roguedjack's AI overhaul mod

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Igorputski
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: roguedjack's AI overhaul mod

Post by Igorputski »

I played Pontic vs Smaratans. Was interesting battle but the numbers in green and red go down instead of up so I don't know how much of my force has routed vs the enemy force. They both got down to 0's and we both had 40% routed. Seemed like a back and forth battle as the Smaratans had a ton of cavalry and it was better than mine. I'm surprised I got equal amounts of routs since it was better than my infantry as well. I did notice the units in the rear not staying there and moving around to hit something on the flanks. That was a welcome site.

Looks like it could make legate much more fun to play now. :)_ It was starting to get too easy and the next difficulty up was just ridiculous numbers vs what I had.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Igorputski wrote:I played Pontic vs Smaratans. Was interesting battle but the numbers in green and red go down instead of up so I don't know how much of my force has routed vs the enemy force. They both got down to 0's and we both had 40% routed.
If you both had 40% routed, the red and green figures in brackets would be 0% because they are the difference between the two side's routing percentages. When the value is not 0, red indicates which side is losing, green which side is winning.
Richard Bodley Scott

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

roguedjack, I wrote this in another thread today about "pushbacks" and I was wondering whether you might be interested in incorporating these two ideas into your mod . . .

"I did raise this in the beta. I think a stronger unit should be able to push back a weaker unit up to a maximum of two squares in a continuous melee.

I also suggested that units could not be pushed back at all if they had steady friendly units either side of them and facing in exactly the same direction. I think this would reward players who organise their armies into coherent battle-lines."

Full discussion here . . .

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 77&t=80940

What do you think?
Igorputski

Post by Igorputski »

rbodleyscott wrote:
Igorputski wrote:I played Pontic vs Smaratans. Was interesting battle but the numbers in green and red go down instead of up so I don't know how much of my force has routed vs the enemy force. They both got down to 0's and we both had 40% routed.
If you both had 40% routed, the red and green figures in brackets would be 0% because they are the difference between the two side's routing percentages. When the value is not 0, red indicates which side is losing, green which side is winning.
Ahh so we would have had to fight it out to 60% then?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Igorputski wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:
Ahh so we would have had to fight it out to 60% then?
Yes. Unless enough units rallied to make it possible to get a 25% difference without reaching 60%.
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

stockwellpete wrote:roguedjack, I wrote this in another thread today about "pushbacks" and I was wondering whether you might be interested in incorporating these two ideas into your mod . . .

"I did raise this in the beta. I think a stronger unit should be able to push back a weaker unit up to a maximum of two squares in a continuous melee.

I also suggested that units could not be pushed back at all if they had steady friendly units either side of them and facing in exactly the same direction. I think this would reward players who organise their armies into coherent battle-lines."

Full discussion here . . .

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 77&t=80940

What do you think?
This isn't really anything to do with AI, so this is not really the place to bring it up. If roguejack starts modding non-AI scripts, it will increase the chance of his mod breaking when the game is updated.
Richard Bodley Scott

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

rbodleyscott wrote:This isn't really anything to do with AI, so this is not really the place to bring it up. If roguejack starts modding non-AI scripts, it will increase the chance of his mod breaking when the game is updated.
So could someone else mod it, or is it not possible? Sorry, I don't have a clue about modding and what you can, or cannot do.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

stockwellpete wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:This isn't really anything to do with AI, so this is not really the place to bring it up. If roguejack starts modding non-AI scripts, it will increase the chance of his mod breaking when the game is updated.
So could someone else mod it, or is it not possible? Sorry, I don't have a clue about modding and what you can, or cannot do.
It could certainly be modded. But if you wanted to also use Roguedjack's mod, it would have to be part of his mod. But then, as I say, it would make his mod harder to maintain in the future.

Also, it would be a step away from a generic AI mod, as there may be many people who want to use the AI mod, but don't want to alter the push-back rules.

At some point in the future (when the next DLC comes out) we should have global mods working on top of other custom folder mods - but they will only work correctly if they don't include mods to the same script. Thus, the less different scripts that roguejack alters, the more likely it is that that his mod will work with other mods.

