Anti cheating system - mods

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
TheSkirmishLord
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Anti cheating system - mods

Post by TheSkirmishLord » Tue May 29, 2018 6:05 am

I read on some other posts that some players are concerned about cheating by using the task manager to stop a multiplayer game so it can be reloaded then replayed for hopefully better results. Although it seems to me to be a tiresome exercise, some may be so motivated to win that this would be a viable option. Richard's response was that an anti-cheating system was in place that, in his own words, works this way:

"
No, every time you "force-quit", and then reload the previous save, there will be one more download than upload.

1) Every time you start a turn or reload a save, there is a download.
2) Force quit.
3) Restart from saved position = another download.
4) Save or end turn - an upload.

Equals 2 downloads and 1 upload.
"

HOWEVER, there is a case with mods that will trigger a false positive on this system.

If Player A and Player B are playing a multiplayer game using a mod, they must both have that mod installed so one player can post the game that requires the mod and so the other player can accept the challenge.

Once the game is in progress, player A can access the game and make his move from a different PC that doesn't have that mod. When Player B goes to make his move, a warning comes up that there is a script mismatch with the game and suggests the user can abandon the game. If Player B ignores the warning, he can still enter his move and both players can continue the game to its completion. Most players would probably not abandon a game they were well into and playing with someone they were familiar with over a vague warning.

The problem is, I don't believe the system sees this as the same game and flags a download/upload mismatch. If player A makes his moves on the wrong computer two times, player B will have his account flagged.

I don't really think there's anything that can be done about it and the only reason I posted it was the buzz going on about cheating & account flagging.

This post is just a FYI about something I saw.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Anti cheating system - mods

Post by rbodleyscott » Tue May 29, 2018 7:21 am

TheSkirmishLord wrote:If Player A and Player B are playing a multiplayer game using a mod, they must both have that mod installed so one player can post the game that requires the mod and so the other player can accept the challenge.

Once the game is in progress, player A can access the game and make his move from a different PC that doesn't have that mod.
No he can't - he will get the missing custom campaign message.

You could, of course, mod the mod, but then you would get the scripts changed message. You should never get this message except when the game has just been patched (unless you are playing me in a beta and I accidentally use the wrong build to play my turn), so you should regard the message with high suspicion if it occurs at other times.

Our current policy for mods that are put up for in-game download is to change the name of the mod by adding the new version number when there is a new version, so the game won't let you inadvertently play a turn with the wrong version.
Richard Bodley Scott

TheSkirmishLord
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by TheSkirmishLord » Tue May 29, 2018 8:10 am

He can and he did. It isn't an in game downloaded mod. I'll send you a PM on it - I probably should have in the first place.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Tue May 29, 2018 8:17 am

TheSkirmishLord wrote:He can and he did.

Strange. I just tried it and it would not let me open a turn without the correct folder present on my system.
It isn't an in game downloaded mod.
That should not make any difference.
I'll send you a PM on it - I probably should have in the first place.
Which mod was it?
Richard Bodley Scott

TheSkirmishLord
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by TheSkirmishLord » Tue May 29, 2018 8:36 am

Thanks for the reply Richard - please check your pm

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2