Composition of the new army lists

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Post Reply
sull51
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:29 am

Composition of the new army lists

Post by sull51 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:11 am

In the old game the number of army list in time period covered (up to 25 BC found in Rise of Rome and Immortal Fire ) is over a hundred.
The new version has 20+ less lists. Why the decline? Can you create and add customized army lists to the new game

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 19883
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Composition of the new army lists

Post by rbodleyscott » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:08 am

sull51 wrote:In the old game the number of army list in time period covered (up to 25 BC found in Rise of Rome and Immortal Fire ) is over a hundred.
The new version has 20+ less lists. Why the decline?


The initial release only covers the Rise of Rome period (280 BC - 25 BC). It does not cover the Immortal Fire period, although there are some armies in it that would have been in the original Immortal Fire expansion - e.g. Classical Indians.

I would be very surprised if FOG2 did not contain more lists than FOG1, for the equivalent period, because it covers some armies that FOG1 did not cover at all.
Can you create and add customized army lists to the new game
Yes
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

Hoplite1963
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:32 pm

Re: Composition of the new army lists

Post by Hoplite1963 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:37 am

Bit of a cheek I know and we have seen some of them in the screen shots, but any chance of a full rundown of the lists and list variants that will ship with the FOG II base game please ?

Kind regards
Ian

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 19883
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Composition of the new army lists

Post by rbodleyscott » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:58 am

Hoplite1963 wrote:Bit of a cheek I know and we have seen some of them in the screen shots, but any chance of a full rundown of the lists and list variants that will ship with the FOG II base game please ?
I will discuss this with Slitherine.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

Hoplite1963
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:32 pm

Re: Composition of the new army lists

Post by Hoplite1963 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:05 am

Thanks Richard. I think its worth remembering that FOG1 initially came with no army lists at all and only got 2 from the 2nd Punic Wars later on. From the look of it with the FOG2 base game we will be getting the equivalent of most of what came in the base FOG1 game and Rise Of Rome combined.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 19883
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Composition of the new army lists

Post by rbodleyscott » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:12 am

Hoplite1963 wrote:Thanks Richard. I think its worth remembering that FOG1 initially came with no army lists at all and only got 2 from the 2nd Punic Wars later on. From the look of it with the FOG2 base game we will be getting the equivalent of most of what came in the base FOG1 game and Rise Of Rome combined.
Yes, and some overlapping lists from Immortal Fire, Lost Scrolls and Legions Triumphant. i.e. The lists in the initial release are based on the period 280 BC to 25 BC from Britain to India, not based on the original Rise of Rome army list book and FOG1 expansion. There were several lists overlapping this period that were not included in the original "Rise of Rome" because Rome never encountered them during that era. Those lists are in the FOG2 base game.

So far 78 lists in all, in the initial release, including various lists for nations that as far as I know never had FOG1 lists at all e.g. Bithynians, Kappadokians, Atropatene, Georgians (Iberians/Colchians), Caucasians, Nabataean Arabs.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

Hoplite1963
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:32 pm

Re: Composition of the new army lists

Post by Hoplite1963 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:20 am

Just gets better and better :-)

grumblefish
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:46 pm

Re: Composition of the new army lists

Post by grumblefish » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:24 am

I saw there were 3 different Greek army lists, all starting in the 3rd century. Is there a particular army list for King Cleomenes III?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 19883
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Composition of the new army lists

Post by rbodleyscott » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:13 am

grumblefish wrote:I saw there were 3 different Greek army lists, all starting in the 3rd century. Is there a particular army list for King Cleomenes III?
Not specifically. He would use the Greek list applying to that period. We take the view that Sparta was very much in eclipse at this stage, and that its troops would not be better than, say, those in the Macedonian army.

Sparta will have its own separate lists when the game is extended to cover the period prior to 280 BC.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

Scutarii
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:28 am

Re: Composition of the new army lists

Post by Scutarii » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:39 am

Well, the original FOG release had more than 2 army lists but was a pay version... the FOG version with romans and cartago armies only appear later and was a free game... even with first version was a problem to apply the first 2 army packs that was solved when they leave the free base game + army packs system.

I am curious to see if army lists could offer like in old FOG more variants of same units... offering them in diferent qualities, the new army lists looks a little simple... and i miss the allies option in the army list.

Hoplite1963
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:32 pm

Re: Composition of the new army lists

Post by Hoplite1963 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:21 pm

Hopefully we will eventually get the equivalent of the Late Hellenistic Spartan list we had in FOG I including the late Spartan Pikemen. Be good at some point to do a remake of the Sellasia scenario I did for FOG I and also do 3rd Mantina 207BC, Spartan Pike Phalanx plus catapults verses the Achaen League. 

Hope we the game will come with fairly extensive documentation on the scenario editor as well?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 19883
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Composition of the new army lists

Post by rbodleyscott » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:43 am

Hoplite1963 wrote:Hopefully we will eventually get the equivalent of the Late Hellenistic Spartan list we had in FOG I including the late Spartan Pikemen. Be good at some point to do a remake of the Sellasia scenario I did for FOG I and also do 3rd Mantina 207BC, Spartan Pike Phalanx plus catapults verses the Achaen League.
This can already done from the later Hellenistic Greek list.
Hope we the game will come with fairly extensive documentation on the scenario editor as well?
Yes
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

Hoplite1963
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:32 pm

Re: Composition of the new army lists

Post by Hoplite1963 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:32 am

Thanks Richard. Does this mean that there is already a Spartan phalangite with their red lambda blazon on the shield in the unit graphics mix or will me have to wait for an “Immortal Fire” II equivalent expansion pack for this ?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 19883
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Composition of the new army lists

Post by rbodleyscott » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:14 pm

Hoplite1963 wrote:Thanks Richard. Does this mean that there is already a Spartan phalangite with their red lambda blazon on the shield in the unit graphics mix or will me have to wait for an “Immortal Fire” II equivalent expansion pack for this ?
There are hoplites with the Lambda shield but not phalangites.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

Post Reply

Return to “Field of Glory II”