Tides of Conquest campaign tool - new version with Bronze Age scenarios and icons out April 21 2023

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Re: Tides of Conquest campaign tool - new version out Feb 16 2020

Post by Nijis »

It should work for 1920 * 1080, as that's the resolution I use.

I did encounter the same problem as you when I used lower settings though.

I'll look into config options. In the meantime, here's a version set to 1920 x 1080, full screen. That might work instead. You might need to uninstall the previous version before it works though.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/yu9bblz1b ... 1.rar/file
desicat
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by desicat »

Downloaded this and it fixed all mouse issues I was having as well, thanks. Is there any way to start in Spain in the 300 BC Campaign?
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

For now, there's not any way to start at Spain in 300 BC. I've limited the provinces in which realms can start, to avoid overlap for multiplayer. I can expand the free start options for singleplayer, though.

You can take the Cantabrians in 100 BC, however.
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

Ok the mouse issues are fixed, but a few other problems/issues after playing around with this for a couple of hours.

1. I get a blank blue screen of death, the game locks up, if I click on the issues link - on the top right - at the beginning of the orders phase. I found it wisest to wait till that screen pops up rather go looking for it.

2. The game does not like to multitask. When I left the game either by alt-tab or taskbar, the game simply shut down and I lost whatever had been done since the previous save. Always save the game when you finish your turn but before you need to resolve battles.

That said, it seems like a really clever design with randomized starting elements so playing the same kingdom will not be the same each time around; greatly enhancing replay value.

Thanks for all the work and support of this very interesting program.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Glad it works!

By the blue screen of death, do you mean the "Your PC has encountered a problem and needs to stop"? If it's just blank, it may just be a screen that doesn't draw content. If that's the case, there should be a "Return" link in the upper middle.

I'll check up on multitasking via taskbar and alt-tab. I had always saved and quit, but that would be good to have as an option.

If one runs in windowed, then you can just minimize the window. In fullscreen you can use ctrl-alt-delete, but then it's not windowed.

UPDATE: Alt-tab and taskbar work in windowed mode. I will make it so that you can easily switch back and forth between windowed and fullscreen, and see if there's any suggestions to fix the crashing issue.
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

Blue screen is just the game screen. There is nothing visible but a blank blue screen, same color as the normal game screen background, so no links to click to escape.

Another reoccurring issue, if I happen to close my notebook with the game active, when I reopen it, and come out of sleep mode, I have a blank white screen overlaid on my desktop with the game name in the window bar at the top. Refreshing my display does not rid me of this ghost screen - the game itself isn't running. I have to restart my computer to fix this.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Blue game screen - got it. I'll make sure there are always return links.

I have the same issue with the white screen in fullscreen mode. I think one can ctrl-alt-del to close it though. I'll try to troubleshoot that through MonoGame.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

v 0.502 is up. You can toggle between fullscreen and windowed using "W" and between resolutions using "R"
(http://www.mediafire.com/file/hsfb530gk ... 2.rar/file)

You can also start in any province (say, Spain in 300 BC) if you skip the preselected options than right-click on the chosen province. Note that all realms must start in an urbanized province or adjacent to an existing realm.
desicat
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by desicat »

I appreciate the Spanish start, I will download and try - thank you!
mgardner
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by mgardner »

Thanks Nijis, the latest version + AAR prompted me to check out two great add-ons that I have known about for a while but never tried: your campaign tool + jomni’s Silk Road mod! Having a great time mixing it up in China with lists that are totally new to me. I appreciate your hard work on this and your willingness to share!
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Glad to hear that you're enjoying it! What period are you doing?
mgardner

Post by mgardner »

My first attempt is 700BC, I thought a single opponent in China would be a good introduction. On turn 2 a second Chinese rival appeared, and on turn 3 a Mongolian horde appeared, all within 2 spaces of my capital. “May you live in interesting times,” indeed. Good stuff.

I am trying to keep to the lists assigned although they are slightly anachronistic (my Zhou 1046-701 BC vs enemy Warring States 700-351 BC). Although our unit choices are similar, I am struggling against their mixed infantry which is flat out superior to mine (better armor and heavy weapons). During my first battle, I had chariot superiority and was able to turn their flank quickly enough to win. No such luck during battle 2. Now that I have a few more resources I will try an attack at lower difficulty level to compensate.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

The army lists can sometimes be a bit anachronistic. The one chosen depends on language, province, date, and whether or not its origin is tribal or not. I wasn't too rigid with the dates, as some lists need to cover states that didn't exist in history (ie, alt history Hellenistic kingdoms in Asia Minor after the historical dates of the Roman conquest) and also to add variety in the transitional periods. But feel free to adjust the lists a bit if they don't feel right.

Glad the times are interesting!
Doyley50
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Doyley50 »

I had been enjoying the campaign tool, but today I find that whenever I try to save my game it crashes to desktop. I have uninstalled and reinstalled but it doesn't help. Any ideas?
mgardner

Post by mgardner »

I had the same problem. If it can’t find the save directory, it will crash. It should show you what dir it is trying to use, try to manually create that (full path) in Windows Explorer.
Doyley50

Post by Doyley50 »

Thanks, I'm a bit of a computer illiterate, but I will have a bash.
olin0111
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by olin0111 »

Hi Nijis, could we get a version for 1366x768 resolution? I would like to try ToC but all I have at the moment is my laptop.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

The path to set up a save folder should be there, at the second line from the top of the opening screen. Sorry I couldn't figure out a way of doing it automatically. It does it in my computer (Windows 10) but perhaps not others.

I can try to do a 1366x768 resolution but it might take a while. I wrote it assuming at least 1600 x 900. I'd have to refactor quite a bit of the game to go any smaller. I hadn't considered a laptop - sorry about that!
olin0111

Post by olin0111 »

Nijis wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:58 am I can try to do a 1366x768 resolution but it might take a while. I wrote it assuming at least 1600 x 900. I'd have to refactor quite a bit of the game to go any smaller. I hadn't considered a laptop - sorry about that!
If you have time then great, if not I totally understand it especially if it's time consuming to rework everything. No pressure, really :) Cheers!
Kelte
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Kelte »

Hi, I've a problem with your program and I think that you can help me out, the problem happen with the save game, I push the button savegame, the game close himself, but when I reopen it there's no load button, how can I save and reload a game???

I've seen that the path for savegame folder is there, but the folder doesn't exist at all, so I've created one with a .txt file as required but even so it doesn't save a single game, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help

Return to “Field of Glory II”