Fog II and Pike and Shot II?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
w_michael
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: Fog II and Pike and Shot II?

Post by w_michael » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:49 am

A unit graphic change to FoG2 style would be a deal breaker for me. The P&S system as it is today is not so bad that I would change to graphics that I dislike (for this period). I believe that it would fragment supporters.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns & Field of Glory II enthusiast

Jagger2002
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Jagger2002 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:06 am

FOG II definitely has the tabletop look of the 4 to 12 to 20 figures for a formation. Yet if you asked a miniatures player if he would prefer that formation to be 12 figures or 600 figures and he would say 600 every time. The only reason he accepts 12 figures is because of money, time and space-(problems which go away with a computer). Otherwise he would have a one to one scale and 600 miniatures on the table for that one battalion. So I definitely prefer the P&S massed look of many men in a formation.

I do like FOG II gameplay but my internet computer struggles with the graphics to the point that I rarely play it. I guess I could get a new computer but my current computer performs nicely for everything that I need and every game I play...except FOG II. Unfortunately, I just can't justify buying another computer or expensive video card just to play FOG 2. When my old computer dies, then I can see playing FOG 2 more. So another reason for my preference of P&S.

Sedo
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Sedo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:29 pm

For what it's worth, I strongly prefer the Pike and Shot graphic style. If a theoretical P&S2 ever comes to fruition, I would support keeping the contemporary-style formation graphics, with additional "animations" to indicate unit states. i.e., pikes lowered to indicate a unit engaged in combat, pikes wavering and formations becoming ragged as units become disrupted and fragmented, routing units having lost their formation altogether. All of these aspects can be seen in contemporary battle engravings.

shawkhan2
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by shawkhan2 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:45 pm

One of my problems with P&S was that the flags/banners on the units were too confusing to my elderly eyes, too small and in contradictory colors as well. I much prefer the banners in FOGII.

GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:02 pm

If you get that Pike & shot game plus Sengoku and Fog2, you literally need to downgrade your job from full-time to part time with long holidays to be able to play all 3 of them. Hmmm that's actually an attractive idea.

CaptCarnage
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by CaptCarnage » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:46 pm

Pike and Shot graphics are cool, just a tad more animation would be nice. The battlefield in FOG2 is always in motion, you can see clearly which units are meleeing. It is just a bit more immersive like that. So lowering lances and rocking a bit back and forth would bring so much.

Is there any reason why FOG2 couldnt have a Pike and Shot DLC after a while?

w_michael

Post by w_michael » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:10 am

CaptCarnage wrote:Is there any reason why FOG2 couldnt have a Pike and Shot DLC after a while?
Yes, the 3-D graphics and animation. They are expensive to produce and a bottleneck to production.
Last edited by w_michael on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptCarnage

Post by CaptCarnage » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:34 am

w_michael wrote:
CaptCarnage wrote:Is there any reason why FOG2 couldnt have a Pike and Shot DLC after a while?
Yes, the 3-D graphics and animation. They are expensive to produce and a bottlenect to production.
So no real reason then as they have to make models for every DLC they gonna put out.
Cool I am excited!

Rosseau

Post by Rosseau » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:11 am

This is one sweet game. Sengoku was okay and played it out pretty quick. P&S will take longer, but FoG2 seems such a huge step forward, with so many nice little details added in. I hate to say graphics matter in a wargame, but they do increase immersion for me. Anyway, considering all the Steam "sales", the FoG2 DLC was one product I did not hesitate to pay full price for. Actually, couldn't believe it was available so quick and in such good condition. I guess the designers don't believe in vacations!

Lancier
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Lancier » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:18 am

I didnt investigate if there is a mod for P&S but sounds in FOGII is a revolution above all acc to me. Everytime i open P&S i have to turn off the sounds while playing but in FOGII it exactly motivates you. Especially some sounds when you lose a General for example or the screem "Aaaaa!". I dont even mention the sound when you lose the game lol. I always turn the volume up...They are great. 8)
PBeMer ✯ TWC Co-founder
https://thewargamingclub.online/

Adebar
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Adebar » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:19 am

Lancier wrote:I didnt investigate if there is a mod for P&S but sounds in FOGII is a revolution above all acc to me. Everytime i open P&S i have to turn off the sounds while playing but in FOGII it exactly motivates you.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 22&t=53331

:wink:

IC XC
NI KA

Bombax
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Bombax » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:30 am

w_michael wrote:
Yes, the 3-D graphics and animation. They are expensive to produce and a bottlenect to production.
Good!
The mass 'Hands Off Pike & Shot' campaign starts now!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lancier

Post by Lancier » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:33 am

wow, that changed a lot thanks!
Adebar wrote:
Lancier wrote:I didnt investigate if there is a mod for P&S but sounds in FOGII is a revolution above all acc to me. Everytime i open P&S i have to turn off the sounds while playing but in FOGII it exactly motivates you.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 22&t=53331

:wink:
PBeMer ✯ TWC Co-founder

Lancier

Post by Lancier » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:38 am

And a question about custpm battles of PnS and FOGII gents,

Seems both games dont have a turn limit? (or i couldnt reach ticking it lol)
Maps the same max 64x64 but even tho FOGII force point limit size is 2000 i again couldnt reach P&S 's force point limit when i was in say 21000?

PBeMer ✯ TWC Co-founder

Jabster
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Jabster » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:43 am

Got to say that I prefer the look of FoG II to P&S I think because it recreates better the look of table-top games that I used to play when I was younger. It’s the same with Conflict of Heroes ... the chit view for me all the way!

KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:28 am

w_michael wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:
w_michael wrote:I would like a rules update for Pike & Shot Campaigns (and I would be willing to pay for it), but I wouldn't want the unit graphics to change. The 3-D modelling in Field of Glory II is both a content bottleneck and economic constraint.
Which rules would you like updated?
I don't want ammo limits, so automatic fire is good.
Undo move.
Generals w/ command group move.
Turn and shoot (in one click).
Push backs & follow ups.
Pass through.
Right-mouse dragging to rotate map view.
1 = LOF, 2 = LOS, 3 = Command range
Brilliant, I totally agree with you w michael.
P&S graphics as great as they are.

w_michael

Post by w_michael » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:39 pm

I added the following to my list above:

Post-Battle Review button
Right-click to adjudicate existing melees
Red coloured floating casualty markers to indicate a lost combat
Remove the Player Side army list groupings (Pro-Imperialist/Anti-Imperialist) so that any army list can be matched against any other.
Player colour surround of national banners on units so that when Sienna vs. Florence you can tell one side's units from the other (both Italian 1494-1530 lists).

Throw in my wish list and more army lists and I would pay as much for P&S2 as I did for the original.

The Pike and Shot, and Senjoku Jidai, graphic look like a 2 or 5 mm miniatures table top game, while Field of Glory 2 looks like a 25 mm miniatures table top game.

Return to “Field of Glory II”