Future of Field of Glory II

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Yggdrassil
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Future of Field of Glory II

Post by Yggdrassil »

As a big fan of the prevoius P&S and Sengoku Jidai games, I am very much looking forward to FOG II, it looks to be a major step forward for historical wargaming. I will be a firstday buyer and will probably sink a lot of hours into it.

Having said that, and being fully aware of how entitled this probably sounds, I cannot help but wonder....will there be future installments or unit packs of the Fields of Glory II franchise? Like the first FOG game, which eventually covered the entire spectrum from ancient to napoleonic.
Can we expect to see something like this with the second title? And if yes, what is the timeframe?

The thing is, personally I am a big late middle ages - Renaissance - Pike and shot buff. And I cannot wait to get my hands on a Pike and Shot version of FOG II.
(I am a bit jaded with P&S and SJ, having played both for hundreds of hours)
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Future of Field of Glory II

Post by rbodleyscott »

Certainly we intend to extend the game - but I cannot give you a timeframe.
Richard Bodley Scott

JaM2013
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by JaM2013 »

personally, i dream of Napoleonic Era Field of Glory game.. :)
Yggdrassil

Post by Yggdrassil »

rbodleyscott wrote:Certainly we intend to extend the game - but I cannot give you a timeframe.

OK, fair enough. All I can say to that is...hurry up and take my money! :lol:
Napoleonic would be interesting too, but all of these other periods have been really well covered by a multitude of games. early P&S era and Renaissance era is like the unwanted child of wargaming. Pike and Shot game and the AGEOD 30 Years war are the only games in recent memory that I can think of....
Scutarii

Post by Scutarii »

I am curious if you can do a pool with the options for DLCs (or army packs, as you prefer) and made players can vote.

In my case even when see covered the missing ancient armies is not bad at all i prefer game move more to medieval era to expand the army types... but even in medieval you could be more European-crusader orientated or more oriental... even very oriental :mrgreen:

I dont know if you plan release book by book or you are going to join 2 to made a bigger pack... 2 books of similar tematic armies or even mix them.
JaM2013

Post by JaM2013 »

Yggdrassil wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:Certainly we intend to extend the game - but I cannot give you a timeframe.

Napoleonic would be interesting too, but all of these other periods have been really well covered by a multitude of games. early P&S era and Renaissance era is like the unwanted child of wargaming. Pike and Shot game and the AGEOD 30 Years war are the only games in recent memory that I can think of....

Napoleonic wars have a bit different campaign requirements than Ancient Rome or Pike & Shot setting.. while Ancient battles were tend to be decisive(at least Roman wars were), P&S wars were indecisive and wars took decades to conclude. Napoleonic theme would require campaign game where speed of movement, supply and recon plays role over short period of time.. many campaigns were decided practically without battle, or battle itself just cemented the result ( Austerlitz campaign, specifically capturing Austrian army at Ulm by pure maneuver is perfect example of that)

But you are of course right, there are plenty of Napoleonic games out there, i just like the game mechanics of Field of Glory a lot, so would like to see a game focused on it. but right now im anxious for Roman Era, those two weeks cant pass quick enough :)
Adraeth
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Adraeth »

Talking about Napoleonic games i have to say:
worked at many, if not quite all, other napoleonic games out there (mostly heavy grognard based ones.... i won't quote titles here); in my opinion FOG2 campaign engine will be excellent to create a career feeling in every napoleonic army, starting from leading just a division to leading at least one big Army Corp.
Considering the Field of Glory napoleonic miniatures wargame i will tend to think about FOG2 "napoleonic version" just not for those massive battles like the overportaited "waterloo" or "borodino", but about divisions and corps; thanks to this the abstract campaign provided in FOG2 will be awesome to let the player feels he is achieving something with his units in a small theater of war, and it would be done thanks to an excellent battle engine that is the one of P&S and SJ and so FOG2 with a marvellous AI.

But ... i am just hoping .... by now i am happy... really happy about Rome and others (ohhh man wake me up when 11th of October ends :mrgreen: )
JaM2013

Post by JaM2013 »

Napoleonic game would actually require a bit different approach than Pike & Shot had, which was very melee centric warfare..Napoleonic charges were more about morale breaking, than actual close combat.. units should withdraw/give ground instead of entering melee, so instead of the clash, either defender or attacker would break off charge (based on actual unit morale)

At the other side, Napoleonic game would require ability to change formation for unit.. Battalions of infantry were able to form squares against cavalry, could form in columns for fast marches and would be deployed in lines to deliver musket fire.. this cannot be simulated by one unit formation for all.. but if properly used, would make game a lot more challenging, than what was in P&S where Tercios were practically immune to cavalry, so player had to use own infantry to break through - In Napoleonic times, large cavalry charges could easily break through infantry positions, forming squares took some time, so catching enemy unprepared was important.. at the other side, effect of artillery was a lot stronger, artillery practically decided the battles, was a lot more numerous than in 15-17.century, and had a lot better mobility..

