Grand Christmas 2018 FOG2 Tournament - Rise of Rome

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Daniele
Slitherine
Slitherine

Grand Christmas 2018 FOG2 Tournament - Rise of Rome

Post by Daniele »

The time has come!

After the great success of the Rise of Persia Tournament, another challenge awaits you: The Field of Glory II Grand Christmas Tournament!

In this Tournament, you’ll fight several battles marking different stages in the expansion of the Roman Republic, from its direct neighbours the Samnites, through Gallic, Punic and Macedonian Wars to the humbling of the mighty Seleucid Empire.

We expect a lot of fight so don’t be shy and prove your warrior’s skills!

Anyone who has Field of Glory II can enter. You do not need to own any DLCs to enter.

To enter, go to the tournament page here:

http://www.slitherine.com/tournaments/tournaments.asp

The general tournament rules can be found here:

http://www.slitherine.com/tournaments/r ... terStatus=

The first round will commence on Friday 30th November 2018 at 10.00 am GMT. No further entries can be accepted after the tournament has begun.

Specific tournament rules:

This tournament will involve five rounds. The battles will be medium-sized custom battles.
  • Round 1: 294 BC. Third Samnite War. Roman (340-281 BC) vs Samnite (355-272 BC). Mediterranean Hilly.
    Round 2: 283 BC. Roman-Gallic War. Roman (340-281 BC) vs Gallic (300-101 BC). Mediterranean Agricultural.
    Round 3: 255 BC. First Punic War. Roman (280-220 BC) vs Carthaginian (280-263 BC). Mediterranean Agricultural.
    Round 4: 197 BC. Second Macedonian War. Roman (199-106 BC) vs Macedonian (260-148 BC). Mediterranean Agricultural.
    Round 5: 190 BC. Syrian War. Roman (199-106 BC) vs Seleucid (205-167 BC). Mediterranean Agricultural.
Games are paired, so each matchup will be played both ways. Each player will be able to choose his forces using the normal force selection system. In each round, all players will be playing on the same randomly generated map for both games.

First round pairings will be selected randomly, subsequent rounds using the Swiss Chess system. Nobody will play the same opponent in more than one round.

The scoring system is as follows:

· If a game runs to the turn limit, each side scores points equal to the enemy % routed at the turn limit. If the game times out, adjustments may be made, depending on how far the game has progressed and who took longer over their turns – see below.

· If one army breaks, the victorious player scores 60 points plus the difference between the enemy % routed and his own % routed. The loser scores points equal to the winner's % routed.

Examples:

1) If Ben defeats Tamas's army, and has inflicted 45% routed on Tamas, and Tamas has inflicted 15% on Ben, Ben will score 60 + (45 – 15) = 90, Tamas will score 15.

2) However, if Ben defeated Tamas’s army by inflicting 62% routed on Tamas, and Tamas had inflicted 56% routed on Ben, Ben would get 60 + (62 – 56) = 66 points, and Tamas would get 56.

3) If the game is unfinished (or it reached the turn limit) with Ben inflicting 20% routed on Tamas, and Tamas inflicting 10% routed on Ben, Ben would score 20, and Tamas would score 10. (Provided that between them they have played at least 24 turns in all – see below).

Note that this system rewards aggressive play over desultory skirmishing. If you rout an enemy unit then hide for the rest of the game, both players will get extremely low scores - lower than if they played hard and lost.

Byes:

If an odd number of players sign up for the tournament, one player will get a bye in each round. In the first round this is random. In subsequent rounds it will be the player with the lowest score. The score for a BYE is 75 points for each game.

Round times and timing out:

Each round will last 14 days.

Any battles that are not completed by the end of the round will be timed out. The player who has had the game in his “My Turns” box the longest overall will be the one who is deemed to be timed out. This will not normally incur any penalties, unless insufficient turns have been played: If the timed-out player has played less than 12 turns, his score will be reduced proportionately, and his opponent will be granted the BYE score if it exceeds his current score. If the timed-out player has played less than 6 turns, he will not be included in the draw for the next round. This is to prevent someone else’s enjoyment being spoiled by being drawn against someone who has apparently dropped out of the tournament.
Barrold713
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Grand Christmas 2018 FOG2 Tournament - Rise of Rome

Post by Barrold713 »

I'm in!
General Shapur
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by General Shapur »

Its Round #3. If someone is winning with there Carthaginians I'd love to know what you did/are doing. I think this is the hardest task yet!
Previously - Pete AU (SSG)
klayeckles
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by klayeckles »

General Shapur wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:05 am Its Round #3. If someone is winning with there Carthaginians I'd love to know what you did/are doing. I think this is the hardest task yet!
i just got a decisive victory against a pretty standard roman advance (Put me in first place at the moment, and actually scored better than as the romans)...will share later after games are wrapping up. wouldn't want to spoil anyone's fun (i can PM you too if you send to me)
klayeckles

Post by klayeckles »

so folks have asked how carthage can win. here's a few thoughts on the subject.
In the digital league (if you aren't a member you should sign up for the next one...it allows some great competition against opponents of the same skill level), at the higher skill levels carthage is actually favored to win over the romans. Indeed Carthage has a better win/loss record than the romans by far...you can see the results in the digital league army performance tables. so how does carthage do it against an army that has better troops,that are very strong in the impact phase, more heavy troops, and potentially more skirmishers?

