Battlelines?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Soter
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Battlelines?

Post by Soter »

Has FOG2 drifted back to the 6th edition fireworks display? All the battles on youtube seem to show both armies fracturing into individual maneuver elements on contact. There seems to be little incentive to maintain a line or even a phalanx
w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: Battlelines?

Post by w_michael »

There are close combat bonuses for having more than one attacking unit on an defending enemy unit. That works out to be a battle line incentive as far as I am concerned. If part of the battleline advances to engage a refused enemy flank then that makes sense. Perhaps you can provide an example of what you do not like.
Last edited by w_michael on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

With due respect to some you tubers who have been demo-ing the game they are evidently unfamiliar with both optimal tactics of the era and the FOG system of POA . I think many FOG players of only average experience would make short work of them....:-)
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

devoncop wrote:With due respect to some you tubers who have been demo-ing the game they are evidently unfamiliar with both optimal tactics of the era and the FOG system of POA . I think many FOG players of only average experience would make short work of them....:-)
I've seen bad reviews of Pike & Shot because the reviewer charged steady pike units with mounted units and lost. They complained that the game was too historical.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

It has been confirmed that such reviewers are also responsible for the "May contain nuts" health warnings that are now mandatory on packets of peanuts :-)
Searry
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Searry »

Many people do not seem to take the rules into account at all while they do stuff. Disregard the youtubers.

Return to “Field of Glory II”