FOG Empires + FOG II Question

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
gbaby
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

FOG Empires + FOG II Question

Post by gbaby » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:27 pm

I really have enjoyed FOG II immensely and mostly interested in Tactical vs Strategic games, so I would have been very happy with only FOG II. But with release of FOG Empires, who can resist? So after just purchasing that game, I'm in the middle of reading the manual and reading about the game online. Looks like I'm going to be very, very happy.

One thing I saw was mention that FOG Empires does not require FOG II to have any DLC installed, it only requires FOG II base game if exporting battles. That is nice, but for FOG II fanatics, every DLC is going to get owned and all future ones. So a couple of questions.

1. FOG Empires covers approximately 500 years with 500 turns. Does FOG II use additional models provided from FOG II DLCs if present or does it always use FOG II base game models only? Would be shame if a DLC model would be more appropriate "if available", but is ignored due to restrictions on the goal of base game models only. I haven't played FOG Empires yet except to fiddle around with it, so I'm ignorant.

2. Obviously, I assume future DLC with FOG Empire, or another release covering other periods. Sooner or later, it is going to require FOG II DLC to match up to the period. Of course, something else could be done as well, like integrating FOG II into FOG Empires that will include all required models in game. I hope not, but who knows. I don't doubt something will be done in the future that will make us all very happy, just can't help to do a little conjecturing.

This is not a question. Forget it, I'm not even going to mention it... well, maybe do some further conjecturing... hmm... would be nice in future to have sieges and naval battles exported from FOG Empires as well, yes, I think that would be somewhat satisfying. Naval exported to some other new product similar to FOG II, since FOG has never been about naval. Siege, hmm... maybe some additional FOG rules for allowing such, to expand the systems rule set and capabilities. Okay, need to stop the day dreaming....

Looking forward to further DLC for FOG II. They are all fantastic and what we have is plenty to keep busy for years, but I like to mix period flavors, not stick to same era. The more, the merrier. Keep up the fantastic work!

Mord
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Location: North of Innsmouth, Mordbunker HQ, Windham, ME, USA

Re: FOG Empires + FOG II Question

Post by Mord » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:32 am

gbaby wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:27 pm

would be nice in future to have sieges and naval battles ....I think that would be somewhat satisfying.

Siege, hmm... maybe some additional FOG rules for allowing such, to expand the systems rule set and capabilities.
YES and YES!

I don't care about FoGE but but I absolutely want to see some expansion in these areas in FoG. I'd be happy if we could just simulate naval raids ala Viking or Persians, Greeks, whatever.

As far as Sieges they'd be a cool addition. They don't have to be overly complicated but including walls and towers and such in the editor would be enough to give us something to work with. I think there's definitely opportunity for some new features.

Seas of Glory.

Siege of Glory.

Bring them on!

Mord.

Paul59
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Paul59 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:08 pm

gbaby wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:27 pm
I really have enjoyed FOG II immensely and mostly interested in Tactical vs Strategic games, so I would have been very happy with only FOG II. But with release of FOG Empires, who can resist? So after just purchasing that game, I'm in the middle of reading the manual and reading about the game online. Looks like I'm going to be very, very happy.

One thing I saw was mention that FOG Empires does not require FOG II to have any DLC installed, it only requires FOG II base game if exporting battles. That is nice, but for FOG II fanatics, every DLC is going to get owned and all future ones. So a couple of questions.

1. FOG Empires covers approximately 500 years with 500 turns. Does FOG II use additional models provided from FOG II DLCs if present or does it always use FOG II base game models only? Would be shame if a DLC model would be more appropriate "if available", but is ignored due to restrictions on the goal of base game models only. I haven't played FOG Empires yet except to fiddle around with it, so I'm ignorant.

2. Obviously, I assume future DLC with FOG Empire, or another release covering other periods. Sooner or later, it is going to require FOG II DLC to match up to the period. Of course, something else could be done as well, like integrating FOG II into FOG Empires that will include all required models in game. I hope not, but who knows. I don't doubt something will be done in the future that will make us all very happy, just can't help to do a little conjecturing.