So while i respect modders trying to make Napoleonic-themed mods for P&S Campaigns game, actual gameplay is not very accurate representation of Napoleonic warfare.
Adraeth

Post by Adraeth »

Some miniature based rulesets have an interesting approach in avoiding "formations", just leaving them "behind the curtains", i am thinking about Blucher by Sam mustafa
TDefender
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by TDefender »

Yggdrassil wrote:
Napoleonic would be interesting too, but all of these other periods have been really well covered by a multitude of games.
Not as tactical turn-based. Which is exactly what I'm longing for and you have consider that the only alternative are still the hps games.... enough said :(
JaM2013

Post by JaM2013 »

precisely... there are not that many tactical strategies from Napoleonic era, Histwar and Total War Napoleon, and very very old Imperial Glory being the only i remember... Yet first PC Field of Glory game was actually Napoleonic game back in 1993 if I remember correctly...

or actually, that one was called Fields of Glory :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fields_of_Glory
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

JaM2013 wrote:precisely... there are not that many tactical strategies from Napoleonic era, Histwar and Total War Napoleon, and very very old Imperial Glory being the only i remember... Yet first PC Field of Glory game was actually Napoleonic game back in 1993 if I remember correctly...

or actually, that one was called Fields of Glory :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fields_of_Glory
Which has no relation to the tabletop series.
76mm
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by 76mm »

I'd probably also be interested in a Napoleonic game, but right now mainly interested in ancients. Can you shed any more light on general plans for expansion of the ancients game? Will packs be similar to those in FOG I? Any ideas about lower and upper date ranges for the ultimate scope of the game (ie, 2,000 BC to 1,200 AD)? Any other tidbits?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

76mm wrote:I'd probably also be interested in a Napoleonic game, but right now mainly interested in ancients. Can you shed any more light on general plans for expansion of the ancients game? Will packs be similar to those in FOG I? Any ideas about lower and upper date ranges for the ultimate scope of the game (ie, 2,000 BC to 1,200 AD)? Any other tidbits?
Not really, plans are not finalised, and would be secret even if they were.
Richard Bodley Scott

Igorputski
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Igorputski »

JaM2013 wrote:personally, i dream of Napoleonic Era Field of Glory game.. :)
Not me; we've got too many of those era games already. Stick with ancients as long as possible. I want greek wars as well. Persian invasions and all that. Forget napoleonics and civilwar eras they got enough already.
Scutarii

Post by Scutarii »

Well, in land combat is true that nap era is relative well covered outside the WWII blackhole of wargaming... but for me lacks good naval wargames (expect Mare Nostrvm that even to be ancient period is good have "soon" a nap son hehehe) and even in land area i allways find ACW overepresented specially when in century XIX are a lot of wars to not covered in PC outside "Age of Rifles" scens.

Ancient period is even less represented but FOG open a lot the route in late years and expect FOGII continue doing it and not have the same fate of FOG that suffer a lot with the fail to change engine... but maybe this is the motive we have FOG II relative soon.

I understand that plans need be secret but is not less true that if you cant decide between 2 options why not ask players??? could be good move first army pack to a pre-base game era... but could be good to move it to post-base game era... even send it to medieval period... question is how big you want do army packs and whats going to be their price... between 9-20€... smaller give us more power decision in customization of FOG II, made things faster to release... but maybe could be less good in economic area... anyway i doubt a lot we cant see something that not made open our wallets to "have them all" :mrgreen:

4 days and we are going to have it in store... expect be at least the same superb experience that FOG was on his moment (today is still a good experience but is a game that stop evolution to much time ago and is a lot less that it could be).
Igorputski

Post by Igorputski »

Napoleonics would be sooooo very boring. Nothing but rifles and cannons. I like variety of weapons like swords and shields and spears and axes and arrows and rocks and many others. The ancient times were the best of times for wargaming imho. Everything else is pretty boring. Hiding behind trees, using planes to bomb a city to total destruction, boring.
Give me f2f infantry charges and rocks to the side of the head and a rain of arrows so that we may dine in the shade type battles any day.

Take as long as you need getting out of the ancient age. You'll get my money till then. :D
JaM2013

Post by JaM2013 »

except rifles were used very seldom by few specialized regiments, as majority of soldiers still used muskets, while cavalry role was quite important, as well as proper infantry formations for attack or defense as infantry was finally multipurpose. If anything, Napoleonic Era is tactically the richest battlefield in history, with various different types of infantry (grenadiers, fusiliers, chaseurs, voltiguers), cavalry(cuirassiers, dragoons, cheval-legers, hussars, cossacks), artillery (field artillery, horse artillery, grand batteries..), where proper maneuver can achieve you complete victory..
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

First expansion has to be an Immortal Fire style release taking in the Greek City States, Persians, Hittites etc ... ....PLEASE !!
Latro

Post by Latro »

devoncop wrote:First expansion has to be an Immortal Fire style release taking in the Greek City States, Persians, Hittites etc ... ....PLEASE !!
Seconded!

Return to “Field of Glory II”