Anything To Encourage Aggression?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
redrum68
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Anything To Encourage Aggression?

Post by redrum68 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:47 am

At the end of the day, no one wants to play a game where 2 armies stare at each other even if that did happen in some instances in history. That is kind of the whole point of trying to add some mechanic to urge players to march towards each other and fight. Again, I think there are multiple ways to address this but this is maybe the biggest issue I have with the game in its current state.

GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:54 am

redrum68 wrote:At the end of the day, no one wants to play a game where 2 armies stare at each other even if that did happen in some instances in history. That is kind of the whole point of trying to add some mechanic to urge players to march towards each other and fight. Again, I think there are multiple ways to address this but this is maybe the biggest issue I have with the game in its current state.
Ya I'm in total agreement with you. Maybe there could be a map control score added in which can roughly calculate how far across the map each army has advanced. Somehow make controlling the ground scorable kind of like the Octagon control score used by the UFC. Might be hard to add though.

If both players advance to glorious battle, it's gonna be the most fun. Another solution is make friends with players that are fun-loving, aggressive type players and avoid the campers.

mst007
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by mst007 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:46 pm

Reading this thread is a bit of a wake up call. Am taking part in the Holiday Tournament, and have sat on my ass in 1 battle as I have perfect defensive ground. This thread has convinced me to have more fun with the Tourney and play to win through offensive moves instead of opponent attrition, even at the risk of losing. Thanks all.

MikeC_81
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by MikeC_81 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:08 am

mst007 wrote:Reading this thread is a bit of a wake up call. Am taking part in the Holiday Tournament, and have sat on my ass in 1 battle as I have perfect defensive ground. This thread has convinced me to have more fun with the Tourney and play to win through offensive moves instead of opponent attrition, even at the risk of losing. Thanks all.
There is no reason for this all or nothing attitude.

The goal is not to discourage the use of defensive ground if it is part of your strategy. Being passive, even with a large part of your army is, and should be, perfectly acceptable. If the opponent is willing to do battle on your terms then let him do so. Most of the time the position is not as impregnable as it may seem. Maybe your position wasn't nearly as good as you thought it was. Good players will quickly show you. Feel free to continue to use defensive terrain.

However, if your entire strategy depends on someone ramming your strong points and you have absolutely 0 gameplan if they refuse to do so other than to sit and do nothing, then I think its time to re-examine your own strategy and choices. Not out of any duty to the opposing player, but to prevent yourself from self inflicted harm on your own tournament experience and results when you both inevitably time out with bad scores.

edit: By the same token if you are faced with the passive player, the idea is not to just ram your guys into his with no thought, but to teach players to look at positions and determine weak points and how to attack them so as to punish excessively passive players or to force them to respond in some way and negating the strong terrain.
FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/

Return to “Field of Glory II”