Getting the best out of Triarii?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
vj531
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Getting the best out of Triarii?

Post by vj531 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:28 am

I've been getting mixed results when using Triarii in battles.
I'm tending to use them in a more offensive role as 'heavy javelin' eg against Elephants although I believe they dont throw their weapon but instead they stab. This Triarii has a limited success rate against many other HF and MF units.
What is the best use of Triarii?
Im currently focusing on Rome vs Carthage in attempt to drill down it to the methods and tactics of the game.

pyrrhos
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Getting the best out of Triarii?

Post by pyrrhos » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:19 am

I play Carthage a lot against the Romans. The most annoying thing they can do to me is support their Cavalry against my cavalry superiority. Have them thrust their spears at Cavalry that are in melee with Roman Cavalry is deadly and they can protect your flanks on their own.

jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:49 pm

vj531 wrote:I've been getting mixed results when using Triarii in battles.
I'm tending to use them in a more offensive role as 'heavy javelin' eg against Elephants although I believe they dont throw their weapon but instead they stab. This Triarii has a limited success rate against many other HF and MF units.
What is the best use of Triarii?
Im currently focusing on Rome vs Carthage in attempt to drill down it to the methods and tactics of the game.
They are good but don’t have the numbers. They are to be used as reserves as in real life. They are used to perform a flank attack on a pinned unit or to plug in holes in the lines. They are sturdy enough to pin a unit too until help come along to finish off the enemy.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:50 pm

Excellent units. Cavalry-killers.

redrum68
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by redrum68 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:45 pm

I tend to use them to protect flanks or second level units to fill gaps. They do well vs cavalry and medium foot but unit size is too small to deal with most heavy foot toe-to-toe.

MikeC_81
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by MikeC_81 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:58 pm

They are really good as long as you don't put them in situations where they have to face off against a very large unit where combat strength modifiers rob them of their power. IE throwing them up against Hoplites would be a waste.

They are also outstanding for prolonged defense against powerful units. They are the only spear unit that will get +200 PoA. Their elite quality makes them exceedingly difficult to break in close combat. Even if you manage to flank and disrupt them, they have a propensity to pass cohesion recovery tests. Most of the time, I find I have to autobreak them to get them to run.
FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/

vj531
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by vj531 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:37 am

Thanks guys
This type of info is so helpful.......there will be further unit question to follow.

Hendricus
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Hendricus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:09 am

Triarii do not have throwing weapons, so their role as javelin throwing support for cavalry does have a stinky smell.
They are part of the Roman war machine. Trying to improve that is admirable but why repair a well greased lightning.
Romans form a first line of Velites, a second line of Hastati/Principes and a third line of Triarii. At the wings their consuls command the cavalry.
Triarii are together with the retreated Velites your reserve. They are used if a window of opportunity is opened or/and to plug holes.
They are not starting frontline troops, they are high quality troops in small units ( notice most Heavies have 8 or more figures, so 4 is less ). They are in the back to prevent them absorbing the first waves of javelins/arrows. So you get the best out of them in their traditional role. A reliable reserve of elite soldiers. Because the Romans face opponents with more and better cavalry they line up in depth. If enveloped by cavalry the Triarii can turn 180 degrees to keep Hastati/Principes safe.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:50 pm

Hendricus wrote:Triarii do not have throwing weapons, so their role as javelin throwing support for cavalry does have a stinky smell.
He said "thrust" not "throw". The triarii do not have throwing capability in the game.

Hendricus

Post by Hendricus » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:40 am

stockwellpete wrote:
Hendricus wrote:Triarii do not have throwing weapons, so their role as javelin throwing support for cavalry does have a stinky smell.
He said "thrust" not "throw". The triarii do not have throwing capability in the game.
I stand corrected, their thrusting ability is fabulous.

Return to “Field of Glory II”