Any chance for real new gameplay features (not just new units) in the future ?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Any chance for real new gameplay features (not just new units) in the future ?

Post by zakblood » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:02 pm

rbodleyscott wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:00 pm
Round about 90% of players playing only SP is what Slitherine tells me, from their previous research. It seems otherwise on the boards only because the MP players post more.
sounds about right to me, then again i've not played a single mp game and maybe never will, in this one or any other game made of the 3 sites / forums.

MVP7
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Re: Any chance for real new gameplay features (not just new units) in the future ?

Post by MVP7 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:47 pm

rbodleyscott wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:56 pm
The title of this thread has been bugging me for some time. I have edited my first post on the first page of the thread:
It is also worth noting that the title of this thread is misleading. We have introduced lots of "real new gameplay features" since the game was released. The fact that we choose to give these features away free to all (instead of locking them behind DLC purchases) ought to be a cause for a pat on the back, IMO, rather than being treated as if we have not added any new game features!
A mild vent, but I think it needed saying. If you give away all the new gameplay features for free, then of course the DLCs will only include new units, armies, battles and campaigns.
That reminds me, Wargamer.com published a guide about FoG2 DLC a week ago but it seems a bit confusing when it come to features "introduced" in each DLC. The guide gives an impression that the features and changes are locked behind the DLC rather than being part of the base game.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:51 pm

MVP7 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:47 pm
rbodleyscott wrote:
The title of this thread has been bugging me for some time. I have edited my first post on the first page of the thread:
It is also worth noting that the title of this thread is misleading. We have introduced lots of "real new gameplay features" since the game was released. The fact that we choose to give these features away free to all (instead of locking them behind DLC purchases) ought to be a cause for a pat on the back, IMO, rather than being treated as if we have not added any new game features!
A mild vent, but I think it needed saying. If you give away all the new gameplay features for free, then of course the DLCs will only include new units, armies, battles and campaigns.
That reminds me, Wargamer.com published a guide about FoG2 DLC a week ago but it seems a bit confusing when it come to features "introduced" in each DLC. The guide gives an impression that the features and changes are locked behind the DLC rather than being part of the base game.
Paradoxically that might even be a good thing, because the true system (of putting all gameplay changes in free patches, released alongside the DLCs, but not requiring DLC purchase) leads some people to complain that each DLC contains no new gameplay features. Go figure!
Richard Bodley Scott

SLancaster
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by SLancaster » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:38 pm

MVP7 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:27 pm
SLancaster wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:15 am
pipfromslitherine wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:06 pm

This isn't a feeling we have ;), it is based on sales vs the number of people playing MP games on the server. This was also true back in the days of RTS's like Dune or C&C. Even taking into account the rise in MP popularity the vast majority of players never play MP on any game.

Cheers

Pip
I take your point about there being many people who only play single player games. However, your research above is probably quite flawed if it looks at sales v people playing on the multiplayer mode. I only have to look at my six Steam friends who have Field of Glory 2. Three of them never play the game so they wouldn’t be playing multiplayer, anyway!
Those numbers are consistent with what I have heard of other strategy games. I don't see any factors that would make FoG2 different. Even if only half of the people who have purchased the game ever played it (which is unlikely estimate since it has never boomed on youtube/twitch or been on massive sale) that would still mean that 80% of the players only play single-player.
I think your figures might still be out. What we really need to clarify is regular play. People buy the game and play it for a few hours. They never play it again. Does that class them as single player only players? The stats become distorted.

The best way to do it would be to track sp games. Track total number of players and subtract tracked mp battles from that total. Do it every day for a month. I was talking about this with SMSDigital but he doubts that you can track sp play..

No, 80-90% seems well out to me. These kind of games always have a strong mp following in my experience..

ahuyton

Post by ahuyton » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:51 pm

rbodleyscott wrote:
Yes, we should acknowledge that FoG2 is remarkably well supported and developed thanks to RBS and his team.

While I am not against new features, personally I am more than happy with the game as it is. One can damage a good product by always seeking novelty. The main thing is to gradually have the new periods and lists accompanied by the careful tweaking that we have seen with each update.

Paul59
Major-General - Elite Tiger I
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Paul59 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:30 pm

SLancaster wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:38 pm
I think your figures might still be out. What we really need to clarify is regular play. People buy the game and play it for a few hours. They never play it again. Does that class them as single player only players? The stats become distorted.

The best way to do it would be to track sp games. Track total number of players and subtract tracked mp battles from that total. Do it every day for a month. I was talking about this with SMSDigital but he doubts that you can track sp play..

No, 80-90% seems well out to me. These kind of games always have a strong mp following in my experience..
It might be possible to track SP games for Steam players, but then lots of people don't use Steam, including me.

I really hope Slitherine cannot trace SP play, otherwise the age of Big Brother really has arrived!
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, and Wolves at the Gate.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.

Return to “Field of Glory II”