So far he has been very careful not to alter the rules, only AI behaviour, so even aside from the script clash issue, I think it would be a step in the wrong direction if he started adding mods that did alter the game rules. It is certainly way off his original brief.
Richard Bodley Scott

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

rbodleyscott wrote:It could certainly be modded. But if you wanted to also use Roguedjack's mod, it would have to be part of his mod. But then, as I say, it would make his mod harder to maintain in the future.

Also, it would be a step away from a generic AI mod, as there may be many people who want to use the AI mod, but don't want to alter the push-back rules.

At some point in the future (when the next DLC comes out) we should have global mods working on top of other custom folder mods - but they will only work correctly if they don't include mods to the same script. Thus, the less different scripts that roguejack alters, the more likely it is that that his mod will work with other mods.

So far he has been very careful not to alter the rules, only AI behaviour, so even aside from the script clash issue, I think it would be a step in the wrong direction if he started adding mods that did alter the game rules.
OK, thanks for that explanation, Richard. :wink:
roguedjack
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by roguedjack »

I confirm what Richard said. This is purely an AI mod, I'm careful not to change the game rules, just the AI player decisions.
I'll look at your idea though, but just to give my opinion as a player.
"Rise Of AI" AI mod for Field Of Glory II
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=477&t=102040
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

roguedjack wrote:I'll look at your idea though, but just to give my opinion as a player.

Sorry, it is just me blundering about on the forum. :lol: I would be interested to hear your thoughts about it.
BornGinger
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BornGinger »

I haven't tried that mod yet, but judged by what people write it sure seems to be an interesting one. What are the chances that the developers change their original AI into something similar to this mod? If I'm not completely wrong it happens quite often that a good mod is the reason to why different developers of games make a new update.
Zardoz02
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Zardoz02 »

Will this work with Immortal Fire? I'm buying the DLC next spare evening so I guess I'll find out sooner or later...
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Zardoz02 wrote:Will this work with Immortal Fire?
Yes
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Version 1.01 of this mod is now available for in-game download. (Both versions - custom battles and sandbox campaigns)
RISE OF AI 1.01
by roguedjack
for FOG2 1.1.5

OVERVIEW
This is a minor update to upgrade to FOG2 1.1.5 and address a couple of issues from user feedback.
Compatible with Immortal Fire DLC.

CHANGES
MOD - Included all changes from FOG2 1.1.5 patch.
Keep in mind the following are AI changes, not game rules changes!
FIX - Fixed silly range test bug that made center lights team misjudge range from enemy shooters.
NEW - Fragmented units should not step into enemy charge/shooting range.
NEW - Units close to autobreak much less willing to charge in some circumstances.
MOD - Modified conditions in which non-lights decide to fallback vs shooters, less likely to happen (eg: Spartan spears will fallback less often when facing Persian Sparabara). Please note this has nothing to do with melee/charge fallbacks/evasions.
MOD - Increased effect of target terrain when evaluating a target.
Richard Bodley Scott

NikiforosFokas
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by NikiforosFokas »

Thanks for your work, again, rogeudjack.
For Byzantium!!
roguedjack

Post by roguedjack »

I recommend deleting the previous mod version before downloading the new one.
1.0 and 1.0.1 both appear to have the same name in the game interface which can cause confusion.
(The folders name for each version are different but their name ingame is the same)
I'll try to avoid the confusion for future versions.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

roguedjack wrote:I recommend deleting the previous mod version before downloading the new one.
1.0 and 1.0.1 both appear to have the same name in the game interface which can cause confusion.
(The folders name for each version are different but their name ingame is the same)
I'll try to avoid the confusion for future versions.
Aye, I only realised that the Text strings were the same after I had uploaded it all.
Richard Bodley Scott

mst007
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by mst007 »

How do I find and delete the previous one please? I excitedly downloaded the newer Rise of AI mod Before deleting the previous? Thanks for any assistance!
roguedjack

Post by roguedjack »

You can delete them ingame:

To delete the sandbox campaign:
- Click Campaigns
- Find the old version by clicking on it and looking at the description box below, it says "Version 1.0"
- Click Delete

To delete the custom battle:
- Click Battles
- Click Epic Battles (yes, not Custom Battles)
- Find the old version (same as explained above)
- Click Delete

Return to “Field of Glory II”