How about implementing Multiplayer responding time rule?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
melm
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

How about implementing Multiplayer responding time rule?

Post by melm » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi all,
Is it possible to give the multiplayer game such rule that like each opponent should finish their turn in 5 min? It could be longer or shorter according to the game scale. I propose such rule since sometimes I just set aside my weekend afternoon to play and hope opponent will not play some turns and then no reply since then. I don't like to refresh the game reply windows from time to time to get my nerve but to finish the game within my comfortable time.

I'd like to hear others' opinions on this.

Cheers,

DD

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: How about implementing Multiplayer responding time rule?

Post by stockwellpete » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:42 pm

I would be opposed to any 5 minute rule or suchlike. I take ages over my moves at times, sometimes I will be quicker (usually when most of my army is dead!). I don't think it would be popular to introduce time pressures into the game in this way.

On a related issue, I am not sure how long the time period is before you can claim a match because the other player has not made a move. In FOG1 the time period was 30 days, which was far too long in my opinion. I would prefer the option to claim a game after 14 days if there has been no contact or explanation from an opponent. This would be particularly important in tournament play. If you have entered a tournament then get on with it is my attitude really.

XOPT13
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by XOPT13 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:49 pm

melm wrote:Hi all,
Is it possible to give the multiplayer game such rule that like each opponent should finish their turn in 5 min? It could be longer or shorter according to the game scale. I propose such rule since sometimes I just set aside my weekend afternoon to play and hope opponent will not play some turns and then no reply since then. I don't like to refresh the game reply windows from time to time to get my nerve but to finish the game within my comfortable time.
I'd like to hear others' opinions on this.
I am agree with this idea! This is blitz game!

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:18 am

I think there might be a misunderstanding of what the Slitherine PBEM++ system is. It is basically PBEM but with all the "pain in the butt stuff" handled by the server ( like saving, then zipping and attaching said files to an email, emailing to the player and then the reverse on the other end.) Not to mention the ability (and ease) to accept and issue challenges, instead of emailing someone you know if they want a game or need join a club or ladder.

I certainly would not want sit there waiting "live" with turn based game such as these, even if the option was available.

The best thing to do is to have as many games as you can handle/enjoy going at once, so you always have at least a few turns from your opponents when you sit down to play.

melm

Post by melm » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:14 am

The other suggestion is to setup the total time that could be spent by each side. From my knowledge, "Twilight Struggle" PC version has such option to setup a game. If one side runs out of time, he or she loses.

Return to “Field of Glory II”