So although carthage is almost always going to lose in a head to head, it does have some advantages...
1) better and more cavalry. If used judiciously, the modest benefit of cavalry superiority can turn into a huge advantage. But don't squander them...if your cav are frontally attacking anything other than roman cav or skirmishers you'r probably on the wrong track...and i'd suggest not attacking roman cav frontally unless you outnumber him in the contest.
2) More med. foot....a lowly Phoenician MF can be king if it is in a building (or in this battle hiding in a swamp) if the roman is brash enough to try and attack your medium foot in rough terrain...fantastic, if he plays it safe...you can just sit there and wait--maybe staring down a veteran legion...a great way to cancel a roman atrocity troop.
3) light cav. these guys are often misused. they don't do well in frontal combat even against lowly slingers, and shoot poorly. but what if they charge a velite from the rear...and chase him into the face of your hoplites? or visa versa. they also can really cause problems if they charge a weakened HF from the flank or rear. even if you don't do much damage, you might cause the unit to do an about face...leaving the rear exposed to your front line.
4) offensive spears in melee. although they usually take a beating in the shock phase (and then when disrupted ALWAYS lose to legion swords)...these troops can cause real problems for legions is used properly. if they are on a hill or have a commander they are much more likely to survive the shock phase...and then dominate the melee.
5) numbers. outnumbering your opponent can be the most important asset in the game...but it means nothing if you don't get the full benefit of your numbers. more on this below...

So how to win with carthage?
Key number one...time is on your side. Hannibal must be patient. the last thing you want to do is run face first into the roman buzz saw. the more time you take the more time you have to do the following: beat or drive away his cav. beat or drive off his skirmishers. AND get into some good terrain with your MF. often terrain can serve to anchor a flank, and serve as a point to sally forth out of when the roman inevitably (we wish) becomes over extended. and finally spread yourself out. moving your flanks out and forward means you will get a strategic outflank on one or both flanks. If the roman pursues one of your flanks...thats ok...he can't catch you (because you defeated his cav...remember). where the roman is strongest is where you are definitely NOT going to fight him. if that means turning tail..then RUN AWAY! What does he do then? pursue and get deeper into your envelopment? Turn and pursue one of you flanks, which means you can attck his flanks by turning once again with your center...or your cavalry that has now encircled him.

on a good day the roman will be completely enveloped...because when he finally does make contact it is either against your MF in terrain, or you hoplites with generals and/or on a hill...and then everyone else comes in on all sides and flank attacks his committed outnumbered unsupported veteran legions. In my game before we even had contact with our core troops, i'd accumulated 20%...closing in on an automatic victory. I did this by using my skirmishers chase his velites to where i could flank them with LC or cav. and i outnumbered his cav and got flank attacks on them.

now that's not to say this is easy. a good roman player might do an oblique advance, and protect his support troops until late...etc. and it is critical that you get the timing down on the moves to avoid direct engagement with the roman core (nothing worse than turning about face too late and getting it up the backside)

in the tournament fight the swamp and rough was a safe haven for MF, and the hill on the carthage right was an objective for hoplites and warbands. some cav went around the left of the rough along with all the skirmishers. a huge skirmisher battle took place in the rough...but with LC and cav plus some MF present, the roman velites were destined to lose. the remaining cav hung out in the center...so if the romans left a gap to march against either flank, the cav could sneak thru. and that was what happened...eventually the romans had to committ, while guarding against the other flank...the two cav in the middle moved thru the center gap and attacked the romans engaged with the MF.

So hope that helps...again, with a 1000 variables every turn, you never know, but just keep in mind that if you are frontal assaulting romans on a regular basis...you are probably losing on a regular basis.

Last thought for all armies...elite troops are awesome and most armies have some...but inevitably you are going to be outnumbered if you build too many...so think about having some cheap troops to keep you numbers up. when i build an army i almost always strive to outnumber my opponent. those raw legions are great for soaking up some missiles, or hitting my opponent in the flank late in the game (ideally both).

hope folks find this helpful...and good hunting!
General Shapur

Post by General Shapur »

Thanks for the tips and the game !
markwatson360
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by markwatson360 »

A very interesting read, Is it the case now that all tournament games are mirrored? and also does everyone have the same map? Sorry Just re-read the top so I guess that's a Yes- yes answer.
Last edited by markwatson360 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob123
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Rob123 »

Thanks for the valuable tips.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

markwatson360 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:51 pm A very interesting read, Is it the case now that all tournament games are mirrored? and also does everyone have the same map? Sorry Just re-read the top so I guess that's a Yes- yes answer.
Yes and yes.
Richard Bodley Scott

General Shapur

Post by General Shapur »

Round 4 vs Macedonians seems like the closest battles so far. My games ended on a margin of single digits and it looks like others are going the same way too. Great terrain with both sides fighting over that hill. Anyone with a landslide - what was the chink in the other sides set up?
tomlowshang
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by tomlowshang »

General Shapur wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:57 pm Round 4 vs Macedonians seems like the closest battles so far. My games ended on a margin of single digits and it looks like others are going the same way too. Great terrain with both sides fighting over that hill. Anyone with a landslide - what was the chink in the other sides set up?
Having a clueless newbie (such as myself) for an opponent works well, but was probably not much fun for the more experienced player, so I do not recommend this strategy.
Wargaming live streams https://www.twitch.tv/tomlowshang
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Final placings:

1st klayeckles 872
2nd mst007 848
3rd rbodleyscott 769
Richard Bodley Scott

KiFi