Late Republican Romans vs Numidians report...

Forum for anyone to post reports of their battles and pictures, otherwise known as After Action Reports.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

smaul1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Late Republican Romans vs Numidians report...

Post by smaul1 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:12 pm

Had some fun last night as we learn to play FOG, and wanted to contribute something to the forums, like so many of you guys always do. This is through turn 5, and as we play more, Ill update the story if it pleases anyone.

thanks everyone on the forums for your support as we learn the game, great community of gamers on here.

smaul1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by smaul1 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:14 pm

The Roman commander looked out across the Numidian Steppes and pondered how he had ended up on this gods forsaken part of the world. He was new to command of such a large and formidable force, but he inspired his men none the less.

Tacitus was sent here to crush the Numidians not subject to Roman rule, and so far things were not going as planned. He was given a powerful force to go out and for the gods and glory crush the Numidians, but they seem to have other plans, and an army of their own.

Tacitus had seized the initiative, and after days of playing cat and mouse, somehow he ended up far more out in the open then he would have liked. With all the fast moving Numidian light horse formations he was hoping for some advantage in more favorable terrain. The endless rolling hills of the Steppe was not that terrain, at least not this patch. Other than rolling hills the only terrain that had any significance was two large patches of brush off to his left flank.

As Tacitus looked off to his far left he could see Troop Commander Justus, and the Numidian light horse and Gallic heavy cavalry allies he had ordered to form a battle line to deal with any enemy mounted they might encounter. Just to their right and next to the fortified camp was a Battle group of about 1500 slingers using an area of brush as cover.

To the right of the camp he lined up his best men. The dependable legionnaires, always reliable, but perhaps a little slow for the fast enemy lining up across from them. He had lined up three battle groups of Legionnaires and on their right flank in battle line a battle group of Illyrian foot with their deadly spears. He would command the main attack himself, it would be crucial and he could not leave that responsibility to anyone else.

Behind this main attack force he left one battle group of legionnaires with commander Elvorix as support of the main battle line, Elvorix would be able to keep them in pace with the front line.

On the far right and just behind the main line to keep the main force from getting hit in the flank he put another group of Numidian light horse allies. He hoped he would not regret putting the enemy of his enemy on his flanks, but with all the light horse across from him, he had little choice.
Surveying the enemy in more detail from his left to right he noticed a battle group of Light horse and a battle group of Spanish cavalry , and a battle group of Javelin men close by supporting them as well.

Looking straight out across the rolling ground in front of his main battle line of legionnaires, he noticed the elephants moving into line with two imitation legions. Those men could never perform as well as his superior legions, but the elephants could even that fight up a bit. The Numidian commander seemed to being deploying his middle with a 2nd line behind the first with two more imitation legions. The center of the Numidians was not as skilled, but with about 6000 heavy infantry and 50 elephants, it was plenty to deal with.

Finally as he glanced over to the far the Roman right, two large groups of Numidian light horse with more javelin men formed a battle line making the Numidian line large and imposing compared to the smaller but better armored and more skilled Romans.

“I thought I told Elvorix to make sure those Illyrian spears got in front of those elephants?” Tacitus barked at one of his aids. The aid hesitated awkwardly, “It’s a little late now” he growled as horns blasted and banners waved and the Numidian’s line lurched forward putting into motion the soon to follow carnage of the day.

The Numidian light horse on the Roman right was quick to move and Tacitus was amazed and a little caught off guard on how fast that battle line closed on his right flank. Over 3000 Numidian light horse didn’t seem so light as they thundered toward the 1000 Numidian allies he had positioned to delay any flank attacks. The rest of the Numidian line moved up in the center while on the Roman left 1500 Numidian light horse formed up with 500 Spanish Cavalry, perhaps in anticipation of crashing into their fellow traitorous tribesman and their Gallic allies.

In response and maybe hoping it was fate that put the spears too far to the right, Tacitus ordered the 2000 Illyrian spearmen on the far right of his battle line, to wheel to their right and line up with the light horse, and try and hold back the flank attack on his right. Meanwhile he ordered his 3000 Heavy infantry forward with another 1000 in rear support with Commander Elvorix. On the Roman left Commander Justus stayed patient and didn’t move the light horse, and cavalry as he waited to see what the Numidians had planned.

