A question for those playing SP?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
MarkShot
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

A question for those playing SP?

Post by MarkShot » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:33 am

In another thread, Mike makes a point about MP:

viewtopic.php?f=477&t=94560 "Please don't make me come across the map and get you."

He is basically saying "Come out and fight as opposed to forming the optimal defensive position which the map allows you."

I don't play MP, but SP. SP difficulty is not implemented by scaling unit stats, but unit numbers. It means, the harder it gets the more you are outnumbered by AI units. To me this is primarily a linear game with some non-linear aspects (skirmishers and cavalry). But my limited experience is that if you cannot preserve the integrity of your main battle line, then you will yield the field.

Now, I did once try to rush the enemy AI. I was vastly outnumbered (lost badly) and probably would have won a defensive fight.

Finally, my question to the SP community, can you win at higher levels of difficulty while taking the fight to the enemy (AI standard; not modded; v1.5.18)?

Thanks.

melm
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: A question for those playing SP?

Post by melm » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:27 pm

You can win on the highest level of difficulty through campaign, and you are absolutely right that you have to play extremely defensively as on the highest level not only the quantity but also the quality is inferior to AI army. For me, I have to exploit every bump on the map to help my foot to hold the enemy to create opportunity for my mounted. I used to exploit AI's deficiency to deploy my army facing one edge of the enemy battle array because usually the other flank of AI won't be quickly wheeling to envelope your rank. But now it may be harder to be successful to deploy like this since the AI has been improved.

MVP7
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by MVP7 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:39 pm

The AI will not advance unless it sees an advantage so usually you have to go to it. On very high difficulties the AI will come at the player more often but on the Legate (3rd) you have to go to the AI most of the time.

I play on the Legate difficulty pretty much exclusively. I find it challenging but winnable most of the time without needing to use any particularly gamey tactics or blatant exploits. Being passive or turtling isn't necessary or even that effective. If you let the AI have the initiative and freely move its troops around your flanks you are likely to lose.

As long as you use the terrain smartly, cover your flanks, and concentrate you force, it's not too hard to beat the larger AI army. If you try to win by smashing your inferior army right into the middle of the larger enemy army in even terrain you are likely to lose of course but that's just common sense.

MarkShot

Post by MarkShot » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:40 pm

I often identify advantageous terrain where I want the fight to be decided. Usually, it is not in my set up area or close. So, it means a dash. Lets just say Macedonian phalanxes are not good dashers. So, I screen them with skirmishers allowing them to get to where they need to be. Cavalry is usually off on the other flank to draw more of the enemy off. Beating a superior enemy means winning in detail.

Open Game: The dash for terrain; skirmishing/screening; cavalry maneuvers

Middle Game: The initial attacks on my main line and beginning of a counter attack; cavalry fights for supremacy

End Game: My main line has lost a little integrity, but the enemy is in serious disarray; if I had won the cavalry battle, then they are now looking for targets *

* Hidden surprise troops appear from hiding; if their shock affect is needed

Cunningcairn
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by Cunningcairn » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:37 am

MarkShot wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:40 pm
I often identify advantageous terrain where I want the fight to be decided. Usually, it is not in my set up area or close. So, it means a dash. Lets just say Macedonian phalanxes are not good dashers. So, I screen them with skirmishers allowing them to get to where they need to be. Cavalry is usually off on the other flank to draw more of the enemy off. Beating a superior enemy means winning in detail.

Middle Game: The initial attacks on my main line and beginning of a counter attack; cavalry fights for supremacy

End Game: My main line has lost a little integrity, but the enemy is in serious disarray; if I had won the cavalry battle, then they are now looking for targets *

You should try a multiplayer game. The AI cannot much a real life opponent.

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:04 pm

Cunningcairn wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:37 am
MarkShot wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:40 pm

You should try a multiplayer game. The AI cannot much a real life opponent.
It can if you don’t abuse it.

MVP7

Post by MVP7 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:28 pm

The AI has improved quite a bit over a year. It still won't win in even fight but even on difficulty 3 I find the battles always interesting.

Return to “Field of Glory II”