Replay option

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
TheSkirmishLord
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Replay option

Post by TheSkirmishLord » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:58 pm

It would be nice to replay either a single player or multiplayer game with access to the battle data that you have while actually playing the game.

I asked about this when the game first came out and was told that it was on the developers wish list but that it would be a lot of work to create the option.

It's been awhile since then.

Is there any plan to actually implement this feature ?

If so, is there any time line as to when it will be completed ?

If not, is there any plan to work on it in the future ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

lapdog666
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Replay option

Post by lapdog666 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:47 pm

i d like that alot but trust me , they wont do it. not in this decade

and the real time multiplayer also, never

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:49 pm

Full game replays are actually on my tasklist, but as you have said it is a considerable task. Mainly the task of maintaining the save data (often you don't know whether you want a replay until the end of the game - but that means all the savegames (including MP) would balloon massively to maintain some kind of robustness, and to keep synced with the way the game expects playbacks to work).

Another issue is that things would likely break if the scripts/rules/data updated during a game, as the replays would expect to play out based on their initial rules and could likely end up with incorrect end states etc. So it is a feature with a lot of moving parts - while being one which some people would use a lot, but most people would use not at all :)

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here

SnuggleBunnies
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by SnuggleBunnies » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:18 am

It would be great to be able to watch battles from fellow players in various tournaments. For the League, for example, uploading loss win % and a replay would be great.

melm
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by melm » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:32 am

pipfromslitherine wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:49 pm
Mainly the task of maintaining the save data (often you don't know whether you want a replay until the end of the game - but that means all the savegames (including MP) would balloon massively to maintain some kind of robustness, and to keep synced with the way the game expects playbacks to work).
How large a file could a save be?
pipfromslitherine wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:49 pm
Another issue is that things would likely break if the scripts/rules/data updated during a game, as the replays would expect to play out based on their initial rules and could likely end up with incorrect end states etc.
That's all right. Other games in the industry don't always keep replay working. Once updated, replay is outdated. In fact, the game doesn't update very frequently.

Furthermore, replay is kind of crucial for adjudication. Loss report with some description may not provide enough information.
And a replay is easy for youtuber to record a continuous match to advertise this great game.

Juger Gonzo
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Juger Gonzo » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:42 am

Yeah guys, replay and real time MP, would be great add.

TheSkirmishLord
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by TheSkirmishLord » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:15 pm

@Pip
I have to disagree with your assumption that most people would never use the replay option.
I think that most players WOULD use it, especially when first playing, to see where they made errors in their gameplay.
Many players give up on a game if they can't get their head around the basic principles of it. I think this feature would help them and increase your player base.
It would also be a great advertising tool as mentioned by melm in a previous post since great games could be replayed for others to watch. From a personal viewpoint, it was early youtube battles that were posted before the game's release that prompted me to buy it.
Given that, I think the replay feature would yield more benefits than you think.

I appreciate that it's a difficult task and am VERY glad to see that the feature is still being considered.

nyczar
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by nyczar » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:26 am

I would definitely use a replay feature to improve my game play. That would indeed be a great value add, Hell if it was inexpensive, less than $10 US, I would pay to see some games between our wizards. Even more if there was a little voice over.

While I am not in IT, my boss wears a couple of hats, one of which is IT so I have heard aplenty the need for cost benefit analysis to justify any hour invested in coding. Here is what i would tell him: If replays were housed in a library there could be a tiered approach to accessibility. At an essential level, designed to illuminate the subtlety of FOG for newbies, the community would have access to any games recorded from B or lower level divisional play. The "A" division replays could be gated and monetized with pricing based on the depth of the library. Plus there would have to be games there by Lundendorf, pantherboy, Nosy_Rat, ruskicanuk; etc. to make it worth it. Then there is indeed the intangible, but I imagine more easily tracked, value of traffic being driven to the Steam or Slitherine FOG web page for purchase from replay content linked to in other websites.

If you accept the premise that anyone who plays Chess or Go is the target segment of FOG, I imagine the possible Market for FOG is huge. Serious players of go and chess will read and watch tons to improve their game play. A content library of recording games, properly marketed, would go a long way to driving consideration and purchase of the base game and could be monetized as well for purchase by those already in the community.

Return to “Field of Glory II”