This is not a question. Forget it, I'm not even going to mention it... well, maybe do some further conjecturing... hmm... would be nice in future to have sieges and naval battles exported from FOG Empires as well, yes, I think that would be somewhat satisfying. Naval exported to some other new product similar to FOG II, since FOG has never been about naval. Siege, hmm... maybe some additional FOG rules for allowing such, to expand the systems rule set and capabilities. Okay, need to stop the day dreaming....

Looking forward to further DLC for FOG II. They are all fantastic and what we have is plenty to keep busy for years, but I like to mix period flavors, not stick to same era. The more, the merrier. Keep up the fantastic work!

If you own just the FOG2 base game, and have patched it up to date, you already have all the DLC units!

Just think about it, when you update FOG2 it takes several minutes, but if you add a DLC it takes a fraction of a second. Obviously the bulk of the data is in the patch.

Buying the DLCs enables you to play the DLC Historical battles and campaigns, and create Random battles and campaigns that include the new armies.

Without buying the DLC you can still accept a MP challenge created by another player who has the DLC. You can also create your own historical scenarios in the Editor that use DLC units.

So the link with Empires is not affected by the DLCs that you own. If your exported Empires battle contains DLC units, you already have them. The current Empires game already extends into the early Roman Empire and includes units from the Legions Triumphant DLC, but you don't need that DLC to play exported Empires battles in FOG2 even if it includes LT units, you already have them in your game.
Field of Glory 2 Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, and Wolves at the Gate.

TT Mod Creator

gbaby

Post by gbaby » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:13 pm

Paul59, I think you missed my point or miss-read. I know you don't need DLC for FOGE, which I stated. I have all the FOG II DLC and I know how to use them for FOGII. I just wanted to know if FOG II would use the army lists of DLC I have for an exported battle from FOGE, even though FOGE says no DLC required. It is the "DLC not required" I was asking about, does that also mean that if I have FOG II DLC that covers FOGE period, will it be used or ignored.

To clarify, just wanted to know if I have FOG II DLC installed, will any of it be used to enrich my experience with FOG Empires.

MVP7
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by MVP7 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:00 pm

Like Paul said, you have all the FoG2 DLC installed even if you don't own them and FOG Empires can utilize units from any DLC and will do so even if you don't own that DLC for FoG2.

Paul59
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Paul59 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:13 pm

gbaby wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:13 pm
Paul59, I think you missed my point or miss-read. I know you don't need DLC for FOGE, which I stated. I have all the FOG II DLC and I know how to use them for FOGII. I just wanted to know if FOG II would use the army lists of DLC I have for an exported battle from FOGE, even though FOGE says no DLC required. It is the "DLC not required" I was asking about, does that also mean that if I have FOG II DLC that covers FOGE period, will it be used or ignored.

To clarify, just wanted to know if I have FOG II DLC installed, will any of it be used to enrich my experience with FOG Empires.
Sorry gbaby, you have completely lost me! I have reread your first post, and I still think I answered it perfectly.

I will try to put it another way;

If you buy a DLC, you will gain from all the wonderful content that it includes, but it will not affect your enjoyment of FOG Empires in anyway, as you already have all the DLC units in your version of FOG2 if you have the latest patch.

Currently, FOG Empires does use units from the Legions Triumphant DLC. But you don't need to buy the Legions Triumphant DLC, you already have the units in your game if you have the latest FOG2 patch.

So say you get to 50 AD in Empires, and your exported battle includes Imperial Roman Legionaries. You will get Imperial Roman Legionaries in your FOG2 battle, it will not substitute Republican Roman Legionaries if you don't own Legions Triumphant.

The FOG2 army lists are NOT used in Empires. and they are NOT used in the export of battles from Empires to FOG2.
Last edited by Paul59 on Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Field of Glory 2 Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, and Wolves at the Gate.

TT Mod Creator

gbaby

Post by gbaby » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:15 pm

Oh, DUH! Okay, I get it now. That is good to know. The DLC purchase just unlocks access to the DLC armies in FOG II itself.

Thanks.

Paul59
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Paul59 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:17 pm

BTW, before anyone jumps in and queries my use of the date 50 AD, I was only selecting a safe (hopefully) date for which Imperial Roman Legionaries could be used in Empires. The actual date probably depends upon the progress of the Empires campaign and the decisions taken by the Roman player.

TT Mod Creator

Return to “Field of Glory II”