campaign.
1 - Galactica [Caprica]
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 - Athena [Picon] (Even though Athena is the patron god of Libran, according to the star chart that floats around online)
6 -
7 -
8 - Demeter [Aerilon]
9 - ********** [Canceron] (The first mission of Sin and Sacrifice state that this will be delivered next)
10/11/12 - [Gemenon/Sagittaron/Aquaria] (The first mission of Sin and Sacrifice states that these may be cancelled)

I also don't intend to consider the Jupiter-Class available at the start of the S&S campaigns to be one of those built for the colonies, because the names change depending on the difficulty level (more consistency here would have been nice).

Ghawkins

Post by Ghawkins » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:00 pm

BossDos wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:25 am
One can argue with most of BSG Content.
We definitely know that there were Battlestars called Atlantia, Triton, and Solaria. Which we know from the Reboot because Admiral Nagala took command of the Atlantia for the counterattack, in which all three vessels got destroyed.
With the knowledge of naval history, and that ship names often get reused, we could assume that at least one ship, the Atlantia was also once a name for a Jupiter. With knowledge from the original canon, we know, all three could be.
I'm not saying that you're not making sense. I myself have at one point discussed most of these points on the Discord with other people. But the main problem is, there's too many unknowns for anything to be certain, we can't just assume that Colonial naval history mimics ours when it's not directly stated; We don't know Colonial naming conventions. It's probable that they don't name classes for lead ships, otherwise the first ship wouldn't have been Galactica, but it would've been Jupiter. But then again, we don't know whether the prototype or something for the Jupiter class was named Jupiter and never commissioned, thus making Galactica the first ship.

It is indeed true that we know that during the fall, there were the battlestars Atlantia, Triton, Solaria and Columbia. Of this one, only Columbia has been confirmed to be re-used. It's entirely possible that at one point there was already an Atlantia, but an equal chance is there that there was not. We simply don't know. For this reason, I put my question marks with Columbia and Archeron being included in the list of the original twelve. It's possible both were part of it, it's also possible that they were constructed after the delivery of the original twelve and the possible destruction of some of those.

As much as I know one person would love for it to be canon, for the same reason Rycon isn't confirmed as being so. Rycon was indeed part of the 70's show, but the 2003 reboot (and thus the Deadlock game) is not connected with that canon or timeline. Only what is confirmed to have been salvaged and adjusted for the reboot, is to be considered. Rycon is not part of that (I can hear Lackwit crying at the moment, it's his favourite battlestar).
The aforementioned post is made in accordance with the canon where the Valkyrie-class is a modern battlestar which has no place in the first Cylon War timeline. So say we all.

Return to “Battlestar Galactica Deadlock”