POA effects of disorder and severe disorder?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
vakarr
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

POA effects of disorder and severe disorder?

Post by vakarr » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:09 am

I've been working on this video https://youtu.be/-P5I-YJu1zU and have found out a few useful things - I thought at BUA was difficult terrain, for instance, but in fact it is rough terrain. However I am a bit stumped to be able to say what the POA effect is of being disordered or severely disordered on elephants and impact foot (apart from a -1 for cohesion tests when severely disordered). What can I say about that? I finally found the "Hellenistic" typo so I guess I'll have to do a revised version.

Also, I couldn't find a FOG 2 terrain picture of medium or heavy fortifications.

melm
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: POA effects of disorder and severe disorder?

Post by melm » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:31 am

terrain doesn't effect POA. It only starts kicking in after POA translated into win-draw-loss percentage.

Cunningcairn
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by Cunningcairn » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:41 am

melm wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:31 am
terrain doesn't effect POA. It only starts kicking in after POA translated into win-draw-loss percentage.
That doesn't sound correct.

Cunningcairn

Post by Cunningcairn » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:45 am

vakarr wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:09 am
I've been working on this video https://youtu.be/-P5I-YJu1zU and have found out a few useful things - I thought at BUA was difficult terrain, for instance, but in fact it is rough terrain. However I am a bit stumped to be able to say what the POA effect is of being disordered or severely disordered on elephants and impact foot (apart from a -1 for cohesion tests when severely disordered). What can I say about that? I finally found the "Hellenistic" typo so I guess I'll have to do a revised version.

Also, I couldn't find a FOG 2 terrain picture of medium or heavy fortifications.
I'm yet to see fortifications in any form. There seems to be an alternative FOG2 universe to which I'm not aware of. Hang on, now I recall RBS's comments of the Illuminate to which I'm not privy.

melm

Post by melm » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:47 am

Cunningcairn wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:41 am
melm wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:31 am
That doesn't sound correct.
It doesn't if we go for the details of different unit types, but in general it does. I regard them as exceptions.

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:25 am

OK so if a Roman legionary goes into a wood, he becomes severely disordered, and what is the result of that precisely?

If you want to see some fortifications, download the Alesia scenario - though that only uses Field, or Light, Fortifications.

Paul59
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Paul59 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:51 am

Currently there are only Light Fortifications available in the Editor. They do not feature in any official scenarios, Custom Battles, or Campaigns. They are a carry over from Pike and Shot, so do not have proper textures.

I believe that the code for Medium and Heavy Fortifications is still in FOG2, but there are no models or textures. They of course do not feature in any official battle or campaigns.

Some user created scenarios have been created that feature fortifications, such as Odenathus' Alesia and my Panormus, they all feature models and textures adapted from other games.

Most players won't ever see them.

Terrain causes disorder and can negate Open terrain, so indirectly does affect POA greatly.

I will now sit back and wait for the deluge of posts saying that I am wrong!
Field of Glory 2 Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, and Wolves at the Gate.

TT Mod Creator

melm

Post by melm » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:59 am

Supposing a standard Roman cohort attacks sth. Let's say massed archers.
Impact phase.

Roman cohort gets +200 POA for impact foot, +50 POA for superiority quality.
massed archers. No impact capability.
So Roman gets 200 POA, which translates to about 65% probability advantage.

Because cohort is severely disrupted, then about 45% modified. Massed archers also moderately disrupted, so -22% modified.

Anyway, the impact POA for the legion cohort doesn't diminish when they charging into woods. Roman lost some probability advantage only through its cohesion state.

Paul59

Post by Paul59 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:02 pm

Oh dear, if you look at the POA table in the manual, you will see several troop types whose POA is affected by being disordered:

Field of Glory 2 Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, and Wolves at the Gate.

TT Mod Creator

Paul59

Post by Paul59 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:21 pm

I also should have highlighted all these of course:

A lot of terrain does not count as open, so the mounted troops lose their POA as above.

TT Mod Creator

MikeC_81
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by MikeC_81 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:33 pm

No point arguing semantics. The answer to the original question in the most technical sense is that PoA does not change by being disordered or disrupted.
The negative effects are calculated on top of baseline PoA but such things can affect what PoA you get assigned on the PoA lookup table. This happens with a lot of other situations too like inf charging shock cav vs recieving a charge.

Though I think most people understand instinctively that being disrupted or disordered is a bad thing though and will negatively affect bottom line performance
FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/

Paul59

Post by Paul59 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:06 pm

MikeC_81 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:33 pm
No point arguing semantics. The answer to the original question in the most technical sense is that PoA does not change by being disordered or disrupted.
The negative effects are calculated on top of baseline PoA but such things can affect what PoA you get assigned on the PoA lookup table. This happens with a lot of other situations too like inf charging shock cav vs recieving a charge.

Though I think most people understand instinctively that being disrupted or disordered is a bad thing though and will negatively affect bottom line performance
I did not realise that vakarr was originally talking about just Elephants and Impact Foot in disordering terrain. Thanks for pointing that out.

TT Mod Creator

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:10 pm

Yes I've always gone with the instinctive way of things, not bothering to work out the POA but looking at the troop type and the terrain to assess the likely result - but legionaries seem to be able to ignore terrain (certainly I've seen Roman players behave this way on YouTube) so I was wondering how they are disadvantaged as there is no disadvantage for impact foot in any sort of terrain. So being severely disordered gives a - 45% percentage point reduction in the final calculation of success and being disordered gives a lower percentage? Clearly I'm going to have to run through some test games to find out exactly what is going on.

MikeC_81

Post by MikeC_81 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:45 pm

vakarr wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:10 pm
Yes I've always gone with the instinctive way of things, not bothering to work out the POA but looking at the troop type and the terrain to assess the likely result - but legionaries seem to be able to ignore terrain (certainly I've seen Roman players behave this way on YouTube) so I was wondering how they are disadvantaged as there is no disadvantage for impact foot in any sort of terrain. So being severely disordered gives a - 45% percentage point reduction in the final calculation of success and being disordered gives a lower percentage? Clearly I'm going to have to run through some test games to find out exactly what is going on.
Legionaries take terrain penalties like everyone else. But their more elite units are so stupidly powerful (300 PoA) on impact that they can on occasion just ignore terrain altogether against lesser foes. For example Vet Roman Legionaries, despite being hobbled in rough terrain STILL have 50% chance to beat Thureophoroi in rough terrain on Impact and is pretty even afterwards.
FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:26 pm

OK so it's a - 22% penalty for disordered, and - 45% for severely disordered, calculated after all other factors (assuming it's not fragmented etc)

Return to “Field of Glory II”