How to play with horse archer nations?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Witan
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

How to play with horse archer nations?

Post by Witan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:08 pm

Hello,

I played some battles now and I really don't know how to have a chance with horse archer nations. I really like to play with horse archers, but how should it be possible to weaken a army with so low ammuniton?

I shot with like 5 horse archers on one unit, but no moral break happened... and my regular cavalery got destroyed.

Some advices would be really nice!

JaM2013
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: How to play with horse archer nations?

Post by JaM2013 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:12 pm

You need quite a lot of horse archers.. At Carrhae, Parthians had 8000 horse archers and just around 1000 cataphracts.. anyway best way how to learn how to play it, is by trying the opposite - play a campaign as Romans against Numidians (war against Jughurta) they usually deploy a lot of light javelin horse and AI seems to be using them quite well.. just observe what they are doing to you.. then use same approach with horse archers :) I guarantee you, you will instantly see those units as huge pain to deal with...
Last edited by JaM2013 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TDefender
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by TDefender » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:13 pm

I have noticed too that weaken unit status seems very difficult now and the "5-turn at full ammo" rule it's another thing that doesn't help to make yours light forces too useful .... :|

JaM2013

Post by JaM2013 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:15 pm

technically speaking even battle of Carrhae was not won during the clash, but after battle ended with Romans trying to withdraw.. horse archers combined with heavy cavalry were insanely effective at chasing down separated units and wiping them out..

jamespcrowley
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by jamespcrowley » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:24 pm

I've just completed a battle, Parthians v Romans; so pretty much all horse archers. Also had some Cataphracts and some medium infantry.

I managed to win by concentrating on the more vulnerable Roman units on the flanks with the horse archers, while gradually pulling back the cataphracts and mediums, pulling the heavier legionaries towards them.

Then moved all the cataphracts to the left to mix it up with a couple of the legionary cohorts. The mediums eventually got caught but put up a spirited fight and succeeded in keeping 5 enemy units distracted long enough for the cataphracts to rout the two cohorts.

Meanwhile the horse archers destroyed the Roman cavalry and javelin lights and a heavy artillery unit and that gave me just enough for a victory.

It can be done but you have to be patient and I can't claim that it was easy. Great fight though!

JorgenCAB
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by JorgenCAB » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:28 pm

Yes Carrhae can hardly be called a battle in the normal sense... the Roman army was destroyed during its march after the first day of being showered by arrows with little losses. The Romans simply misjudged the number of arrows the enemy had an withdrew in disorder.

The Romans learned from their mistakes and stoped being so passive and could defeat horse armies that way later on.

w_michael
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by w_michael » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:37 pm

I played an Autofill solitaire game last night (Gov. level) as Numidians vs. Romans and won. I'm not sure I could do it against a live opponent, but then they would have fewer Romans. You have to concentrate fire and not be afraid to flank/rear charge with the light horse, especially if the missile fire disrupts the enemy unit. You often win the impact and then the light horse withdraws from the combat. It takes a lot of time, and when you run out of ammo you have to just grind them down to autobreak level because you can't inflict enough damage for a cohesion test.
Last edited by w_michael on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns & Field of Glory II enthusiast

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:41 pm

JaM2013 wrote:You need quite a lot of horse archers.. At Carrhae, Parthians had 8000 horse archers and just around 1000 cataphracts..
And lots of camels with arrows for resupply :shock:

Perhaps horse archer armies should be allowed to buy them to buy extra rounds of shooting at full effect?
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk

Jagger2002

Post by Jagger2002 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:23 pm

And lots of camels with arrows for resupply :shock:
Yes, I was wondering about how arrow resupply was handled historically. I assume resupply was done.

Witan

Post by Witan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:34 pm

You need quite a lot of horse archers..
I has like 20 of them. I could only weaken 1 enemy roman unit through the entire game...
anyway best way how to learn how to play it, is by trying the opposite - play a campaign as Romans against Numidians (war against Jughurta) they usually deploy a lot of light javelin horse and AI seems to be using them quite well.. just observe what they are doing to you.. then use same approach with horse archers :) I guarantee you, you will instantly see those units as huge pain to deal with...
Normally, i would say, with this advice you are absolutely right, but in this case the AI was kind of very very bad. I played with romans vs parthians and the AI did nothing with most of the horse archers stying in the background till the end of battle. On the other side, the AI took all cataphracts and attacked my roman line forntal and lost everything. By the end, i won the game, without loosing anything at all.
I have noticed too that weaken unit status seems very difficult now and the "5-turn at full ammo" rule it's another thing that doesn't help to make yours light forces too useful .... :|
I am also thinking, that this is a real problem of the game. It is really difficult to weaken enemy units with arrows.
I managed to win by concentrating on the more vulnerable Roman units on the flanks with the horse archers
Maybe this is the only way to win with horse archer nations at this moment...
I played an Autofill solitaire game last night (Gov. level) as Numidians vs. Romans and won. I'm not sure I could do it against a live opponent, but then they would have fewer Romans. You have to concentrate fire and not be afraid to flank/rear charge with the light horse, especially if the missile fire disrupts the enemy unit. You often win the impact and then the light horse withdraws from the combat. It takes a lot of time, and when you run out of ammo you have to just grind them down to autobreak level because you can't inflict enough damage for a cohesion test.
Thank you for this advice, but i think that it is a bit easier to break morale of enemy units with javelins. Maybe it is only imagination, but for me it feels harder to waeken enemy units by arrows.

Return to “Field of Glory II”