The Enemy continued to close with his light horse on the Roman right; they caused a few minor casualties with javelins thrown at the spearmen, but nothing of notice. The other group of light horse broke off and started to close on the smaller Roman group of only 1000 Numidian allies. Meanwhile the Numidian center made some complex maneuvers and was now advancing directly toward the Roman Center. On Roman far left the Numidian light horse, and cavalry had moved through the Javelin men skirmishers and continued to lightly pressure the Roman left, neither side completely committed to that side yet.

Tacitus was pleased that Elvorix moved over to the spearmen and got them in position to hold off half the light horse, but was still concerned at the speed of the other 1500 enemy horses bearing down on his far right flank. He ordered the 1000 legionnaires in the reserve to turn to their right and start to form in case the Numidians broke through the line. The main Roman line of 3000 heavy infantry continued to push forward, having to trust that the men on the flanks would do their job. Justus moved forward on the Roman left with his light horse and heavy cavalry, to keep the Numidian right flank honest. So far the slingers stayed close to the camp in the brush not wanting to venture out with all the mounted troops moving around on the Roman center-left.

On the Roman left flank the light horse and cavalry continued to lightly pressure the Romans, and the Elephants and imitation legions continued to move to meet Tacitus’ legions in the center. Commander Tacitus watched to his rear-right and could swear that for an instance as the 1500 Numidian light horse continued to sweep around there was almost a silence to the world before they wheeled and smashed into his 1000 Numidian allies. Commander Elvorix had quickly seen the possible move moments before and trusting the Illyrian spearman could manage to hold off half of the 3000 light horse, he had broken off to help bolster the Roman light horse on the far right. Tacitus could see Elvorix with his personal body guard arrive at the moment of impact. Up until now there were only a few missile attacks and large dust clouds as large bodies of men were put into position, but now there would be no turning back. 1500 enemy light horse crashed into the 1000 Roman light horse. The Roman troops seemed to buckle under the pressure and ¼ of their number seem to fall or scatter under the impact, but Elvorix held the line and kept them steady as the impact spiraled into a chaotic melee. The storm following the impact continued to pressure the outnumbered Roman horse, Elvorix and his body guard rode hard into the maelstrom leading the Numidian horse and urging them to hold their ground. Tacitus watched, suddenly aware that he was holding his breath as he watched the light horse formation become disrupted but stubbornly hold the line. He watched with admiration as Elvorix lead from the front, wondering if the moment came for him would he throw himself without hesitation into harm’s way for gods and glory.

To be continued………

smaul1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by smaul1 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:16 pm

this was through turn 5, and for the combat of the light horse it was 6 stands vs 4, on the impact it was 3 vs 3 and the roman numidians scored 1 hit to the 4 by the numidians.

I lost a stand on the death roll so on the melee it was 3 vs all 6 numidian LH.

he again scored 4 hits on me and I scored 2 on him. I made my deathroll but failed my cohesion test and went disrupted, we will continue our battle as time permits without work and family stuff.

any questions or comments please feel fee.

mbsparta
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by mbsparta » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:01 am

A huge roman mistake; They sent a historian to command an army. :)

Enjoying the battle ...

Mike B

smaul1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by smaul1 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:35 am

I have some pictures but the only way to put a picture on here is a link correct?

any thoughts on where to host pictures Im all ears, I have a Facebook account with some on there, but I think the only way to view that is if both parties have an account etc.., and that doesnt seem to be very practical.

steve

timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:40 am

Steve, see thread viewtopic.php?t=4600

I have never used it but Hammy is usually very good at both techie stuff and explaining it quite simply. I have seen AARs here with Photos.

smaul1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by smaul1 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:47 pm

Thanks, I will check into that, I always like pictures when I read a report, at least a few.

smaul1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by smaul1 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:16 pm

well life got pretty busy with work etc.. so I didnt get to finish it like I wanted to, but not wanting to leave it half done, at least you can see the final results.

