Middle East Agricultural terrain

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Jagger2002
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Middle East Agricultural terrain

Post by Jagger2002 »

I have played three games in a row now using Middle East agricultural terrain in which the terrain produced appeared much more hilly than agricultural. I was seeing much of the map covered in hills including 200 ft hills and a fair amount of rough terrain. I am wondering if perhaps the terrain algorithm might be off for Middle East agricultural terrain? Or am I just getting a rash of extreme results?

Edit-double checked and terrain was middle east agricultural rather than mediteranean. So changed.
Last edited by Jagger2002 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlexDetrojan

Re: Mediterranean Agricultural terrain

Post by AlexDetrojan »

While we're talking about terrain, can we please change the houses depicted in many terrain sets from bronze age houses and classical era housing to something reflecting medieval homes since the new DLC's are now into the early medieval period?
Cheers
Alex
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Middle East Agricultural terrain

Post by rbodleyscott »

Jagger2002 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:21 pm I have played three games in a row now using Middle East agricultural terrain in which the terrain produced appeared much more hilly than agricultural. I was seeing much of the map covered in hills including 200 ft hills and a fair amount of rough terrain. I am wondering if perhaps the terrain algorithm might be off for Middle East agricultural terrain? Or am I just getting a rash of extreme results?

Edit-double checked and terrain was middle east agricultural rather than mediteranean. So changed.
It is working as intended. Agricultural areas aren't necessary devoid of hills (between the cultivated areas).

The terrain categories are meant to represent terrain in an agricultural region, a hilly region, a mountainous region etc. They are not meant to define the entire terrain on every such battlefield.

The battle that would be reported in a history book is the battle that finally occurs when the two forces engage. This usually does not fill the entire battle map. Part of the skill of generalship is to find the part of the battle map best suited to your forces and try to make the battle occur there.
Richard Bodley Scott

Jagger2002

Post by Jagger2002 »

Ok, thanks. I brought it up because it seemed a bit different from the past and much hillier than other regional agricultural maps. But then, the mediterranean area is much more hilly, rugged than other regions. So makes sense.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Jagger2002 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:09 pm Ok, thanks. I brought it up because it seemed a bit different from the past and much hillier than other regional agricultural maps. But then, the mediterranean area is much more hilly, rugged than other regions. So makes sense.
The maps are not pre-designed in any way. They are entirely randomly generated from scratch every time. The number of different battle maps, therefore, is unimaginably huge - for maps with exactly the same starting parameters the game will generate 4,294,967,295 different maps. You could play the game all day for the rest of your life and never see one repeated. (Except in tournament and mirror matches where the games use the same seed number for the random map generator - which ensures that the same map is used in each game).

The different terrain regions and types have a big influence on the map generation algorithm, but there is a huge random element to how the terrain actually fall out on a particular map.

Sometimes you will get atypical terrain.

This is intentional. There isn't much point in having 4,294,967,295 variant maps if the variations are too small to make much difference.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II”