Early Mykenaeans v Hittites

Forum for anyone to post reports of their battles and pictures, otherwise known as After Action Reports.

Moderators: hammy, philqw78, terrys, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Early Mykenaeans v Hittites

Post by dave_r »

A game at the club using v3. Early Mykeneaens v Hittites, Early Mykenaean roster was (using softer than beagles with points updated):

IC, TC
3x4 Heavy Chariots, Superior, Drilled, Light Spear
6x9 2/3 Heavy Foot, Average, Protected, Drilled, Defensive Spear, 1/3 Light Foot, Average, Bow
2x6 Medium Foot, Average, Unprotected, Undrilled, Bow
1x6 Light Foot Average Sling

Hittites was (I think) a mob of four heavy chariots (superior, drilled, light spear), two light chariots (superior Bow) and a mass of infantry, 1x12 Gasgans (Protected Impact Foot Swordsmen) then 3x6 of hittite infantry - protected, Light Spear Swordsmen. Plus the obligatory 1x8 poor LF sling. 4xTC.

Wasn't really any terrain to feature as neither side really wanted any.

Mykenaean right wing:

Centre

Left Wing

My plan was to wander forward and swamp the middle, I needed the chariots to take out the Gasgans as they scared my foot a bit, the foot wanted to get within charge range of the hittite chariots as I would have an advantage at impact, plus more dice with the rear rank shooting.

The Mykenaeans advance!

On the right wing, things were going perfectly to plan as my Heavy Chariots charged the gasgans and also one BG of hittite infantry.

I disrupted the Gasgans at impact and took a base of them.

Further to the right I decided that as one of my chariots was needed to take care of the Hittite foot, this left my other BG somewhat outnumbered, so I charged a BG of Heavy Chariots and a BG of Light Chariots. This went fairly well as after the impact and melee, the Hittite Heavy Chariots were disrupted and the Light Chariots were fragmented. Although I had lost a base of chariots.

On the left, things weren't quite so auspicious. I put my IC with the third unit of Heavy Chariots to stop them charging two BG's of Hittite Heavy Chariots. Needless to say, they failed that test... So charged in. The ensuing melee took about five turns to sort out though, with the Mykeneaen Chariots eventually being wiped out. This put the Heavy Foot in a sticky situation, They had been charged by the heavy chariots and repulsed them once. Having discovered that a BG of spearmen that contains light foot cannot form orb I couldn't really think of any way of surviving. But the heavy chariots charge in any case, I won the impact, which disrupted the chariots and they also lost a base. Things didn't go quite so well in the melee as I disrupted. Which meant the chariots didn't break off.

This enabled the light chariots to get behind my flank after the destruction of the Mykenaean heavy chariots.

I solved the whole problem by beating the Hittite Chariots 3-1 in the next melee phase, causing them to double drop and break :). I also killed the general. After the pursuit, this helpfully put me out of range of the chariots...

Meanwhile on the right, the Gasgans fragmented in the melee, which prompted my spearmen to charge them. Despite being at double minus at impact against the Gasgans and minus against the Hittite spearmen I drew the impact. The Gasgans then broke in melee with the pressure from the chariots and the spearmen. An unfortunate roll for the steady hittite spearmen saw them double drop as a result and I also killed a general in the pursuit.

This caused a general panic in the hittite line and the whole centre crumbled having no generals and being double overlapped.

On the right, the Hittite chariots had bolstered to steady and were giving my chariots a bit of a pasting, my chariots broke in the last turn of the game as the hittite army collapsed

Last edited by dave_r on Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evaluator of Supremacy
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Early Mykenaeans v Hittites

Post by nikgaukroger »

You need to stop using Photobucket and use something else if you want images to appear.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 »

ARRs without images of dave_r are acceptable...
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

nikgaukroger wrote:You need to stop using Photobucket and use something else if you want images to appear.
Like what?
Evaluator of Supremacy
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

Imgur works fine with the Slitherine forums. Its what I use now.
Nik Gaukroger

shadowdragon
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by shadowdragon »

Flickr also works.
berthier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by berthier »

I post all of pics to my blog and just link the post.
Christopher Anders
2023-2024 GCC Coordinator
http://bloodsandsteel.blogspot.com
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

berthier wrote:I post all of pics to my blog and just link the post.
Haven't got a blog! I do now have an account with Imgur though :)
Evaluator of Supremacy
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

Looks good :D
Nik Gaukroger

timmy1

Post by timmy1 »

I find myself agreeing with Nik...
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

All painting done by Mr Hutchby. I really like how the Mykenaeans have turned out. Dave has done a fine job.
Evaluator of Supremacy

Return to “Field of Glory AAR's”