The Illyrian spears charged the light horse driving them off, the Illyrians’ seemed like they might catch them from behind as they moved very fast, but the LH didn’t let up at a normal distance and seem to have wings on their heels as well. The two battle groups of light horse continued to melee on the right flank, Tacitus watched as the Roman’s fragmented, he cringed and prayed to his god’s that Elvorix would hold that flank but it was starting to look grim. 1500 slingers charged out of the brush toward the Numidian cavalry, hurling their stones with no real lasting effect, but harassing them none the less. The Roman left flank continued to maneuver to try and close with the Numidians hoping to lock up the flank and buy the center time to reach the Numidian center. The Main attack force in the center continued to move up; Tacitus thought it felt like ages to cross the ground as he looked to his right hoping that flank would hold. Feeling the center was stable he and his body guard run to the rear right to bring up the lagging legionnaires that have turned to the right in case the Numidian allies fail to hold.

The slingers ran back as 1000 cavalrymen wheeled toward them, the slingers did no real damage, but did their job and distracted the cavalry off the Roman left flank, leaving the 1500 Numidian light horse to deal with other 1000 Numidian light horse and 1000 Gallic cavalry bearing down on them. As the slingers ran way back into the brush, the Numidian light horse got up the courage to charge the roman light horse allies and the heavy cavalry on the left flank, the impact scattered some of the Roman allies but did nothing to the heavy cavalry. Suddenly under orders the 50 elephants and 1500 imitations legionnaires charge forward into the battle line of the Roman center and the three battle groups of 3000 legionnaires. Both the Elephants and the imitation legion battle groups disrupt as the teeth of the roman army starts to tear and rip into them. The rest of the imitation legions continue to come up to support the elephants and an imitation legion, and the light horse on the far Roman right, moves away to go deeper around and behind the roman right flank.

The Illyrian spear on the far right formed an orb formation being surrounded by light horse and Light foot in all directions, not wanting to give anyone a juicy flank to charge into. The slingers come out the brush again, feeling confident that they could run back into the cover. They harass the cavalry but do no serious damage. The Roman light horse allies on the far right route and Elvorix in desperation to keep them from fleeing routes of the board with them. Things are going a bit better for Tacitus on the left. The Numidian allies try and hold to support the heavy cavalry slowly chewing up Numidian light horse that would now like to desperately get away.

The Numidian cavalry continued to move up to the brush to hold the slingers off, while some LF javelins came up behind them to help deal with the pests. The elephants hold but the imitations legion in the middle breaks and disintegrates as it rushes of in all directions. Both Roman Legions pursue…As the two final imitation legions move up to try and hold the Numidian center. The Numidians on the roman right start to gather for their next objective, yet to be known. LF on the Roman right move up and throw Javelins into the ranks of the spearman with no real effect, as the spearman hold on and hope for the situation to change soon. The Roman Numidians on the Roman left even with the help of the heavy cav cannot hold and route away, but the Numidian LH cannot follow up as it is locked in its only battle with the heavy cav and now disrupted as well.
The Roman LH on the Left continue to flee off the table but the Heavy Cavalry route the Numidian LH on the left and pursue driving deep in the Numidians rear left flank and an open line to the unfortified camp. Two of the legions in the middles, the left and right wing both get disrupted and Tacitus breaks away from the legion far in the back that he was helping to push to the right flank toward the LH and rides as fast as he can back to his wavering middle of the line.

In the end game the Imitation Legion and elephants crushed my single legion, pursued it and destroyed the final 2 stands as both BG’s hit the rear of the Legion. I was able to pin down the Numidian LH on my flank pretty well. I charged with my slingers vs. the Javelinmen, and they Fragmented in one turn, and the two other imitation legions out diced my two legions and one of those broke as well so I my Roman army reached the breaking point and it was game over.

I thought once I locked horns in the center I had a chance, but I actually did better on the flanks than I did in the middle, a very fun first game. One thing I have learned is not to spread out the time I take to do the AAR because as I get older my memory is not so good. In the future I think I will go with less text and go with images and let them tell the story. :) So my apology for any of you reading this and the “wrap up” at the end.

Return to “Field of Glory AAR's”