Faction Units and Faction Names

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
lapdog666
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Faction Units and Faction Names

Post by lapdog666 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:34 pm

looking at various army rosters, either from Youtube videos or official army rosters it seems they are too small

examples:

1.Carthaginians have a unit called : "Light Javelinmen (Spanish or nudmidian)"
now why does it says "or" . are they numidian javelinmen or spanish ?

2.Romans have a unit called : " Italian Foot"
now, why not have specific italian foot soldiers like samnites or Bruttians or whatever, at least some of them , at least in the period before the end of 2nd punic war

3. Not sure about this , i did not actually manged to see macedonian phalanx in proper action but it seems they are all presented by 1 unit. i am not entirely sure on this subject, but how acceptable is that?

Naming of the Factions:
1.Why are antigonids called "macedonia" and Egypt "Ptolemies" , shouldnt both be called either by the rulling dynasty (imo best choice) or by the "country"
Pergamon could be Attalid Dynasty. Seleucids were called seleucids as far as i know or Seleukid Kingdom, same as Antigonid ,Ptolemaic Kingdom

2. Spanish faction sound very strange. is that name really appropriate for couple of or tens of tribes/factions in iberian peninsula

i am sure someone who knows far more than me about these things would have much more to say or suggest , but these are some basic things i came across

JaM2013
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Faction Units and Faction Names

Post by JaM2013 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:49 pm

yeah, i guess unit roster re-uses some standard units within factions.. i think this will be later adjusted by DLCs or would give modders open chance to create various faction specific units..I guess this approach was chosen to simplify the testing phase, as you dont need to worry about plethora of different light javelinmen, when difference is very small or practically just in the name of the unit itself..

I would also say some unit names are a bit questionable, like for example - "Imitation Legionaries" which were actually either later Thorakitai/Thureophoroi equipped in Roman Style (swords,javelins, spears), or actually former Roman Legionaries serving as mercenary troops for various kings.. Similarly, i would probably not call the unit Veteran Hastati/Principes, but instead would go with two different Hastati/Principes units, where former "Veteran" unit would be called "Consular Hastati/Principes" and would represent the best troops which signed each year to serve in two Consular armies - these men were hand-picked from all eligible for service, therefore represented the best men available. There was always just 4 Consular Legions, two for each consul. Any legion drafted on top of that, would go with men that were not picked to serve in Consular army, which kinda suggest their inferiority.. ( i might do this in my mod, if I decide to mod the Field of Glory2.. cant promise it though, as im occupied by different gaming project)

Searry
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Searry » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:11 pm

I think these are nitpicks.

JaM2013
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by JaM2013 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:30 pm

yeah, they maybe are.. but gamers playing these types of games are very often nitpickers.. myself included :D

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:35 pm

JaM2013 wrote:yeah, they maybe are.. but gamers playing these types of games are very often nitpickers.. myself included :D
That is why the game allows modding.
Richard Bodley Scott

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:36 pm

We used to differentiate them but it made little sense to have multiple entries of identical troop types. It made the lists unnecessarily long and hard to navigate. You're welcome to change it if you want but we have no plans to alter it :)

Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:37 pm

As with the “Early 17th Centaury” “Extra Nations” and “Wars Of The Roses” sets done for “Pike & Shot” perhaps we could see a user created “Rise Of Rome XL” mod set drawing on the expanded unit rosters in the “A...E...” mod for “A...T...W...” ?

Return to “Field of Glory II”