My tale of woe is better than your tale of woe

Forum for anyone to post reports of their battles and pictures, otherwise known as After Action Reports.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

stenic
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

My tale of woe is better than your tale of woe

Post by stenic » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:35 am

My fastest 800ap game of FOG. Ever. Even faster than 650ap at Expo.

So My Tupi line up vs the Dialami. I have significant numbers but on BG number we are the same.

He has initiative and picks agricultural. Terrain ends up favourable to the Dialami but not massively, and in the end it was over before the terrain became relevant.

I advance both wings looking to hem the enemy in. He advanced and pushed his right up fast. My shooting gained nothing needing 5&6s and at least 3 hits (8man Dialami BGs).

We both continued to advance and he charged home. My 2* 6base BGs of LF both evaded through my MF. I had 2*8base BGs that were hit but I had managed to split his 8base Dialami so it shared its attack against both my BGs. He also charged with some lancer cavalry, hitting one of the MF BGs and stepped forward to a third.

And here it all went very wrong for me. My BG hit by the stepped forward cavalry drew so was fine, but the two hit by the dialami both lost and dropped a level in impact. That’s expected, he was Sup and +ve with TC in combat.

In melee we’d be evens and I could hold with numbers and normally trash his cavalry. But no, I lost both MF melees too. I failed CTs and double dropped with 1 BG to broken and single dropped to frag’d with the other. The broken routed through the LF that were behind (having evaded there after the first charge and of course still facing the wrong way as I’d not moved yet). The Frag’d one then rolled for seeing friends break and broke too, then also crashing through LF behind them. His VMD rolls normal and hits the 2 BGs of LF in the rear dropping them both and setting up impact next go.

My BG fighting his stepped forward cavalry can only draw with him again despite me having officer and 6dice vs 4 on evens. He has however done 3 hits on me so rolls for general kill, and score double 6. I roll CT for general loss, double 1. So my 3rd MF BG drops to frag’d.

At the end of the first turn of combat I’m 5ap down and have 2 disrupted LF BGs fighting fired up Dialami.

So my turn, we fight the impact. I obviously lose with the LF and both drop to frag’d. In the melee they both break and route, back through the MF that just burst through them before. My left wing is a mess of 4 routing BGs.

His turn and he charges Elephants into my frag’d BG. By a miracle I stay put and we fight impact… I lose and roll for CT. It would have been a double drop as I rolled very low but being akready frag'd it makes no differance, I break.

So, 2 impacts and 1 melee and I’m 10ap down, needing 11 to lose army. At this point I accepted the inevitable and resigned. The 2 main army LF BGs had no leader in sight and although I could have rallied 1 of the allied MF BGs up a level back to frag’d the dialami were coming. My centre was in a position to be rolled up by his cavalry and elephants while the rest of his army could sit and watch so it seemed fruitless to pursue the game.

I took in the region of 15 CTs and passed 2, the ones required for the LF when they saw the MF break, every other one failed including 3 double drop rolls. I'll not even mention how few hits I actually achieved!

So my tale of woe is better than your tale of woe.

Steve P

grahambriggs
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by grahambriggs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:22 am

Your LF could have evaded again from the Dailami MF. Of course they've then go through the MF, who'd then burst through again to frag them...

I suspect with the Tupi you might be better off dropping the LF and using rear support vs impact foot. i found that allowed the Tupi to hold out long enough against my Aztecs to cause a problem.

I have in the past managed to lose all four of muy generals in 90 minutes. i actually scored more points without them than with them :)

stenic

Post by stenic » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:37 am

grahambriggs wrote:Your LF could have evaded again from the Dailami MF. Of course they've then go through the MF, who'd then burst through again to frag them...

I suspect with the Tupi you might be better off dropping the LF and using rear support vs impact foot. i found that allowed the Tupi to hold out long enough against my Aztecs to cause a problem.

I have in the past managed to lose all four of muy generals in 90 minutes. i actually scored more points without them than with them :)
The LF did evade, I forgot to mention it :oops: They both rolled low and failed to make it through the MF.

It was a seriously bad day!! :(

Yes, the LF aren't the best choice but I'd lose 2 BGs to gain an 8base BG and I've only got 11 to start with, so I'd be on 10. I could then change the 10base BGs to 8s but then ... etc... etc... I could have just hidden the LF or deployed more sensibly.

They've actually only lost twice in upmteen games that I've used them... but when they lose they lose big and quick.

shadowdragon
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by shadowdragon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:25 pm

Hmmm.... that is a tale of woe. You need to get better die/dies/dice/dices*. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enjoyable to read and easy to follow even without pictures.

* See ref: viewtopic.php?t=21267

grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:58 pm

stenic wrote: Yes, the LF aren't the best choice but I'd lose 2 BGs to gain an 8base BG and I've only got 11 to start with, so I'd be on 10. I could then change the 10base BGs to 8s but then ... etc... etc... I could have just hidden the LF or deployed more sensibly.

They've actually only lost twice in upmteen games that I've used them... but when they lose they lose big and quick.
The guy I played had something like 9-10 BGs all of the medium foot, mostly 10s. It sounds small but there were still 90+ bases, many fighting with generals and rear support. It was a close battle, where my massing of superior and elite impact foot just did the job before my flank collapsed

mbsparta
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by mbsparta » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:45 pm

Never ever give up. Your little warriors didn't give up on you, you gave up on them. :wink:

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:58 pm

I thought your tale of woe was far worse than any of mine
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

Return to “Field of Glory AAR's”